Does anyone carry their own bags on board?

friday109

OP: I always carry my own bag, flying or cruising. I use a convertable back pack and a small day pack. Packing lite is the key. I have a self imposed weight limit of 18 pounds. It is amazing how little one actually needs in the way of clothes on a cruise ship. Of course to hear some people tell it they just have everything for every contengence, just in case. Pack for the best case not the worst. A major benifit of this is easy on, easy off and you will never have to worry about lost luggage.

I'm another carry-on only travelor. I've had luggage show up 3 and 5 days into a 2 week trip, and once, a week after I got home...I think I have a sign taped to my back - "Lose her luggage"

I find I need the same stuff for 4 days as for 4 weeks, as long as laundry or dry cleaning is available. My Rick Steves backpack will handle it all, and it makes it on Luftansa's size and weight limits. I do stuff coat or vest pockets full of ipod and in-flight gear, as well as cell phones, camera and chargers to lighten the load.

The only time I wish for checked luggage is when I visit a good winery and can't bring any home.

I have wondered however, since there is no need to wait for luggage, at disembarkation, can we just leave?

Depends on the length of the cruise. Weekend cruisers tend to bring carryon bags onboard. Sometimes we have been able to get to our cabin and leave our bags in the closet while they finish cleaning the cabin.

We do often carry our luggage off. Our last vacation was ten days. I was able to fit all my stuff into one carryon plus an over-the-shoulder bag for purse, toiletries, and pills. DH packed one large suitcase and a canvas shoulder bag. When he saw how many travelers at the airport had larger carryon bags than ours, he was convinced we should pick up new carryon luggage. I did pack a small bottle of laundry detergent to wash out under garments and hang them in the shower on the clothesline. I also packed some plastic hangers in case something needed to be handwashed.

No more overpacking for us. We've learned to live with less.

When I vacation and stay at either a hotel or a vacation condo - the first thing I do is unpack and get organized immediately. THEN I feel relaxed and in "vacation mode".

I have been on a few cruises, and find that I get impatient waiting for my bags to be delivered to my cabin, and usually by the time they are delivered I want to be doing something else - then end up unpacking just before bed time.

I am thinking about taking our own bag on this time - My husband and I would have one roller bag each. I love the service of having the bag "appear" at our door but get impatient waiting for it.

??? Do you carry your own bags on?? Has it ever been a problem?

let me know what you think?

Thankx

Bonnie

By the time you get on the ship and your bags arrive, it is usually no more then a couple of hours, on our last cruise they beat us to our room. If they are not there go and get something to eat and drink. It's also a good time to tour the ship. I would never carry my own bags onboard.

• 1 month later...

While I don't recommend this for everyone, the answer is yes. On my last cruise I carried my own bags on board.

Disney Cruise Lines out of Port Canaveral. I had everything for my cruise in two bags. All my clothes in a gym bag, and then everything else (my medicines, personal items, toiletries, any reading material I brought with me to read on the cruise in a small suitcase.)

When I got to the cruise terminal, ran both bags through the metal detector, then when it was time to board, carried them both on board.

The one disadvantage to this, was I could not got immediately up to the lunch buffet, as soon as I boarded. I had about a half hour wait till my cabin was ready, where I then dropped off both bags and went up to the buffet to have lunch.

On disembarkation, it was the same. Never did put neither bag outside my cabin, the night before, so when it was time to disembark, I was able to carry both bags off the ship and out of the terminal, without having to look for my bag in the luggage waiting area.

Whether I'll do this on my next cruise, I just don't know.

I also travel a lot and with just carryon - recently returned from a three-week trip to Germany with one 21" rolling duffle and a messenger bag. When my son and I took the ferry from Athens to Santorini - eight hours - we both had carryon and kept it with us. (Yes, I was able to pack clothes for two climates in my 21" bag). There are places to store your bag on the ferry, but we opted not to do that. It was really no problem for us. I like the idea of having all my stuff with me but am not strong enough anymore to do one of those huge backpacks so I just do the small rolling duffle -- it weighs 7 pounds empty and it never weighs more than 20 pounds when I am done packing. The secret? I don't bring irons, hair dryers, big mirror, 10 pairs of shoes, fan, etc etc. Everything I bring has to pass the 12 oz test. If it weighs more than 12 ounces, I leave it at home. Yes, my windbreaker weighs only 12 oz. No I never bring blue jeans. Yes, I dress in layers. You can spend some time on the internet looking for lightweight clothes - usually at outdoor websites - and you can also find more formal things also that are lightweight. And those pants that zip off into shorts are perfect for on board or shore excursions.

