Comfortable shoes on formal night

JudithLynne

I have chronic pain. From the neck down with some Arthritis mixed in just for fun. With the exception of my perfect purple strappy shoes, all of my formal shoe heels are no higher than 2 inches.

Shoes can be an issue for men too. DH's feet hurt in tux shoes. So, last year he wore a great suit and his purple Converse Chuck All-Stars. They were a hit and no dirty looks.

The slippers are a good idea too.

Or, get a white pair of Converse Chuck All-Stars, the kind that are made with no laces and slip on. Then, spray paint those babies whatever color you want.

All in all, nobody but will notice your shoes. The only reason I notice at all is that I'm making mental notes for ideas on how I can make my own feet more comfortable.

I wear soft leather ballet-type flats. Very comfortable. They're Naturalizers, and those are available about anywhere. They come in widths, so it's easy to find a size that fits. But, having said that, I doubt if anybody every looks at shoes. You can probably wear whatever you want, at least up to neon orange Crocs. Those might be noticeable.

Comfortable shoes...is there such a thing:D I finally learned a 3.5" heel size 10 (my favorite) , is about looking good, NOT feeling good. Before the night is over or about the time I start to have fun/dance, I change to flats. All shoes at size 10 look like a boat. Here is a fun site with cheap shipping!

www.6pm.com

I am the absolute WORST!!!! I wear really pretty dresses and flip flops on my feet. I will wear a formal gown but again flip flops. I have sure footing, if I have swollen feet it's ok etc...Is it the prettiest? no but I have to think comfort for my vacation.

Perhaps tacky, but I am happy.............

Comfortable shoes...is there such a thing:D I finally learned a 3.5" heel size 10 (my favorite) , is about looking good, NOT feeling good. Before the night is over or about the time I start to have fun/dance, I change to flats. All shoes at size 10 look like a boat. Here is a fun site with cheap shipping!

www.6pm.com

Wow - thanks this looks like a great website:)

I wonder if anyone has my dilemma. We are about to embark on our 23rd cruise. I have always had a hard time finding comfortable shoes because of problem feet. I am retired, living in a rural area, and do not own fancy shoes. The dressy sandals that I wore for years on formal night have, unfortunately, met their demise. I have shopped everywhere and can’t find anything comfortable that would go all evening. I have just about decided to bring a pair of black canvas sandals (!) that are casual and hope that no one notices. My outfit is dressy black pants (not a dress) with a ruffled, lacy top. I also have glittery jackets that go with the pants and are very formal. I can’t believe that I am the only one with this problem. Any thoughts……..

Judith

I generally buy dressy shoes or shoes I use for travel a 1/2 bigger, that way they are very confortable to stand in for an hour or more. Works for me.

We've been taking some dancing classes and my wife just bought a fantastic, light pair of dancing shoes that will work well with all her formal outfits. It may seem an odd place to look, but some really nice, light, dressy shoes, including some that are light sandals, can be found.

http://www.godancestudio.com/200/costume_tips.htm shows the type of shoes I'm talking about - my wife got the style of the gold ones, but in black.

So check out your local dance studio!

www.6pm.com

Thanks for the great site. Just ordered some Rockport Miknes that retail for $130 for $19.95. They look very comfortable and dressy enough. :p

Hi everyone,

I am the original poster and I have to say that I am so surprised by the response to my posting. Above all else, I feel very supported by all of you which I greatly appreciate. There are some very good ideas here and I have followed up on the internet. I am meeting a friend for lunch today and we will go to our local (small) mall and look at the Isotoner slippers at Penney’s. They were not listed on the Macy’s website. The slippers sound like a great idea and how easy to pack!

Funny how you forget things. 35 years ago when my husband and I got married, we had a huge beautiful church wedding. I borrowed a dress from a generous friend as she had just what I was looking for. She was 3 inches shorter than me, so I wore white Isotoner slippers to bring the dress to the perfect length for my height.

Again, thank you all for the support and great suggestions. I am really enjoying this thread….

Judith

Archived