Tikal

Traveler 13

I am traveling on the Statendam leaving San Diego 11/27/09. There is an expensive tour out of Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala to Tikal. Has anyone taken this one day tour? Is it worth the price? What are the flights like? I have been to Copan. Thanks for your help.

Haven't done this exact tour. Several years ago we drove in from Belize on a tour, by car, and spent the day in Tikal. It was fabulous. We had a terrific guide (Incan) and it was very worthwhile. You might go over to the ports of call boards and pose your questions there. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=460

Probably in 1999, I did the tour to Tikale with HAL and it was spectacular. It was pricey then, and I'm sure is even more so now, but for me at the time, it was a very enjoyable day.

The bus from port to the airport was a hoot. It was very colorful and somewhere along the way on the bumpy roads, the back door flew open. Flight was not memorable, but Tikale was. There is a fair amount of walking over uneven surfaces. At that time, we were able to climb to the top of the great temple which was spectacular. I don't know if they still allow that. I asked a guide at another ruin site in Mexico a couple of years ago, and he said yes, they still allow it, but who knows now. Unfortunately, as so frequently happens, there were people on the tour who didn't know the rigors of the excursion and should not have been on it. All other Mayan ruins I've seen since look like toys compared to Tikale. (IMHO!)

All that said, it is one of the more memorable ship sponsored shore excursions I've taken. If you go, I hope you enjoy.

How much time do you actually spend at Tikal? The site is extensive with lotsa interesting ruins so you need adequate time to absorb it all. And energy to climb the mammoth step-pyramid (if still permitted). We visited Tikal as a sidetrip from Belize. We stayed overnite near the ruins & spent most of the next day there. Tikal is certainly worth the trip. But I'd want to make sure that timing on-site was adequate before committing to HAL shorex.

They basically tell you in the description of the shore excursion how long you will be at Tikal. The shore excursion is 9 hours. It takes 1.5 hours to get to Flores (3hrs round trip). It takes 1 hour from Flores to Tikal (2hours round trip). It have to walk 2.25 miles to get to the site (approximately another 1.5 hours round trip--maybe longer). They are going to feed you on the location. So my guess it will be only 1.5 to 2 hours at Tikal (or 2.5 without food). Certainly not enough time to see Tikal---it would take days. But if you aren't going to do a ground tour of Guatemala in the near future, it certainly would be worth it.

I have wanted to go to Tikal since I saw Palenque in 1972. I have never made it. So this excursion is one that I signed up for. If I get to Tikal on a ground tour sometime in the future, so much the better. But at least this will be one of the places of the world I will get to see before I die.

We took the HAL Tikal excursion from Santo Tomas in January 2009, and another line's version of the same trip in March of 2007. A number of writers compare Copan to Paris and Tikal to New York: I wouldn't want to have to choose between the two! (fyi I have NOT seen Copan, but a number of other Mayan sites). I would go back to Tikal in a minute, even on another half day tour. At Tikal, you'll see more that suggests the astonishing scale and scope of Mayan culture; I believe that Copan shows Mayan art and craft to better advantage.

Yes, of course, four or five hours is only a sample, and an expensive sample at that! With the museum, the national park merits at least two full days. But sometimes some of us will (for a number of reasons) choose this compromise.

HAL provided safe and comfortable transportation (I honestly saw duct tape holding the pilot's door closed on our previous trip!) - a small (maybe 20 pax?) modern aircraft and the usual ACd coach. The flight was smooth and scenic, about 50 minutes IIRC.

Extensive reconstruction and excavation is underway (though slowed by the American recession), so which temples you are allowed to climb varies. I think you can always climb at least one of the structures in the Great Plaza and several of the outliers. Even if you cannot climb a certain temple, you will be able to see it from the base.

Much depends on your guide's and fellow tourists' energy. On our first visit, our guide decided to go all out: we hiked a big loop before even entering the plaza and were offered three structures to climb en route; we did the whole half-day almost at a trot, and it was 106 degrees!. With HAL's tour, the guide took us more directly to the plaza, gave us more time to explore on our own, and it was in the 80s and overcast.

Obviously, I thought it was worth the price. Your mileage may vary, right?

We did the Tikal tour many years ago to. Then it was a little over 400 per person. DHs only concern was with the airplane. The description at the time said we would be taking a jet so we booked. It was an 18 passenger propeller plane like KK mentions. We sat in the very back in what would normally be the luggage compartment. The flight was very beautiful over the jungle. We had a window down through the floor.

Also the airport has a very heavy military presence.

I think we would pass if it was the same plane. DH rates that as one of the real risk factors in travel.

Plus I would be sure to read on the state department site if the area is having alot of unrest.

Great trip. Just have to make sure you are comfortable with the details.

Those who go do a trip report so we can all relive the experience.

We were just in Tikal in May and loved it. We did a land tour and stayed overnight in the park, but I think you can see the highlights in 2-3 hours. You will never forget it: the scale is massive (it must have been the New York of Mayan cities.) You can still climb one of the temples...wooden stairs have been built, so if you can take heights the climb is not too bad. The restaurant area is basic and serves basic food: chicken & rice, that sort of thing. I can't imagine you would spend more than 15 minutes eating.

Lots of people with guns in Guatemala, all the park rangers carry 'em. The rangers have problems with looters and poachers, none of whom operate in the tourist areas. Everyone was very friendly and the area is considered safe.

Very hot at midday, but you're in the jungle so much of the trip is covered by the forest canopy. Lots of monkeys (howler and spider) and birds. The oropendolas in the acropolis are fabulous with their hanging nests and unforgetable call. We were there in the dry season, but in damper times bring your bug spray!

A very special place.

David

Archived