So it really depends on how much you are taking and when you plan to show up (will your cabin be ready) and whether you mind rolling it around with you if your cabin is not ready. Each to his own, I guess.

Great thread. Our flight has a full day layover in London and then we're flying to Venice for two days (one night) and after the cruise it's two nights in Barcelona. The thought of transporting all of my luggage around Europe has me seriously consider doing the carryon thing.

We haven't done it before because we've always had the kids with us on Caribbean cruises. But I am considering just bringing two large roller carryons and my wife and I can take decent sized backpacks. No laptop this time as we'll have a couple pound netbook. I can wear a jacket on the plane and even skip formal nights and hit the Princess specialty restaurants on those nights in any case. I also don't mind doing laundry once or twice either. I think it could work. I don't think it's for everyone and especially those who love formal evening (unless they don't mind renting formalware).

Not cooking, washing dishes, making a bed, getting up from the lounger to get a drink, and we sure aren't dragging check-size luggage around some cruise ship.

I like this...it's how I feel too!

We pack lighter than many, but not light enough to want to lug around suitcases on our own. The best part about self-disembarkation is the fact that there is no longer a sea of luggage to search for when you get off the ship, there's hardly anything there. On our last cruise, there were probably only 20 suitcases in our color area.

I'd love to be able to travel with carry on only, but it's just a bit too limiting and we'd probably check through our carry ons anyway. We prefer to be as unencumbered as possible while boarding a plane or a ship, so usually our carry ons we have with us contain only cosmetics, toiletries, meds, first aid kit and jewelry, a change of clothing if we've been on a flight.

For those on longer trips, pack for only one week, no matter the length. If you have a change in weather wear layers, not bulky pieces.

Not cooking, washing dishes, making a bed, getting up from the lounger to get a drink, and we sure aren't dragging check-size luggage around some cruise ship.

Depends what line you are on. Some make you wait to get to your room. Others don't. I remember we got to our ship at 12:30 and got right in the room on our last Princess cruise. We won't be dragging anyway. The way to go is carryons with nice rollerblade style rollers on the bottom. For me, the big question is whether we will be able to pack enough for 17 days in two large carryons and two backpacks. That depends on our appetite for laundry.

I travel a lot, I don't generally "dress up", and I don't have a lot of medical or personal grooming needs, but I still can't imagine a trip of longer than a week using only carry-on luggage (or at least airline "legal" carry on size).

I try to shoot for some mid-point between one family member, who isn't comfortable unless she has two outfits per day, with matching shoes, accessories, etc., and a guy who was on an eastern europe trip with us several years ago who did the carry on thing. After two weeks in July in Hungary, Austria, the Czech Republic and Germany, he looked and smelled like the guys doing lawns here at home.

That experience always reminds me of the David Sedaris quote: "Comfort has its place, but it seems rude to visit another country dressed as if you've come to mow its lawns." (Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris, 2000)

I don't have a need to unpack in order to feel comfortable, so I probably wouldn't consider carrying my luggage onto the ship. When they get it to me, they do. I'll probably be by the pool, on a deck, or at a bar when they do anyway.

I travel a lot, I don't generally "dress up", and I don't have a lot of medical or personal grooming needs, but I still can't imagine a trip of longer than a week using only carry-on luggage (or at least airline "legal" carry on size).

I try to shoot for some mid-point between one family member, who isn't comfortable unless she has two outfits per day, with matching shoes, accessories, etc., and a guy who was on an eastern europe trip with us several years ago who did the carry on thing. After two weeks in July in Hungary, Austria, the Czech Republic and Germany, he looked and smelled like the guys doing lawns here at home.

