Good Morning from the PACIFIC PRINCESS

Toto2Kansas

OH NO! Yes, it was on the balcony that they began to drip, and that lasted about 36 hours on the balcony after we first reported it. When maintenance was trying to repair it, someone turned the valve the wrong way, and turned them on (just like there was a fire to put out). Hugh Baldwin (the chief engineer) told us it was human error that caused it to totally go off.

But it sounds like they are still having problems. My DH does this sort of work for a living, and he said that those sprinkler pipes on the balcony should not have any water in them, not unless they are leaking through. They are manually operated so the water dripping is caused from a leak through the valve. Hugh also explained it the same way, but told us that maintenance seems to be afraid to report this sort of thing to him. Keep calling to have someone show up, unless you want to get really wet. Or, don't take anything of value out on your balcony until you are sure it is repaired, again! It started out with an occasional drip, which turned into a bigger drip, that turned into a constant stream of water out of all four sprinkler heads each time the ship rocked. If maintenance tries to tell you it's normal, call the purser's desk and tell them you want to talk to Hugh Baldwin...........seriously! And good luck!

It's not dripping---so that's a good sign--when we called yesterday to report the situation--they said they would send a plumber--He must have gotten lost

With our changed itinerary we are now in Bora Bora--I'm still on the ship for about--then get the tender and go across--By the way we have great sunshine at the moment--this may be a really good day--John is already across for his helmet dive--not my cup of tea--I'll go over in about an hour to meetup with him and then then we have a snorkeling/Ray Ballet--I'm happy enough without the rays--I have no problem at all enjoying the boat--I figure that once or twice with rays is plently--we're here for the 2 days then on to Raitaia then Moorea and Papeete and time to catch an early morning flight--this works well for us rather than hanging around for the best part of the day

Nancy:D

Nancy, I have been checking frequently since last night for an update from you.

Happy to hear the sprinkler stopped dripping. Remember, it took us two full days of reporting our problem, although our's was much more than just a drip, and that plumber still couldn't seem to find his way to our suite. lol

Glad to hear you have sunshine and hopefully it will stay for both days in Bora Bora. My all time favorite island is Bora Bora, there is just something magical about that place IMHO.

Have you seen any sign of the canoe races?

Enjoy your days in Bora Bora, I will be watching the web cam from afar. :)

Nancy, I have been checking frequently since last night for an update from you.

Happy to hear the sprinkler stopped dripping. Remember, it took us two full days of reporting our problem, although our's was much more than just a drip, and that plumber still couldn't seem to find his way to our suite. lol

Glad to hear you have sunshine and hopefully it will stay for both days in Bora Bora. My all time favorite island is Bora Bora, there is just something magical about that place IMHO.

Have you seen any sign of the canoe races?

Enjoy your days in Bora Bora, I will be watching the web cam from afar. :)

Haven't seen anything since we boarded--saw many at the IC Bora Bora--the IC was having lots of visitors--sometimes they enjoying being in the wake of other boats.

I think that only one sailing to FP didn't have an itinerary change for one reason or another.--Our second FP trip we had 4 sea days in a row--we just bounced around for hours at ports they thought we might pull into--most everyones excursions were made to work with this new situation

Although I wouldn't be the least surprised to find a thread on this change and feel they should be compensated--we're not missing a stop just changing days.

Back to the cabin after picking up a Diet Coke and gather mky goodies and head for the tender.

