Catching the boat on a later day

cruiserintn

My husband and I are doing a cruise out of Barcelona with 1st day at sea and next day arriving in Rome, our son will be meeting us in Rome and boarding the ship later that day, we have received permission from NCL for this to work, but am very worried about this. Has anyone ever had to deal with this type of situation?

Because it's not a boat, it's a SHIP... The BOATS are the things hanging on the sides of a ship. ;)

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Everytime I see someone use the "boat" reference it irks me a bit. very amature.

It's sort of like calling someones Harley a "scooter"..

A few years ago a friend of mine could not leave with us the day of the cruise due to a previous commitment and ended up flying to Grand Cayman where she boarded the ship. It was not a problem except of course she missed part of the cruise and had to pay for the flight to GC.

Guest TropicOne

boat

–noun

1.a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion.

2.a small ship, generally for specialized use: a fishing boat.

3.a small vessel carried for use by a large one, as a lifeboat: They lowered the boats for evacuation.

4.a ship.

5.a vessel of any size built for navigation on a river or other inland body of water.

6.a serving dish resembling a boat: a gravy boat; a celery boat.

7.Ecclesiastical. a container for holding incense before it is placed in the censer.

ship

–noun

1.a vessel, esp. a large oceangoing one propelled by sails or engines.

2.Nautical.

a.a sailing vessel square-rigged on all of three or more masts, having jibs, staysails, and a spanker on the aftermost mast.

b.Now Rare. a bark having more than three masts. Compare shipentine.

3.the crew and, sometimes, the passengers of a vessel: The captain gave the ship shore leave.

4.an airship, airplane, or spacecraft.

from Dictionary.com

My husband and I are doing a cruise out of Barcelona with 1st day at sea and next day arriving in Rome, our son will be meeting us in Rome and boarding the ship later that day, we have received permission from NCL for this to work, but am very worried about this. Has anyone ever had to deal with this type of situation?

Like others say, it probably is OK, but,,,I'd make darn sure I've got something in writing on NCL Letterhead with emergency contact info just to make sure.

If you have written permission (and you should get it in writing by e-mail or snail mail/fax) to board late, you will be able to board. Please be certain to get it in writing.

In the end we didn't have to do it, but we had pre-arranged with HAL to board a day late on a Caribbean cruise because of cancelled flights because of Hurricane. Last minute we were able to get a flight and arrived at the terminal to board and we were not on the manifest because we had told them we would be boarding late. It worked out okay for us but could have been a problem.

Keep the cruise line advised of any changes in your plans and get it all in writing.

** A boat fits on a ship but a ship cannot fit on a boat. :D

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Everytime I see someone use the "boat" reference it irks me a bit. very amature.

well who cares what you call it...maybe it's because of the whole "LoveBoat" :rolleyes: ship/boat/ship/boat whatever!

Which has nothing to do with the OP's question.

I know, I'm doing it too! :(

What if you called it a "dingy?" :eek:

You are not fan of that show are you? hopefully your name is Joe and Karen-or something along those lines.

As far s the "boat" thing-

I sailed the original Pacific Princess AKA-the "Love Boat" in 2002. She was small-only held 600 PAX. In the "whatever happened" forum/ section I have seen pictures of her-with her new name, along side one of the big ships now (can't remember if it was RCI voyager class or Princess grand class- or another class, but one of the big ships)-she DID look like a dingy.

On our Southhampton to Barcelona cruise the ship left at 5pm and docked the next morning in LeHarve, France. Many people tske an excursions is to Paris with a 3 hour drive to Paris. One of the couples at our dinner table got on the second day. They did their precruise in Paris. What a great idea. They only missed one evening on the ship. This was on Royal Caribean.

I would still check with the cruise line and inform them of my plans, but it sounds like it can be done, especially in Europe.

OP, you will be fine. We missed the ship in Rome a couple of years ago and had to fly to Mykonos to catch the ship. Ship security had a list of people who missed the ship. Our name was on there, they took our bags and we got onboard. No problems.

How old is your son? As long as he's old enough to travel independently and as long as he's comfortable with the plans, then I'd say you have little to worry about. Sure, there could be a flight delay or the ship could be delayed for some reason, but those are small considerations. OTOH, you and your son both need to be sure that he (and you) will be able to handle any unexpected travel changes. If so, then no problem.

Completely OT, but I recently learned that every watercraft that cruises or sails on the great lakes is called a boat. No exceptions, not even cruise ships.

beachchick

Archived