That experience always reminds me of the David Sedaris quote: "Comfort has its place, but it seems rude to visit another country dressed as if you've come to mow its lawns." (Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris, 2000)

I don't have a need to unpack in order to feel comfortable, so I probably wouldn't consider carrying my luggage onto the ship. When they get it to me, they do. I'll probably be by the pool, on a deck, or at a bar when they do anyway.

You don't have to dress up as if you're cutting lawns wearing what most can pack in carryons these days. We'll be in the Mediterranean in July and I am not expecting to wear anything very dressy during the days on my excursions. My big question is what we can fit in carryons and our appetite for laundry and dry cleaning on the ship.

You don't have to look like you're mowing lawns to be comfortable. I imagine David Sedaris was referring to tourists who wear sloppy, illfitting, old clothes we've all seen plenty of them. I laughed when I told my son that I did not see any sweat pants the whole time we were in Paris!

There are many creative ways to pack light and dress well. Ladies, that beautiful silk dress you have for evening wear? Very light. You can buy a lightweight linen jacket and put it over a red t shirt or red silk shirt and silk-like pants with a brooch or flower for dress up wear. Now don't get all huffy and say "I would NEVER wear anything like that ...." It's just an example!

I agree with wearing layers. And if you look for some high-tech, lightweight sweaters, etc, you get more warmth for the weight. In cold areas, I use a really lightweight thermal underwear, for instance, under my regular clothes.

As for the guy that smelled bad after a week - that doesn't have anything to do with the amount of stuff you bring. It has to do with being too darn lazy to clean up! You just have to do laundry more frequently, that's all, or have it done.

The decision to use a carryon size bag or pack something bigger is really a personal one. I don't like being dependent on someone else to schlep my bag around but other people don't mind this. And I say again, each to his own. Let's not criticize someone who has made a different decision - it's not right or wrong, just different. And I totally agree that if you have a large, heavy bag, you should not try to fool yourself or those around you into thinking it is carryon.

As for getting your bag(s) aboard ship, it is really an individual decision.

My big question is what we can fit in carryons and our appetite for laundry and dry cleaning on the ship.
That's it in a nutshell, isn't it. Being comfortable wearing the same things a few times, having the time and access to get things cleaned between wearings and the willingness to pay for it (the guy I was talking about suffered from lack of this last one).

I think it takes a certain level of organizational skills - planning ahead to get things done - to travel light. Even so, when I look at my carry-on sized luggage alongside my pile of "must haves", they often don't align.

For a port intensive trip, prying my fingers off the guide books I want to bring is an effort, but I've learned through hard experience that they usually aren't worth their weight and space in my bag.

Ahhh, Guide Books. This is where the Netbook comes in handy, Research and store all your port info and you have it at your fingertips without all the weight of guide books. Unfortunately, I have not been able to justify the expense ($300 or more) of buying one of these just for traveling. Sigh.

We don't carry our luggage onboard and always check it. Our bags are not huge and are designed to be wheeled but you know what. I just don't want to be dragging them around particularly if there is a wait for the cabins to become available.

If others want to carry their luggage then that is fine but it does start to become an issue when too many folks are doing this. They tend to move more slowly and block off walkways stopping others getting around when they camp out waiting for the cabins. Sometime soon this will reach a critical mass and cruiselines will have to become more strict about the size of carry on luggage for the health and safety of all.

[quote name='euro cruiser']That's it in a nutshell, isn't it. Being comfortable wearing the same things a few times, having the time and access to get things cleaned between wearings and the willingness to pay for it (the guy I was talking about suffered from lack of this last one).

I think it takes a certain level of organizational skills - planning ahead to get things done - to travel light. Even so, when I look at my carry-on sized luggage alongside my pile of "must haves", they often don't align.

