Sapphire Gong Show Vancouver

Putterdude

:confused:

Just got to our room on the 3 day YVR/LAX that follows the posting associated posting. They are going to do the same thing in San Pedro. Everyone is a walkoff except for those with Princess Transfers, Princess Post Cruise Packages or the 2 large groups.

The hallways are always jammed up for normal Express Walk Off in San Pedro, I can't wait to see what they look like on Saturday, 9/26.

Will let ya know after it happens.

That is very interesting about the embarkation process for the repositioning to San Pedro. Yes we did get a card that were handed out by some Canada Place people just as we were boarding; well after customs and the check in process but we really didn't catch their significance until the baggage tags didn't arrive.

We caught sight of the Sapphire rounding Point Grey and heading for Jaun de Fuca Strait at about 5:30 ...as I recall so she must have not been too badly delayed. It hard to believe the Alaska season is all but over, it is like it just began last week....Georgia Strait has looked pretty darn empty for the last 2 evenings and they really have been lovely evenings. We will likely head for the land of "no cruise ships" a month tomorrow.

Just got to our room on the 3 day YVR/LAX that follows the posting associated posting. They are going to do the same thing in San Pedro. Everyone is a walkoff except for those with Princess Transfers, Princess Post Cruise Packages or the 2 large groups.

The hallways are always jammed up for normal Express Walk Off in San Pedro, I can't wait to see what they look like on Saturday, 9/26.

Will let ya know after it happens.

We will look forward to your post....but in the meantime be prepared for the worst....what the heck is going thru the minds of the "brain trust" aboard that ship.:eek:

Princess decided to do the same thing with the Star yesterday. It was a two day cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco. Yes, most passengers were traveling light. But, some of us were finishing a long holiday with the cruise. I will hand it to the Star staff - at least they offered the option to have your bags collected the night before. Most did not do it, but it was at least offered. I decided to try and handle my own big bags just to see how it went. Going from C749 to mid ship then down the stairs and through the docks - not fun. Will definitely have bags collected next time.

How absolutely awful for you and all other Vancouverites. Ridiculous. Not the way a cruise should end after having spent money for the "entire" cruise process, which IMO, includes (not self-)disembarkation.

So sorry about that. I hope other locals will voice their opinions to Corporate as well.

I would love to hear an explanation as to the reasoning behind the decision. Staffing? Timing? Cost? I'm struggling with coming up with a reasonable explanation that could justify this kind of policy. What was the purpose? And after it obviously failed in a spectacular way, to continue the policy on the NEXT voyage?

Want some cheese with that whine?:eek:

You are way off base with that comment. Many of us here know Putterdude and he is a very reasonable person, not to mention a valuable resource helping cruisers with terrific Vancouver information. He is most certainly NOT a whiner. The situation he describes, (which by the way has been corroborated by others) was completely unacceptable and clearly created a very poor disembarkation situation, especially for those with disabilities.

Perhaps before you make a flip comment like that you might want to read through the entire thread and really understand what is being communicated instead of just being rude.

"Why was everybody else offered the option,and you were only one not offered this, putterdude?? "

I believe that they are talking about two different ships but both were Princess and both were short repos.

PD - probably will enjoy some wine with his cheese this evening after he gets back from the golf course - with temps in the mid 70's it is an ideal day here to enjoy the fresh sea air of the Sunshine Coast.

And yes PD - walking by Canada Place and not seeing those big ships parked there is a little depressing especially since I don't have another one booked.

For those keeping track: 3 months from today is Christmas

Cheers

Dennis

ok, let's get one thing straight. i used to work for princess. i was a lead diver when the new waves program was running. let me enligten you a little. Princess has nothing to do with disembarkation. It is customs and immigration that tell us what to do and how to do it. Trust me, I have seen disembarkation procedures be a real nightmare. I don't know if any of you have ever embarked or disembarked in galveston texas. Things there were so bad and so disorganized that princess decided to abolish galveston. One of you said that this could have caused a riot. let me tell you that if that ever happened, the crew would love it becuase some of your complaints are so trivial that it would be nice to relieve some stress by hitting a few of you and the nice thing is that there would be no punishment towards the crew because they would be protecting the ship. So the next time things go wrong anytime during the cruises, take a moment and think if it is really princess doing this or is it by orders of someone else. So yeah, want some cheese with that whine?

