Didn't know to get insurance with 15 days, now what ???

Delta Dear

I have been looking at insurance for our upcoming trip in Feb. 2010 on the Carnival Legend. I didn't know that coverage often depends on you having your insurance within 15 days of the initial deposit. Now what ? It is essential that we have insurance because of some of my husband's health issues.

Since we are not coming home directly after the cruise, I'm not sure yet of our returne date. I suppose we need to tie that down, too , before looking at insurance plans.

What is my best course of action now that it has been over a month since our initial deposit with our travel agent? I am going on a group trip arranged by a travel agent.

What is my best course of action now that it has been over a month since our initial deposit with our travel agent? I am going on a group trip arranged by a travel agent.

I would recommend that you talk to the travel agent. It was their job to inform you when you had to purchase the insurance. They fell down on the job.

It is now their job to get you the coverage you need. It is their job to in affect say yes, we dropped the ball, let us use our relationship with our providers to get you the coverage you need.

Not for free mind you and it may cost a little bit extra now, but let the TA try to pull some strings for you.

I've purchased insurance as close as 3 weeks before my departure date. On my last cruise, my TA quoted the same price as Insure My Trip. I received the insurance docs in plenty of time before we left.

Your insurance will not cover pre existing conditions..the OP needs insurance that does and that usually needs to be purchased within 15 days.

To the OP...as another poster mentioned, check insure my trip. I believe there are a couple companies where you can still purchase .

I would recommend that you talk to the travel agent. It was their job to inform you when you had to purchase the insurance. They fell down on the job.

It is now their job to get you the coverage you need. It is their job to in affect say yes, we dropped the ball, let us use our relationship with our providers to get you the coverage you need.

Not for free mind you and it may cost a little bit extra now, but let the TA try to pull some strings for you.

No one said they didn't. even the cruise companies policies are state approved(TA's can't sell anyone else's insurance in most states unless they are licensed as brokers). Getting an exception is not an easy thing and the cruise lines disclaim any liability for the TA's so it doesn't really matter. there are still policies out there that will meet the posters needs. Fighting with the TA and cruise line won't help(In my experience -yours may differ). The only thing that might help if the TA allows them to cancel and rebook but they may cause other problems(like a fare increase) but you will need to actually get your deposit back and put up another one to create a clean trail.

If you are not able to find insurance that pleases you, especially considering the pre-existing conditions, you could ask about cancelling this reservation before final payment. Perhaps then you could make a new reservation, promptly getting insurance. Of course, the price may have gone up and you might end up in a different cabin.

I think it's pretty unlikely a TA is going to be able to alter an insurance policy by pulling strings. I too think that if insure my trip doesn't have a carrier to provide the coverage for preexisting conditions the best bet may be to cancel and rebook.

Look at CSA Luxe Policy and HTH. You may be able to purchase one of those at time of final payment and still have pre-existing condition covered. You need to inquire carefully as to terms and what is and is not covered.

If you used a TA, shame on them. It is an important part of their job to advise you about travel insurance. They did not serve you well IMO

I think it's pretty unlikely a TA is going to be able to alter an insurance policy by pulling strings. I too think that if insure my trip doesn't have a carrier to provide the coverage for preexisting conditions the best bet may be to cancel and rebook.

You cannot cancel and rebook the same cruise and expect to have coverage.

If you put a claim, you can be sure they will discover exactly what you did and refuse to pay.

You must buy the insurance (if that is their terms) at the time of your first payment (deposit) for THAT trip.

If someone cancels cruise "A" and then books a totally different cruise, then fine. No problem doing that.

"My Travel Guard" is available through Travel Guard and allows you to purchase the waiver of pre-existing conditions exclusion until final payment date. Optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage is also available until final payment date

Two things:

1) I can almost 100% guarantee that somewhere in the client's invoice/confirmation there's something saying that the TA recommends the purchase of travel insurance. No agency that I can think of, large or small, leaves that off. In fact, almost all agencies, on the advice of every travel agency attorney known to man, requires that the client acknowledge that he/she has been informed that the insurance is available and that it's recommended by the agency recommended by signing a waiver or by other means.

2) many, if not most clients never read those things.

Also there is ZERO chance of the client or the agency talking the insurer into bending the rules regarding the requirements to be eligible for the pre-existing condition waiver. That would open a can of worms that they would never be able to close.

You cannot cancel and rebook the same cruise and expect to have coverage.

If you put a claim, you can be sure they will discover exactly what you did and refuse to pay.

You must buy the insurance (if that is their terms) at the time of your first payment (deposit) for THAT trip.

If someone cancels cruise "A" and then books a totally different cruise, then fine. No problem doing that.

I just called Travel Guard and was advised that prexisting conditions would be covered if the cruise was cancelled and then rebooked and insurance was purchased timely based on the second booking.

More importantly, people shouldn't take information on these boards to seriously without doing other research to confirm what is being posted.

Same cruise, same ship, same date?

That is the first that has been reported here.

Happy for you.

Have a great cruise.

( I hope it works out perfectly for you. Get Everything in writing. I definitely hope you have no unpleasant surprise.)

Same cruise, same ship, same date?

That is the first that has been reported here.

Happy for you.

Have a great cruise.

( I hope it works out perfectly for you. Get Everything in writing. I definitely hope you have no unpleasant surprise.)

When I called I explained it was the same cruise and actually the reason for rebooking and she said it would work. I agree, and should have mentioned it in my previous post, that this is an instance where getting this in writing would be prudent.

When I called I explained it was the same cruise and actually the reason for rebooking and she said it would work. I agree, and should have mentioned it in my previous post, that this is an instance where getting this in writing would be prudent.

I just called them and asked the same question. The guy I talked to said that would probably be OK as long as there are no air tickets involvrd. Even if you can cancel/rebook the cruise portion if you're still using air tickets you've already purchased they would consider the date of purchase of the air tickets the "initial deposit date" and start the clock running from that date. So you would have to also throw away those air tickets and start fresh with them also.

Archived