[COLOR=red]For a port intensive trip, prying my fingers off the guide books I want to bring is an effort, but I've learned through hard experience that they usually aren't worth their weight and space in my bag.[/[/COLOR]quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]For guide books try cutting out just the sections that you actually need. The pages can either be stapled back together or spiral bound at your local office supply retailer. Most guide books are 70% fluff and 30% real useful information that you might like to have at the tip of your fingers.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Each person in our party gets 1 carry on size piece of luggage. It is so much faster getting off, and know that you have your luggage when you get on! With the roller luggage toting around it is no problem and seems like we never have to wait long for our cabin! It's amazing how little you actually need on the cruise.

[quote name='euro cruiser']That's it in a nutshell, isn't it. Being comfortable wearing the same things a few times, having the time and access to get things cleaned between wearings and the willingness to pay for it (the guy I was talking about suffered from lack of this last one).

For a port intensive trip, prying my fingers off the guide books I want to bring is an effort, but I've learned through hard experience that they usually aren't worth their weight and space in my bag.[/quote]

Yeah, in theory, I wish I could do the carryons. But it won't work in reality. My carryon gets me through 4-day business trips (wearing a suit on the plane). But 16-17 days is too much. I will try to do one larger checked bag, a carryon, and my backpack for netbook. I will still go as light as possible and I will make sure my larger checked bag has wheels and I will figure in one visit to the laundry (Princess has nice facilities).

• 2 months later...
[quote name='DonMar']Glad to hear there are other out there :)

We have always carried our luggage on. We travel carry on only no matter where or how we travel. Going an a 12 day cruise and will do it with carry on only.

As other posters have said, you need to bring you luggage with you through the ship until your cabin is ready. We have been very lucky and our cabin has either been ready or was being prepared when we boarded. If the cabin is being prepared, we ask if we could drop our luggage in the cabin. Never had a problem.[/quote]
DonMar,
I'm very curious how you pack for a cruise with only carry-ons? What are your carry-ons? Do you each bring a 22" luggage plus tote/backpack? What do you do about liquids?

I'm wanting to do this on our 7-day cruise coming up in April, and looking for any tips you can share. Thanks!

[quote name='pitbullgirl']DonMar,
I'm very curious how you pack for a cruise with only carry-ons? What are your carry-ons? Do you each bring a 22" luggage plus tote/backpack? What do you do about liquids?

I'm wanting to do this on our 7-day cruise coming up in April, and looking for any tips you can share. Thanks![/quote]

That's exactly what we bring. I bring a tote of some kind and DH brings the laptop. My lotions and potions are travel sized- either purchased in their own bottles/pots or transfered into empty ones.

minimus.biz is a good website to find travel size things.

When flying we will bring what we need and will make a stop at a drug store for other things.
Liquid meds have to be declared thru the TSA in the airports, but are not part of the 3-1-1 bag. DD buys a 4oz bottle of contact solution for her carry-on.

[quote name='iheartbda']DH doesn't......says I'm too heavy to carry.:p:D[/QUOTE]

Tell him to put some wheels on you and a handle & it won't be difficult to take you around. Either that or there is often a place to drop off bags until the cabin is ready

(before anyone gasps in terror-we're friends ;))

[quote name='mbisson']Tell him to put some wheels on you and a handle & it won't be difficult to take you around. Either that or there is often a place to drop off bags until the cabin is ready

(before anyone gasps in terror-we're friends ;))[/QUOTE]

Or carry you like a six pack!:)

[quote name='Traveler353'][quote name='euro cruiser']That's it in a nutshell, isn't it. Being comfortable wearing the same things a few times, having the time and access to get things cleaned between wearings and the willingness to pay for it (the guy I was talking about suffered from lack of this last one).

[COLOR=red]For a port intensive trip, prying my fingers off the guide books I want to bring is an effort, but I've learned through hard experience that they usually aren't worth their weight and space in my bag.[/[/COLOR]quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]For guide books try cutting out just the sections that you actually need. The pages can either be stapled back together or spiral bound at your local office supply retailer. Most guide books are 70% fluff and 30% real useful information that you might like to have at the tip of your fingers.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I took to printing the info I need off the internet and inserting them into a sheet protector. Works great a and weights practically nothing. The sheet protector keeps them from getting dirty or wet.:)

Archived