Is the food on the Pearl really that bad??

MizzouMary

We are considering giving NCL another try after a less than desirable experience on the POA.

After reading through the NCL Pearl reviews on CC, it sounds like the quality of food in the no-charge restaurants is really bad.

Has anyone recently cruised on the Pearl and only ate in these restaurants? If so, what was your experience like? I believe the first fall Caribbean cruise after repositioning left on the 10/10, so they are currently out to sea.

I read through all of the reviews, and it seems those writing the favorable reviews ate the majority of their meals in the surcharge restaurants.

We went on our first NCL cruise on the Pride of America Hawaii in May '08 and we were not impressed with the food at all. It was definitely sub-par. Everyone in our group agreed that Carnival and Princess is much better.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

We were on the Pearl a year ago and truthfully only ate in the MDR twice. I can tell you both times it was very good. We ate mostly in the specialty restaurants as we do on most cruises we go on. I do have to tell you (and believe me this shocks anyone who knows me that I say this) but the buffet on the Pearl was fantastic. Without a single doubt the best buffet we have had on any cruise ship. We like it so much that we actually choose to eat there several times as opposed to the MDR for lunch, etc. I think we even choose it one night for dinner over the MDR. Not that we felt the MDR was bad, we just felt the buffet was that good. If you ever read any of my other postings you will find that I hated every buffet on every ship..LOL. So for me to say I loved the buffet on the Pearl really is something.

I know you are asking about the MDR, but if you do treat yourself to any of the specialty restaurants and you try Lotus Garden, you have GOT to get the ribs appetizer. They are to die for. And I don't even care for ribs that much.

I recently disembarked the Pearl after a two week Panama canal cruise. We had the majority of our meals in the Summer Palace, with 3 dinners in the specialty restaurants.

Most of the dinners served in the Summer Palace were good. My friend was not pleased with one selection, so she was given a replacement. We can even say that the offerings in the Garden Cafe & Great outdoors were very good.

Needless to say Cagneys & LeBistro were "To die for."

Barb

We are considering giving NCL another try after a less than desirable experience on the POA.

After reading through the NCL Pearl reviews on CC, it sounds like the quality of food in the no-charge restaurants is really bad.

Has anyone recently cruised on the Pearl and only ate in these restaurants? If so, what was your experience like? I believe the first fall Caribbean cruise after repositioning left on the 10/10, so they are currently out to sea.

I read through all of the reviews, and it seems those writing the favorable reviews ate the majority of their meals in the surcharge restaurants.

We went on our first NCL cruise on the Pride of America Hawaii in May '08 and we were not impressed with the food at all. It was definitely sub-par. Everyone in our group agreed that Carnival and Princess is much better.

If you have it made up in your mind that the food is terrible then it's gonna be terrible so pick another cruise line.

Posters here are not going to make the food any better.

Has anyone recently cruised on the Pearl and only ate in these restaurants? If so, what was your experience like?

I was on the Pearl a couple of weeks ago and ate two dinners (and two breakfasts) in the MDR. As with all of my prior experiences on NCL, I thought the food was "good" - not great, but good. No complaints from me. :-)

I was on the Pearl in June. I found the food to be good and very good depending on what I ordered and where.

I have booked again on the Pearl. However, food is subjective and what I liked you might not and you might be used to better food at home than I am...

I was on one of the NCL-A Hawaiian cruises, and I've cruised the Pearl. The Pearl is a much better experience. The food on the buffet is very good. One of the best buffets I've had on a ship (I've been on 7 lines). The MDR is good to very good. I didn't have any complaints about the food, but nor do I rave about it. Most nights it was very good. The service isn't at the same caliber as say Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, but it is competent. I'm actually cruising on the Pearl again, so I don't have any concerns about the food.

I also just got off the 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Pearl (working on a review!) and ate in Summer Palace many times and Indigo twice (the two free MDRs). Had wonderful meals in both. The only category for me that lacked a little was the desserts. I like very plain desserts with not a lot of sauces, etc but was always happy with the ice cream selections. My friend had the banana cheesecake in Summer Palace and raved about it so I know they were good.

To me also, this was the best buffet of any cruise I've ever been on.

Specialty restaurants - ate at Mambo's, La Cucina (2 for 1 on Sea Days). They were good, but no better than the MDRs to me. I wouldn't have eaten there if not for the special. We also ate at Le Bistro one night to celebrate my friend getting the email saying her mortgage was approved. Very good food - tried escargot for the first time!

To sum up - I was very happy with the food.

On the Pearl in January....

The food was very good, in my opinion. The MDR problems were more in regards to food being not warm enough than the presentation and recipes. Our travelling companions thought that the food 2 years ago on HAL was much better, but I took the food for what it is....a very nice banquet meal.

