Panama canal

jimpod

We did the full transit in January 2008 and the weather was great on the entire trip (Acapulco to San Juan) -- I don't remember any rain during the day and while it was warm (in the 80s) it wasn't oppressive and we were able to tour in relative comfort everywhere.

We did a full transit many years ago in March. It was a very hot day. We had departed out of LA and the weather got warmer and warmer the further south we proceeded. I remember well how many of the older folks got bad sunburns because the spent the entire day of the transit outside in the sun without the proper protection.

Only two seasons in Panama, wet and dry. The dry season starts in late December and runs through April. By November the weather will trend towards dry, but there could be some periods of rain, it usually will not be an all day rain event, just the possibility of some showers. The bulk of the cruises to and through the Canal occur in the fall and spring, starting from around October and through April. I would give a slight edge to the January time frame. The reason for this is the dry season is usually firmly estabished by then, it is one of the periods of lowest humidity (for Panama), the vegetation will be lush from the rainy season and there are usually pleasant breezes. Having said all that, those differences are only very slight, it probably be very warm and humid for anyone coming from a temperate climate:eek:, specially if you are leaving winter when you come to Panama!!

Just remember, dry season in Panama doesn't mean no rain, just less rain! This is particularly true on the Atlantic side of Panama. Also the difference in the January time period is only slight. I would only let this be a deciding factor if everything else were equal. As others have pointed out, the weather has been agreeable at other times.

Archived