Is There Really A Royal Princess?

bjkTX

Fewer reviews on Royal as she only joined Princess in 2007, before that she was Minerva II for Swan Helenic which, like Princess, was part of the P&O organisation before they merged with Carnival. But there are 17 on CC at present so you should be able to find enough information.

Since the age profile for Swan Hellenic probably starts at 70 it's unlikely there were ever any reviews on CC.

We have only sailed on the Tahitian, soon to be Ocean Princess, and for what it's worth we would be unlikely to sail on one of these old R class ships again, they are just too small and have limited public lounges compared with the Grand class ships.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great was to spend your remaining years. I look forward to meeting her and hopefully a time to visit with her on my Nov cruise. Hope that won't be her time off.

We sailed with Lorraine over Thanksgiving 2007. She had some of her family with her for the holiday.

Heres another reference to the R Ships.

Originally posted on the HAL board of Cruise Critic

and now moved to cruise discussion board.

It shows where they all are now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=844509&highlight=renaissance&page=39

scroll down to....

post no 780 and 781

posted by Copper10-8

We booked the Royal for a 14 day Alaska cruise next May - and I'm amazed at how little info there is on the ship here on CC. Is it because it's fairly new to Princess, it's small so not many people have sailed on her, or did my TA sell me a cruise on a ship that doesn't exist???

We were on her last July and loved our trip. You can check out some of the photos I took on our trip at:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/574157365wiHOpZ

2218111180096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

We were on her last July and loved our trip. You can check out some of the photos I took on our trip at:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/574157365wiHOpZ

2218111180096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the pictures - besides showing the Royal it took us back to our days when we lived in Naples and had the opportunity to tour some of the places in those pictures! :-)

My wife and I have spent 49 days in the past 14 months aboard the Royal Princess (Rome to Montreal, Aug-Sept, 2008 and Venice to Rome, July, 2009) and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

As has been mentioned in previous posts, it is one of the three 700 passenger ships in the Princess fleet and affords a wonderful alternative to the much larger vessels. As was noticed, there are some trade offs for the smaller size, but it is well worth it.

The smaller ships do tend to attract people who like the longer cruises. We have spent over 50 days on Pacific and Tahitian , and are looking at another 39 days next year.

For me ,they evoke the days of proper "voyage".

They attract those that like the longer cruises because that is what is mainly offered on them. We have taken two 14 day cruises on the Pacific and two 18 day cruises on the Tahitian this year. We have a 32 day cruise on the Tahitian this weekend and a 31 day on the Ocean in the spring.

Why doesn't the Royal have mini-suites? The Tahitian, IIRC, is the same type of ship and has minis on deck 8. Not sure about the Pacific, as I've never sailed on her.

Royal does not have mini suites because it was not designed with any when originally built. Although similar to Tahitian and Pacific Princess ships that were previously also Renaissance ships, the Royal is not identical to them. It's really too bad that they didn't retrofit some because it's a huge price jump from a balcony to a OS or PS. Happy Sailing!

Archived