We ate often in the Garden Cafe buffet because one of our group did not want to put on long pants at night....dumb reason, but we found the food there to be very good and often better (for the same item) than in the MDR. I miss the linen table cloths and served meals of the MDR, but I would not hesitate to go to the buffet based on the food quality. One problem with any buffet is the manners of some of your fellow passengers and you avoid much of that by going to the MDRs.

I think that those who knock the food in the MDRs are often those who have unrealistic expectations and access to better restuarants in their work / living areas. Those of us who live in small towns with not even any 3* restaurants are more likely to appreciate what and how NCL serves food in the MDRs.

I really don't buy the assumption that NCL purposely lowers the quality of food and food service in the MDRs to encourage people to the specialty restaurants. I do agree that the food and service in the MDS has declined in recent years, but think that has more to do with the overall cost cutting efforts vs a revenue increasing scheme.

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I really appreciate your input. It has helped me feel better about booking a cruise on this ship. I go on any cruise with a very open mind, and we are not hard to please. Since we are spending our hard-earned money and valuable time on one cruise this fall, we want to make sure we are making the best choice.

Thanks again!

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Pearl. We have been on the Dawn, Star and Majesty and the Pearl's buffet is the BEST. It is so good that we opted to eat there a couple of nights for dinner rather than the dining rooms. There is a section where you choose your pasta and sauce and the cook just makes your portion and then you hand him your plate and voila! I loved the meat ravioli. The dining rooms are ok food and service wise. I love salmon so had that a few nights. Loved the chicken wings at Blue Lagoon. Everyone's taste is different but I would say the Pearl's food is as good as any other cruise line and I love freestyle.

I recently did the pacific coastal part of the Pearl's repo cruise. We didn't eat in any specialty restaurants. We probably split our time equally between dining rooms (both) and the buffet. We only had 1 breakfast in the dining room and it was good but a little slow. The buffet was absolutely wonderful and since 2 in the party are picky it worked good for them. The dining room food was very good although I'd have to agree with an above poster about the desserts. Many are gelatin based and lacking in sugar so you have to be careful in selecting. The service in the main dining room, with the exception of the one breakfast, was outstanding.

I recently did the pacific coastal part of the Pearl's repo cruise. We didn't eat in any specialty restaurants. We probably split our time equally between dining rooms (both) and the buffet. We only had 1 breakfast in the dining room and it was good but a little slow. The buffet was absolutely wonderful and since 2 in the party are picky it worked good for them. The dining room food was very good although I'd have to agree with an above poster about the desserts. Many are gelatin based and lacking in sugar so you have to be careful in selecting. The service in the main dining room, with the exception of the one breakfast, was outstanding.

What night are the lobsters served ??

We had one "Dress Up Or Not" night (formal) and that is when the lobster was available but it wasn't just lobster, it was a seafood medley. This was the first sea day. I don't know what night it will be on a 7 night cruise. There was a small lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, mussels, and a piece of snapper. It wasn't mixed up but each their own small portion on a large plate with a side of some noodle dish. I had the risotto instead. Those who had the seafood said it was OK but no rave reviews. That one dish was the only type of lobster served in any main dining room for the 5 night cruise.

What nights was lobster available.

What night is the lobsters being served ??

What night are the lobsters served ??

What nights are the lobsters served on the Pearl ??

What night do they want to eat?

No matter how you want to word it...when I was aboard they would even serve crabs every evening. I know cause I was a bit grumpy ;)

did the pearl a year ago and ate in mdr all nights. food was very good and desserts were exceptional!

just completed a carnival cruise and food was very average and the desserts could not compare to ncl.

Out of nine cruises the buffet on the Pearl was head and shoulders above the others, including 2 other NCL cruises. We generally eat in the MDR, but on this cruise we ate 2 or 3 dinners in the buffet. We were very impressed with the freshness and quality of the food as well as the efficient design of the venue.

We just got back from a 19 day Panama Canal cruise. The food ran the range from pretty bad to exceptionally good, depending on where it came from. My wife and I both feel the MDR food is average at best, and tended to order from Cagney's and/or the Italian place...La Cucina? most of the time. I agree with whoever said that Cagney's is "to die for".

Only real complaint I would have is that what the ship calls Prosciutto - isn't. It's some sort of tough salty ham. So if you like Prosciutto.....stay away from the Pearl's version.

Monte !!!!! Please send this guy some lobster........

LOL-I'll have to think about it, but I might save it for me

Had I been thinking, I would've come up with multiple wordings of my answer ;). It's all good

• 3 weeks later...

Archived