Damaged Luggage - what did Princess do?

bjkTX

On our recent cruise we went to pick up our luggage at the cruise terminal in Brooklyn. One bag was crushed and the top broken open. Our other bag was lost, but eventually found. I was assisted in completing a claim form on the spot and it was signed by the agent there. I was told if I didn't hear from them in 2 or 3 weeks to call.

I haven't heard so I called today. After giving all the information to one person the line went dead... I called back, repeated everything and was told there was no record of the claim on my booking an after she called the "Property" department she asked me to email them a copy of my claim...

I did that an hour or so ago - and just now I received an email reply with a letter attached (dated today) saying basically I had to take my suitcase to someone and get them to say it can or cannot be repaired and send it to them.

Who in the h--- do you go to to get an estimate on luggage repair??? :-)

We also had trip insurance but I'm sure if I try to file against it they are going to ask if I exhausted my claim with Princess.

Any experiences out there that might give me a clue what to do now?

You do what they're asking you to do -- take it to a luggage repair shop (isn't Google wonderful?) and get an estimate. Sometimes shops advertised as "shoe repair shops" will also repair luggage. If they charge for the estimate, send that along with your claim, to Princess. And wait. Bureaucracies operate the same everywhere: delay, delay, delay, and hope the "customer" goes away. If the customer is persistant, eventually settle.

I had a piece of luggage ripped when it was delivered to my cabin on the Coral two or three years ago. I ended up having my cabin steward throw it away as it was too ripped to fix with my trusty duct tape. Princess came through after a couple of letters. I was honest with them about the type of luggage and the price. I never pay more than $100 or so, always shop the sales, as the expensive luggage gets beat up just as bad as the cheaper stuff. IMHO. They sent me a check for $100 and I hit another sale!

The brand of bag I use, Briggs & Riley is pretty pricey (but still less than, say, Tumi) has an interesting warranty policy: If you can get something vaguely resembling your bag to a repair outlet or mail it in, they will repair/replace it. It matters not if the damage was due to wear and tear, airline damage, cruise damage, being submerged in the ocean for a week, or being trampled by a herd of wild elephants; they will repair or replace it. They do not require you to file a damage claim with the airline/cruise ship/whoever before sending it in.

It was an expensive bag, but I've had it for many years now, and except for a scuffs and a worn grip, it looks like the day it left the factory. You can tell they built it to last.

SirWired

Do a Google on "luggage repair San Antonio" and you will find several businesses that can give you an estimate..

If this doesn't work contact of one of the airlines that serves San Antonio. They will know the luggage repair places in that area.

You should also contact the company who provided your trip insurance even though they may default to Princess. They should pick up the tab if Princess doesn't. It will also will lock in the notification date. Most have to be contacted within a certain amount of time.

We also had trip insurance but I'm sure if I try to file against it they are going to ask if I exhausted my claim with Princess.

Contact the insurance company, don't assume that they won't be of any assistance.

Thanks - all good points and suggestions! I had used Google and found a shoe/luggage repair shop on the other side of town, and a ladies handbag store in a mall that says they do repairs... :-)

I think I'll call a couple of local shoe repair places and see if they can do the estimate before I trek across town - or at least say the thing is totaled since the way the top is ripped out I doubt it could be fixed (for long). Second call will be to the baggage claim folks at the airport - great tip!

Thanks again.

Thanks - all good points and suggestions! I had used Google and found a shoe/luggage repair shop on the other side of town, and a ladies handbag store in a mall that says they do repairs... :-)

I think I'll call a couple of local shoe repair places and see if they can do the estimate before I trek across town - or at least say the thing is totaled since the way the top is ripped out I doubt it could be fixed (for long). Second call will be to the baggage claim folks at the airport - great tip!

Thanks again.

If the luggage is "totalled" and obviously not repairable, I suspect the Princess people will accept an e-mail with Hi-Res Photos and/or a letter with Photos enclosed? ken

If the luggage is "totalled" and obviously not repairable, I suspect the Princess people will accept an e-mail with Hi-Res Photos and/or a letter with Photos enclosed? ken

That would probably work if they were going to accept my evaluation of what it's worth - I doubt they'd agree it was worth $3,500 :-)

My son and DIL had some luggage damaged by water during debarkation on the Crown two years ago and I was really impressed how quickly, efficiently, and generously Princess took care of them.

That would probably work if they were going to accept my evaluation of what it's worth - I doubt they'd agree it was worth $3,500 :-)

A receipt accompanying the photos would take care of that!!! Do you have receipts (or ads showing new cost of same luggage)?

Princess's liability for for loss or damage to your baggage or personal property is limited to U.S. $250 per Passenger. If you have princess Trip Protection it's up to $1,500 (per insured?) if covered by Princess Vacation Protection, or up to $3,000 (per insured?) if covered by Princess Platinum Vacation Protection.

How many PAX are "sharing" this $3500 luggage? What Trip Insurance do you have? Some insurance provides ereplacement cost, others provide pro-rated cost.

ken

The $3,500 was meant as a joke...

I keep a lot of receipts but unfortunately not for luggage. 30 years traveling in the military and 13 in my civilian job I never lost or had a suitcase damaged so it just wasn't something I thought about. I'll be sure to keep the next one :-)

The handle on my mother's 10 year old $25 suitcase was damaged during embarkation on the Golden Princess a couple of weeks ago. She showed it to the room steward and he took it away. About 2 days later it reappeared with an excellent repair. We were very impressed. :D

Archived