Southwest $10 adder to early check-in

Joie

Has anyone done the $10 adder that Southwest has to be able to have them assign you a boarding number 36 hours in advance?

We always went down to the internet and 24 hours. before and logged in and got our passes, but it seemed like we were only 1-or 2 min. into the 24 hour period and ended up with "B" or "C" passes and couldn't figure out why......now we know that if you don't pay the extra $10 each way you never will get the best boardng pass.

Just curious if anyone has used it and does it mean we DO NOT have to print our own out, they assign it ahead of time.

I used it last month. They had just started offering it at that time. Previously, I always checked in at the 24 hour mark and have always gotten A group.

On the way to FLL we were A group....something like 25 & 26.

On the way home we were A group...around 17 & 18.

SWA checks in for you. You still have to print out your boarding pass, but the nice thing is you don't have to be at the 24 hour mark to get A group.

If you don't want to print out your boarding pass on the ship, I imagine you can still do it at the airport.

I'm curious how this will all shake out once everyone starts paying the extra $10. I mean....not everyone can get the A group.

And I wonder in what order they start the check in....is it alphabetically, in the order tickets were purchased, etc.

I used it for my last cruise (2 weeks ago) for both our outbound and inbound flights. There were 3 of us traveling together so 2 of us used it assuming no one would want the middle seat between us until the 3rd showed up.

Outbound we checked in the 3rd person online at the 24-hour mark (almost exactly) and he was A50-something as opposed to our A23 and 24, so it really wasn't worth it. Note that A1-15 is now just automatically held for any and all business select travelers, no matter how many there really are. On our Saturday flight there were only 3 people in that range so we really were much further up in line than it appeared.

On the way back we were on the ship so the 3rd person didn't check in until we were at the airport. While we were in the A-20's but our buddy was one of the last B's. By the time he boarded seats were getting scarce and people were starting to take the middle seats up front (the flight was full). Similar to the first flight there was hardly anyone in the A1-15 range.

I have mixed feelings on this: I like having the option and it leaves a far less bad taste in my mouth than paying to check bags (nothing really has been taken away from us per say) My understanding is they will limit the number of earler bird check-ins for a given flight to avoid people paying $10 and getting the "B" group.

Still, with 2 free checked bags Southwest is almost the only reasonable option for cruise travelers these days. I generally like to have my suit in a suit-bag and the rest of my clothes in another checked bag, and 2 checked bags is at least $100 more on other airlines!

On my last two SW flights, I used curbside check-in, and got either Group A or B each way. I just asked for it. Even at the end of the Group B line, there were plenty of seats and overhead bins for carry-ons. Have never paid a dime for checked bags on SW, and if I ask for a full can of Diet Coke (instead of the usual little cup with ice), I get it. Also extra peanuts and snacks....as dessert for my airport-purchased deli sandwich. Love Southwest!

On my last two SW flights, I used curbside check-in, and got either Group A or B each way. I just asked for it. Even at the end of the Group B line, there were plenty of seats and overhead bins for carry-ons. Have never paid a dime for checked bags on SW, and if I ask for a full can of Diet Coke (instead of the usual little cup with ice), I get it. Also extra peanuts and snacks....as dessert for my airport-purchased deli sandwich. Love Southwest!

I love Southwest too. They're the best, in my opinion. Remember when they used to sing?

I love Southwest too. They're the best, in my opinion. Remember when they used to sing?

They still do! Coming back from PDX - BHM this past May, one of the flight attendants sang the offerings on the beverage cart! Something like: Mini-Oreos, but no Cheerios. Loved it!

icon9.gif

You're kidding, right?

Time for a time zone lesson. Maybe this will help:

http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/time_zone.shtml

See, no... actually I wasn't kidding. Thanks for making me feel even more foolish for asking though :rolleyes: Hope I made your night entertaining.

Being a 1 hour difference, that would make it around 11 am EST. To see how it has varied recently, go here.

Thank you Parody, for answering the question.

A~

See, no... actually I wasn't kidding. Thanks for making me feel even more foolish for asking though :rolleyes: Hope I made your night entertaining.

Thank you Parody, for answering the question.

A~

I have no control over how you feel, and did not find your post entertaining. It is honestly surprising that an adult who travels does not know the difference between the Eastern and Central Time Zone.

A link to a picture of the US time zones was provided in my response.

I have no control over how you feel, and did not find your post entertaining. It is honestly surprising that an adult who travels does not know the difference between the Eastern and Central Time Zone.

I wasn't going to respond... but will anyway.

You asked if I was "kidding"... so you must have thought I was being "funny". I was not trying to be funny. I am so sorry that I "surprised" you with my apparant stupidity. Both "funny" and "surprising" could be construed as "entertaining".

We all have our weaknesses... I won't point out yours if you don't point out mine.

A~

Is there a shaking head emoticon? Really, if a question bothers you don't answer it - but to answer it as a teaching moment is just condescending.

Back to topic - Early Bird Check In is available for each segment of your flight. It's great if you won't be near a computer at the T-24 mark to check yourself in. Typically checking in at T-24 will get you a high A or early B (I have NEVER heard of a C boarding pass at T-24).

If you will be near a computer at T-24 then the Early Bird may not be for you. From what I have seen those purchasing the EBCI are getting A boarding passes between high teens and late 30's.

Anyone with an A or B boarding pass will still have a choice selection of seats on SWA.

It is honestly surprising that an adult who travels does not know the difference between the Eastern and Central Time Zone.

Im an adult and really had no care to know the difference between Eastern and Central time until I started to travel. It took me a few years to know there is a difference too. (only because I started to cruise during a time that the time zone affected me)

Is there a shaking head emoticon? Really, if a question bothers you don't answer it - but to answer it as a teaching moment is just condescending.

Sorry, we will have to disagree. It is not condescending to teach someone something.

Im an adult and really had no care to know the difference between Eastern and Central time until I started to travel. It took me a few years to know there is a difference too. (only because I started to cruise during a time that the time zone affected me)

Only a few years?

Good for you.

Never stop learning I always say.

Rich

My understanding is they will limit the number of earler bird check-ins for a given flight to avoid people paying $10 and getting the "B" group.

Not sure where that "understanding" came from (please post a source) but if you look at Southwest's website, they make it clear that they can and will sell an unlimited number of early bird check ins.

http://www.southwest.com/flight/early-bird-faq.html#ebQuestion8

Will the number of EarlyBird Check-in Passengers be limited on each flight?

No. All eligible Customers can purchase EarlyBird Check-in.

Archived