Anchorage to Seward

FLA Cruiser

We're planning on arriving in Anchorage at least 2-3 days before our land tour starts. I was thinking that I'd love to go down to Seward and Kenai for those few days.

I've seen a few threads on traveling between the 2 and there seem to be a few good options. The train sounds like fun, but so does the freedom of a car. What kind of price would I be looking at for a rental car? I know - I haven't done a lot of research yet - just wanting to get a feel of how others felt - or what you experienced on your trip.

I appreciate any info!

We're planning on arriving in Anchorage at least 2-3 days before our land tour starts. I was thinking that I'd love to go down to Seward and Kenai for those few days.

I've seen a few threads on traveling between the 2 and there seem to be a few good options. The train sounds like fun, but so does the freedom of a car. What kind of price would I be looking at for a rental car? I know - I haven't done a lot of research yet - just wanting to get a feel of how others felt - or what you experienced on your trip.

I appreciate any info!

Better to reserve a car as soon as possible, what are your dates? Some dates are already sold out.

Jimbo:)

Our cruise tour 'starts' on 6/1 - and we are actually taking the train out of Anchorage. My thought was if we came in 2-3 days early - rent a car (I'm thinking it would be cheaper in Anchorage as a R/T) and drive south toward Seward.

But - that train sounds wonderful - and I love train trips!

Thanks for the insight!

Our cruise tour 'starts' on 6/1 - and we are actually taking the train out of Anchorage. My thought was if we came in 2-3 days early - rent a car (I'm thinking it would be cheaper in Anchorage as a R/T) and drive south toward Seward.

But - that train sounds wonderful - and I love train trips!

Thanks for the insight!

What is your cruisetour??? Northbound, southbound, out of where??? It may make a difference on what you can do??

As for a car rental, Anchorage airport has plenty of companies, there also are some downtown offices that wouldn't have the airport tax. You need to compare companies, on what the costs are in your timeframe.

Seward has plenty to see and do, and certainly is a gem of an area. But with only 2 days-I"m assuming one of your "3" days is a travel day to Alaska?? I would just limit your drive and activities to Seward, you do not have time for Homer.

As only a suggestion, with you planning this independent touring option, you may want to consider, doing it for your entire trip? The train, Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks, is nothing special, compared to the far superior Anchorage/Seward segment. Going by train with a cruisetour, is very limiting as well. Only general information. Be certain, you understand everything, fully about what you have booked. The most important.

3 day car rental Pick-up at Anchorage airport will run you about $100.00 for 3 days, May 28th, return May 31st.

If you were to use one of the off site rental agency in Anchorage the 3 day rental would cost about $60.00

Enterprise looks to have the lowest rates.

I have a 5 day rental the week before you for $117.00 renting from downtown.

3 day car rental Pick-up at Anchorage airport will run you about $100.00 for 3 days, May 28th, return May 31st.

If you were to use one of the off site rental agency in Anchorage the 3 day rental would cost about $60.00

Enterprise looks to have the lowest rates.

I have a 5 day rental the week before you for $117.00 renting from downtown.

Thanks Jimbo! I appreciate the info!

I don't have the most up-to-date information, but the problem I've always had with renting a car to Seward is the lack of one-way rental options. So if you're landing in Anchorage and cruising out of Seward, what do you do?

There is only Hertz available. The Alaska RR works out extremely well and independent buses run between Seward and Anchorage. listings http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com

Archived