Embarkation by barge?

biguntx

Just off the Liberty of the Seas, shuttle driver mentioned that the Oasis will have to ferry cruisers and luggage from the pier to the ship.

While dredging hit a reef and the result was too shallow for the Oasis to completly dock.

Is this really the case?

The Oasis is leaving out of Ft Lauderdale.

Well, yeah, I should know that since we're booked on her in Jan.:o

Anyway, the same holds true......they could not possibly provision her each week by barge.

This is my first time to hear that RCI had to dredge at Fort Lauderdale for Oasis. In fact, I haven't seen any dredging work going on. If a reef was "hit", it would have to have been way out in the ocean and not in the actual port area. I simply cannot believe Oasis would anchor out in that ocean area and receive luggage and provisions by barge out there.

Furthermore, RCI just built that vary large and modern Pier 18 especially for the ship. I can't believe they would have gone to the trouble and expense if Oasis will be sitting out in the Atlantic.

Where did that shuttle driver hear such imaginative tales?

This is my first time to hear that RCI had to dredge at Fort Lauderdale for Oasis. In fact, I haven't seen any dredging work going on. If a reef was "hit", it would have to have been way out in the ocean and not in the actual port area. I simply cannot believe Oasis would anchor out in that ocean area and receive luggage and provisions by barge out there.

Furthermore, RCI just built that vary large and modern Pier 18 especially for the ship. I can't believe they would have gone to the trouble and expense if Oasis will be sitting out in the Atlantic.

Where did that shuttle driver hear such imaginative tales?

Taxi drivers and their old wives tales, they're the same in Miami, New York or London...............it's complete rubbish, end of topic.

Taxi drivers and their old wives tales, they're the same in Miami, New York or London...............it's complete rubbish, end of topic.

So very true. Nothing like a far fetched tale from a random Miami taxi driver! It's the same when you hear these crazy stories from the crew onboard the ship. The fact is they are usually the last to know anything, along with the reservations staff at most cruise lines.

The draft of OASIS will be 30 feet. The draft of QM2, which docks in Port Everglades all the time is 33 feet. There is plenty of clearance in both the channel and turning basin. Port Everglades is a very deep port, which is one reason it's so popular.

Ernie

Glad I asked.

This shuttle driver/owner should know more about Port Everglades.

He had a van full of RCCL Diamond members concerned about Oasis.

And this is his business!

As is always the case thanks for the help!

Gary

Archived