L.L. Bean carry-all luggage

MoneyGuy

The L.L. Bean catalogue describes it as providing lots of space and weighing eight pounds less that other luggage. It has soft sides and a rigid internal frame/base. Prices are $199 extra-large, $169 large and $129 medium. Does anyone have experience with this luggage to advise if it's what it's claimed to be? It looks good in the catalogue but I've tried luggage before that didn't meet expectations.

I have no first hand knowledge of their luggage, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them. They stand behind everything they sell and will replace any of their products without hesitation.

If the luggage doesn't hold up the way they say it will, they'll take it back in a heartbeat.

We were in Portland, Maine on our recent Maasdam cruise and shopped at their outlet store there. Some great merchandise. I've ordered from their catalog and wouldn't hesitate to order anything from them. Very reliable.

I am not sure how large the "extra large" is but I found this on the Carnival website in the FAQ section.

Do you have luggage restrictions?spacer.gifGuests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

How about calling their 800 number and asking your specific question from someone who will know the answer. :) They are reachable 24/7. :)

800-552-5437 for ordering (U.S. and Canada)

800-341-4341 for Customer Serivce (U.S.and Canada)

All good to know, thanks, but what about the weight. The flyer says these bags weight eight pounds less than comparable bags. Anyone know about lightness of these bags?

It all depends what you are comparing it with. There are a lot of brands of extra light luggage out there now, even more so with the airline weight restrictions firmly in place. I've compared quite a few 24" to 25" suitcases and seems like many are in the 10 lb to 12 lb range.

You may want to look at the weight given for the LL Bean luggage and compare with reliable lightweight brands by companies like Eagle Creek and Delsey (Helium line). Websites like ebags.com give the weights for all suitcases.

LL Bean lists the weight for each bag on their WEB site if you don't have a catalog. I suspect from your spelling that you might be in the UK or Canada.

The bags are excellent and will last a very long time. If that is what you want and need, they are a good value. If you travel once a year, you might want to spend less money.

I'm in Canada, but what spelling tipped you off? :D We travel once or twice a year but I can afford good luggage as I'm the MoneyGuy. :D

Most in the US spell it "catalog" instead of "catalogue". There are other words that can be a tip off as well (but not in your post), such as colours instead of what we use, colors. Each are correct within our own setting.

LL Bean makes quality items.

Weight does matter. My old and trustworthy Atlantic 26" suitcase weighs 18 pounds empty . . . I learned to weigh it before I left the house for a flight to make sure it was around 50 lbs max. It recently had a wheel issue though so I'm looking at a replacement in the 25" range and they are nice and light now so I don't have to worry about being over 50 lbs for flights.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in Canada, but what spelling tipped you off? We travel once or twice a year but I can afford good luggage as I'm the MoneyGuy.

Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

. :D

:rolleyes: :D

Your signature says:

"Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada"

That could be a clue. :D

Archived