Hotel In Harwich ?

Ashland

Any suggestions for a Hotel in Harwich ? Aug 10, 2010 just one night precruise but a nice one please.....and your experiences ! Thanks in advance ;)

I can heartily recommend The Pier Hotel in Harwich, it is very good and the food is excellent. I live not far away and eat there often. If you wish to be in a larger town The George in Colchester is good and traditionally English. Colchester is worth a visit as it is the oldest recorded town in Britain. Both Harwich and Colchester are full of historical interest.

We stayed at the quaint Pier Hotel. Was nice but no elevator or air conditioning, but then again we did not need it. Restaurant was very good, great fish and chips. Our room was on the front and watched the Jewel sail in early, early in the morning which was great and then back to sleep with plenty of time before boarding. We hired a car for the transfer from LGW to Harwich. We can't deal with trains or coaches with luggage, lol.

Last year we flew into Heathrow; & had Darren at Adelphi transfer us from the airport to Harwich pre-cruise. Here is their website:

http://www.adelphiexecutivehire.co.uk/p1.htm

We stayed one night at the Pier Hotel. A charming nautically themed hotel located right along the quayside in the small town area. The commercial port is right next to town; & only a short cab ride to the cruise passenger terminal. We had a wonderful al fresco lunch right on the sidewalk & a lovely dinner upstairs overlookiing the harbour. Quite a few of our fellow passengers were staying there prior to departure. Here is their website:

http://www.milsomhotels.com/thepier/default.aspx

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about both experiences. Good luck & enjoy your travels.

I remember seeing the Premier on our cab ride to the ship. I only made notice of it because I had stayed at a Premier in London. The one in London was quite nice & convenient to the airport. The Premier in Harwich is about halfway between "town" & the cruise ship terminal. It looked fine on the exterior; but IMO the Pier's location is much better for walking around & various dining choices (especially if you had as much as a half a day to kill).

The Premier Inn is a very nice and comfortable hotel I would stay there again. The hotel has a bar, coffee shop and restaurant. Close by is a Lidl supermarket and a retail park. As to how close to the train station or town I do not know. You can see the port from the hotel. It is not that far. About 5 minutes ride(if that) in a car.

The Premier Inn is basically oriented toward business travellers and the rooms are OK, I had a large modern double with excellent bathroom when I stayed there pre cruise a couple of years ago. The food is not very inspiring but OK I suppose and there is a bar. When I stayed there the final checkout time was 12 noon which matched the 12.30 ship boarding time niceley. I then took a taxi to the terminal which is about 1 mile away.

Thanks EJNutz!

Liv4cruisin- we would love to stay at the Pier but it is not in our budget! Premier Inn is about 1/3 of the price.

We are big walkers so don't mind a bit of a trek for dinner (especially since we can use the money we saved to pay for it:D).

Cheers,

We'll walk with you! Already have the night reserved. ;)

LKN-NC- do you know what their cancellation policy is? I would like to book now but I also want to be able to have an "out" if our plans change for this cruise.

Cheers,

You can book now with a hold on your credit card(no payment is taken). However if you cancel you must give them 24 hours notice otherwise they will take the cost from your card.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hotel&sll=51.941725,1.272912&sspn=0.021641,0.065875&ie=UTF8&hq=hotel&hnear=&ll=51.942043,1.272912&spn=0.020979,0.065875&z=15

is a map of the area with the hotels.

the cruise treminal is next to the ferrys and the international rail terminal.(top/right)

Premier inn is on the roundabout on the main road into the cruise terminal/town(A120)

Pier is right in town

the walking route from the premier inn looks like it would be on the street "main road" so about a 30mins under 2miles

there is a bus with a stop not far from the hotel that does a circular route to the town and cruise terminal

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/ROP/SEWEB15__00007fc7.pdf

time table

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_TTB_REQUEST?language=en&command=direct&net=set&line=0520A&sup=A&project=y08&contentFilter=TIMINGPOINTS&outputFormat=0&itdLPxx_displayHeader=true

InsideCabin- thanks for the info about the bus!

EJNutz- I think we will book this!

General comment- I am not familiar with Lidl, but I thought it was a Morison's grocery store out that way? I don't care what it is, as long as I can stock up on my British chocolate!:D

Cheers,

no probs, learnt something new, we normaly drive on the morning but this is another option we can use especialy as Premier inn sometimes have good rates.

I think(been a while) the Morisons is close to the hotel the Lidl is a bit further away closer to the port.

I am not familiar with Lidl ...
Lidl's position in the grocery market in the UK is right at the very bottom end. If you want to buy on a retail basis that's really cheap, this is one of the places to go (Aldi and Netto are the two similar chains). Much of this is because of Lidl's sourcing; it buys cheap to sell cheap and it stocks very few well-known brands, so it's not a place you go to get (say) Coca-Cola at a much lower price than at other supermarkets that stock it.

To put it neutrally, Lidl's customers reflect the chain's market position.

I think(been a while) the Morisons is close to the hotel the Lidl is a bit further away closer to the port.

Its the other way around Lidl is very close to the Premier Inn and Morrisons is just a little further towards the cruise port, less than 5 minutes walk from the Premier Inn on the other side of the by pass to the Premier Inn.

The Premier Inn is at the main junction when you come into Harwich where you turn left into the port, carry straight onto Harwich.

The Premier Inn is by Dovercourt, the beach resort next to Harwich

Archived