Nancy:D

Thanks for the info on the Video Poker machines--sure helped my winnings--the 3rd one as you mentioned and the 2nd one wasn't bad either--now--I must admit that they were'nt great all the time--but--just get them where they are giving 3 of a kind--4 of a kind comes next--you're correct--just stay with it and you'll get several 4 of a kinds close together--

Again Thanks,

Nancy:D:D

Thanks for the info on the Video Poker machines--sure helped my winnings--the 3rd one as you mentioned and the 2nd one wasn't bad either--now--I must admit that they were'nt great all the time--but--just get them where they are giving 3 of a kind--4 of a kind comes next--you're correct--just stay with it and you'll get several 4 of a kinds close together--

Again Thanks,

Happy to hear you had some success on the video poker slots. I know that last 24 hours, all three of those first machines nearest the bar just kept paying off time and time again. It gave me something to do while waiting for the transfer to the airport, and quite profitable too, I might add. ;)

I was told that when the Pacific goes into dry dock (before the world cruise) that all the machines will be changed out and the new ones with the cruise card reader will be installed. I did miss those on this last cruise, they make it so much easier than scooping coins.

Toto2Kansas,

I want to thank you again for sharing your experience. Your experience convinced us to book your same cruise for next September on the Royal Princess. I cleared the waitlist and I now have an O.S. booked leaving on September 24. Princess should pay you a finders fee.

I have deck 6 aft starboard side booked. The O.S. on the port side Deck 8 is available, but I would be a little concerned about the noise from above. You previously provided me your input of O.S. cabin selection. If you were booking again and your choice was aft Starboard on deck 6 or aft Port on deck 8 which would you chose?

Enjoy your cruise in 2011.

Now, I have to convince my DW to do a B2B.

Thanks.

Toto2Kansas,

If you were booking again and your choice was aft Starboard on deck 6 or aft Port on deck 8 which would you chose?

Now, I have to convince my DW to do a B2B.

Thanks.

My choice would be deck 6, either port or starboard. Although we knew someone in the OS deck 8 port side, they said they were not bothered by any noise from above. But I still would choose deck 6, it was a perfect location for us.

Gosh, ya think Princess will agree on that finders fee for all these OS suites booked? lol Wouldn't that be nice! :)

But I have to tell you, this will be a cruise of a lifetime in this OS suite. And keep working on that DW about the B2B. It really added to the total enjoyment as 10-12 days goes by just way too quickly. Best of luck on extending your cruise, and I hope you have a marvelous time, as we did.

But I have to tell you, this will be a cruise of a lifetime in this OS suite. And keep working on that DW about the B2B. It really added to the total enjoyment as 10-12 days goes by just way too quickly. Best of luck on extending your cruise, and I hope you have a marvelous time, as we did.

Thank you for your quick reply and well wishes. I will stay with the 6091 that we have booked. It will be our first cruise in a full suite and I hope that it does not spoil us too much. Special celebration for us. Your feedback is very helpful.

I have cruised on the the R class ship that has the larger cabins on Deck 8 and they were actually very nice, this will be really extra special.

Thank you for your quick reply and well wishes. I will stay with the 6091 that we have booked. It will be our first cruise in a full suite and I hope that it does not spoil us too much. Special celebration for us. Your feedback is very helpful.

I have cruised on the the R class ship that has the larger cabins on Deck 8 and they were actually very nice, this will be really extra special.

I know you didn't ask my opinion-- but we just spent our last cruise in 6088 and loved it just like we loved 6088 both times on the Tahitian Princess--just disembarked 2 days ago !!

Have a great cruise !!!

Inputs are always welcome. Actually 6088 on the Port side was the first suggestion, but it is already booked. So I am on the other side. I will keep checking to see if it becomes available, perhaps someone will cancel. Thanks.

I thought that the availability of cabins was strange last week. Over a week ago, the Princess website showed 3 O.S. cabins available. When I went to book it a week ago, none were available. Today, when my waitlist cleared, there were the same 3 available again. Seems strange. I also noticed that over a week ago, BA was G only and now a lot of cabins are available.

Many times there will be a complimentary hold put on a cabin (I think it is for three days) while a passenger decides. That takes those staterooms/suites out of the inventory. If they aren't deposited, they go back into the inventory and become available again. That is why it is always best to keep checking if you are interested in a stateroom that isn't available at the time.