ok, let's get one thing straight. i used to work for princess. i was a lead diver when the new waves program was running. let me enligten you a little. Princess has nothing to do with disembarkation. It is customs and immigration that tell us what to do and how to do it. Trust me, I have seen disembarkation procedures be a real nightmare. I don't know if any of you have ever embarked or disembarked in galveston texas. Things there were so bad and so disorganized that princess decided to abolish galveston. One of you said that this could have caused a riot. let me tell you that if that ever happened, the crew would love it becuase some of your complaints are so trivial that it would be nice to relieve some stress by hitting a few of you and the nice thing is that there would be no punishment towards the crew because they would be protecting the ship. So the next time things go wrong anytime during the cruises, take a moment and think if it is really princess doing this or is it by orders of someone else. So yeah, want some cheese with that whine?

Princess staff, not the U.S. government, decides the order of disembarkation on board the ship. Immigration could care less about that.

I embarked/disembarked Grand Princess at Galveston three times with absolutely no trouble at all.

Each time was Texas Spring Break and Grand was overflowing with families.

Princess left Galveston because of low on-board revenues.

Port amenities don't determine where cruise lines dock, $$$$ decides that.

You can continue to be a wisea**, or contribute in a constructive manner. Your decision.

You are so wrong!!! it is customs and Immigration that tell Princess how to do the disembarkation. If you read my post, I used to work for princess. We had meetings before turnaround day and we were told what to do via e-mail by customs and immigration. If you wish to believe or not believe me, your choice. I done with this thread. enjoy your cheese!!

You are so wrong!!! it is customs and Immigration that tell Princess how to do the disembarkation. If you read my post, I used to work for princess. We had meetings before turnaround day and we were told what to do via e-mail by customs and immigration. If you wish to believe or not believe me, your choice. I done with this thread. enjoy your cheese!!

I agree the process is led by customs and immigration however they do not decree how bags are handled and have no interest in whether passengers are allowed to carry their bags or leave them out the night before.

As for Galveston, Princess withdrew because of profitability on that route. Over a 4 month period I never saw an issue with embarkation or disembarkation.

With your attitude I am not suprised that you no longer work for Princess, the good crew may receive abuse from passengers but they do not discuss it in public ever.

I left Princess on my own accord and because new waves was terminated. The way they started treating the crew because of the recession was just unacceptable. It was is if it was the crew's fault that the recession happened and management just kept pounding the crew for every little thing that happened on the ship. You were not there for every turnaround in galveston. I do agree that it was not just the turnaround days that princess decided to leave galveston, but it did have a part in it.

I left Princess on my own accord and because new waves was terminated. The way they started treating the crew because of the recession was just unacceptable. It was is if it was the crew's fault that the recession happened and management just kept pounding the crew for every little thing that happened on the ship.

So just to be clear, it is fine for you to complain about Princess and the way YOU were treated as an employee, but per your extremely rude responses, the OP, a paying customer of Princess, has no right to complain about the way he was treated. Interesting double standard you have there. :rolleyes:

By the way, the OP was also commenting on management and the decision to make even elderly and disabled passengers self disembark carrying their own luggage, a decision that was in no way related to immigration or customs procedures. So it appears that you both have an issue with management, but for some reason you seem to feel you have a more valid right to express your displeasure. It would seem you have a giant chip on your shoulder because of your personal experience, but that doesn't make it OK to treat people who post valid concerns in such a rude and hostile manner.

:eek:

One of you said that this could have caused a riot. let me tell you that if that ever happened, the crew would love it becuase some of your complaints are so trivial that it would be nice to relieve some stress by hitting a few of you and the nice thing is that there would be no punishment towards the crew because they would be protecting the ship.

My husband & I had only rolling carry-on cases, so in fact we found it quite easy. At our appointed time we just walked down the stairs & joined the queue. Was it busy? Yes. We shuffled along with everyone else down the gangway, through the terminal, through customs & immigration, out to the street & skytrain. I can understand your complaints however. Those people who had larger suitcases and/or were not in a position to carry their own cases must have found it extremely vexing. People were getting in the elevators and going up, just so they could stay on to ride down again... Not quite sure why Princess weren't collecting cases the night before as usual??? Believe me though, this disembarkation, as disorganized as it was, is nothing next to disembarking in Buenos Aires. Now THAT's a gong show!:eek:

Archived