Anyone here familiar with MSC cruises' new ship OPERA?

DFD1

I just ran into some information about an interesting new ship, the OPERA, coming to FLL for MSC Cruises?

I'm not about to abandon HAL, but I'm interested in getting any first hand information anyone here might have about either MSC Cruises or the OPERA?

Thanks so much.

I just ran into some information about an interesting new ship, the OPERA, coming to FLL for MSC Cruises?

I'm not about to abandon HAL, but I'm interested in getting any first hand information anyone here might have about either MSC Cruises or the OPERA?

Thanks so much.

Perhaps there might be more experience on the actual MSC board? :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

NEVER MIND !.....I withdraw the question.

I Just went over to the MSC message board and found a bunch of really unhappy people.

I like adventure, but I don't think I'm ready for MSC yet.

I saw a segement about MSC on Nightly Business News this week. Their CEO was Celebrity's CEO before they were purchased by Royal Caribbean. I believe his name is Richard Sasso.

He says they are in the process of building two new ships and will enter the US market next year. He plans on marketing the line as "ultra upscale" between the US premium and luxury lines. He is visiting travel agents throughout the US.

I looked at the MSC board earlier this week. The passengers don't seem happy at all. Unless many improvements are in store, I don't think they are ready to compete with existing US products.

I came across it after seeing a really impressive full color article about their new ship OPERA. I had never heard of the ship or the cruise line (sheltered life....), so I thought it might be interesting to learn more.

Then Shipcafe came on and made me feel like an idiot-and rightly so.

After reading a few threads on their message board, I think I'll stick to the enemy I know rather than take a chance on the one I don't.

I came across it after seeing a really impressive full color article about their new ship OPERA. I had never heard of the ship or the cruise line (sheltered life....), so I thought it might be interesting to learn more.

Then Shipcafe came on and made me feel like an idiot-and rightly so.

After reading a few threads on their message board, I think I'll stick to the enemy I know rather than take a chance on the one I don't.

Good Morning,

That was, by NO MEANS, my intention as I hope you do know. While some sporadically toss questions on "just any board" as bait to get answers, I do know that you were legitimately looking for feedback.

Just from the people whom I've spoken with, it sounds like many are not realizing that MSC caters to European clientele first and foremost in terms of food, language, etc. I personally would like to try it out as I love European culture and trying new things. MSC is, by no means, fitted to market to the masses.

Steve

Thanks, Steve; I'm a ship nut. Love anyting about passenger liners or cruise ships. Whenever I seen anything about a new ship coming on line, I try and learn whatever I can about it.

I've been fortunate enough to have been cruising off and on since about 1965, when I was a wee lad, on the old Bahama Star and Emerald Sea over to Nassau and back. In all these years, I have not lost my curiosity about passenger ships.

Even with all the negative feedback on the CC message board over on MSC, I'm still curious. At $50 or $60 per day, I might could stand a little abuse for a week or so.

Thanks again. No offense.

MSC = Work in progress!

Yes they did hire the old head of Celebrity to head up their operations and they are trying to enter the North American market. Historically MSC was primarily a shipping firm that aquired a number of older ships used on port intensive cruises around the Med and Baltics. They've had a presence in the North American market for years, operating one of the former Home Lines/Big Red Boat ships on 10/11 day caribbean cruises that were marketed to europeans and north americans. They've more recently aquired a small fleet of newbuilds that are more competive with the ships based out the USA. They are trying to make inroads into the market with two ships this year, the Lirica and the Opera.

The ships are very similar, in the 50-60 ton range but with more passengers than a comparible HAL ship. Decor is your "Marriott Hotel" casual look, and the ships have a large assortment lounges and decent outdoor areas (only one pool area.) Food and it's availablity has been an issue on MSC, something they are frantically adjusting. Having a European mindset is proving a challenge for them: the demands of US passengers are very different. Cabins are small, don't expect a seating area, bathtub or much floorspace. On the plus side they have not adopted aggressive onboard marketing like the north american lines, expect fewer annoucement (although those that do happen will be in 5 languages) Wellness is a big thing in Europe and the Spa's onboard their ships are extensive with only adequate workout areas

Overall the reviews are mixed, with some pretty angry reviews floating around from last year and early this year. The ships are nice, entertainment typical but food and service is an evolving process. The line recognizes this season as a time to learn and adjust. My understanding is that people sailing this year are being offered significant discounts on next year's cruises. Utlimately I doubt they'll be anywhere near the "ultra" category, their ships won't justify a rating that high. Utlimately I think they end up being a Celebrity Attitude with a european twist on a so-so ship at a good pricepoint. They're not for everyone, but I think they will eventually find a following.

Thanks, Robs...Very well put. I'll keep watching and see how it goes. I notice sky auction has lost of MSC cruises listed with bidding in the $200 to $300 range for minimum inside, but there is a significant add-on for port charges and taxes so it's no "give away"

Archived