I know after final payment date, there are usually many cancellations, we originally only had the 10 day Tahiti portion booked last time and every single stateroom/suite onboard was waitlisted only for the Hawaii to Tahiti portion. But I was checking a couple of months before that cruise and saw 6091 become available (probably a cancellation just at final payment time), so I grabbed it up ASAP. Since another CC member on our roll call had 6088 booked for that cruise, they emailed me and asked me if I wanted to have our TA's switch us for that first sailng so we would not have to move on turnaround day. It was a fantastic offer I just could not refuse, so that is exactly what we had our TA's do.

Toto

I know that somewhere--probably on this thread--I mentioned that I was a bit concerned about our early morning departure on disembarkation day--you said something about a couple that thought that there was to be a Princess transfer but since that wasn't going to happen how well Princess treated them and helped them make it off the ship and to the airport--as I remember there was someone to help with bags and also a cab called to take them to the airport--I kept this in mind when we were getting closer to departure time--Well--we worked for 3 days with the Purser (s) and anyone that would discuss this with us--we didn't ask for help with luggage--only would they please call a cab for us in the morning--they agreed at first and then called the room to say that they had a mini van/bus that was going to the airport at 5:30 am and that it would cost us less to take it than a cab--we had wanted a cab called for 5 am--not wanting to get in the long line of folks trying to leave--we had hoped to get ahead of them--in the past we had always left from the IC for the airport and had no problem being at the airport by 5am--anyway--Princess kept saying that couldn't guarantee a cab would be there and we sxhould take their van--soooooo--we said we would pay fo9rf the 5:30 van --1000 francs each--weather we took it or not--we still wanted to leave by 5 am--at that time they agreed to set up a cab rided for us for the morning--we said we were happy to pay the 2000 francs even if we left in a cab--this was the only way they would call a cab for us--long story short--new phone call from pursers desk--now it was a bus for us--ANYWAY a cab was not called we drug our bags down the stairs to the front and of course no cab--a lady showed up with a large van looking for riders to the airport--she would leave at 5:20--the lady frfom the taxi company came by and said that they had not received a call for a cab--she got us one within 10 minutes---she aso got a cab for another couple that needed to go to the airport--fortunately we arrived at the airport before the big crowd--Air France is usually flown by the French and some islanders that fly to LAX then on to Paris--for that reason very few Princess cruisers use the airline. This is the first time that we have run into a problem with Princess that wasn't easily resolved--Got that off my chest--Thanks for listening to me gripe !!!

Seal, That's a shame you ran into this problem. I didn't speak with anyone in your situation, only those leaving the night prior (within two hours of docking in Papeete) that Princess had a transfer for. All though heading back to France. One couple from Australia (a CC member) did have to leave at 3:00 AM for the airport, but I never did find out how they arranged their transfer (guess I should have asked).

I agree though, getting a taxi that early in the AM (or in the middle of the night) in Papeete can be a real pain in the behind.

Glad to hear you finally were able to get transportation. Princess didn't sound too helpful at all in their assistance to you.

Remember you were dealing with the same staff at the purser's desk (I am sure) that kept calling us at 7:00 AM on turnaround day to come down to rectify that $20 wine credit situation they forgot to credit our account. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Although they did take care of a few other problems for us (Princess created) throughout the voyage, they seemed to be a little less helpful then they could have been. ;)

Dear Toto,

Thanks for all your information, but I just discovered this site and, honestly, can't read all 413 posts! So, my question is a simple one-how extensive is the library? We're taking the 26 day cruise out of Tahiti next month, and I know I'll want to do a lot of reading (and I prefer not to have to invest in a Kindel). Thanks. Ken

Thank you, Caribill. I think DW and I will love this coming cruise. From the looks of your pix, the ship is outfitted much to our tastes. The QM2 has been our favorite, but we might have a new one soon. Sure hope so. And on a somewhat related note, I think Toto and others who stayed out of the dining room on formal nights because they didn't feel like dressing up are to be commended. No need to spoil others' enjoyment of a special night.

Archived