A few newbie questions

SheriAZ

Finally! We are ready to book our cruise. My SIL lives in CA, we are in AZ. She wants to use a TA. I would be ok with a TA if the savings were significant, otherwise would rather book through the cruise line. If we use a TA, she will take care of the booking.

Do we need to book at the same time? How do we make sure we are in rooms next to each other, and seated together at dinner if we don't?

Is there any way to make sure we aren't in rooms next to smokers? Yeah I know, but thought I should throw it out there.

I've heard of military discounts. DH was in the military during the Vietnam war, for 2 years, does that count?

I'm so excited!

Thanks in advance.

If it's your first cruise you'd be wise to have a TA to assist with all of your questions & to be sure that you have staterooms that are side-by-side and your 2 reservations are linked for dining purposes to seat you at the same table. Otherwise, if she makes her reservation & then you call the cruiseline to make your own - perhaps the cabin next to hers is now taken? You'd have to give the cruiseline res agent HER booking number in order to link your reservation to hers for dining - but then SHE would have to have her TA call the cruiseline to give your "permission" to seat you with them. I've seen more mistakes made this way. Let her TA handle it - who knows, there may be some SBC or other bennies for you, too.

No way to avoid smokers unless you're cruising on lines that prohibit smoking in staterooms & on balconies. You did not mention the cruiseline you've chosen.

Military discounts are for active duty and retired military only (with DD214 cards). Doesn't sound like you're eligible based on the info you've given.

And if your SIL has a good TA - he/she should periodically review your reservation for any new promos/reduced pricing that might apply to existing bookings.

And don't forget to ask about trip insurance...something you definitely want to get and hopefully will never have to use.

Most (not all) cruiselines prohibit smoking in the cabins...but some allow it on the balconies. Not usually a big deal...the wind out there will quickly blow the smoke away.

You don't have to book at the same time, or through the same means...she can use her TA, you can call the cruiseline (assuming you're paying for your own trip!)

You don't have to be right next door...a few doors away wouldn't be that bad, would it?

Whatever means you book with, just "link" the reservation (booking) numbers, so they'll know you're together!

Celebrity doesn't allow smoking in cabins or on balconies, so you may want to look at them. Royal Caribbean doesn't allow smoking in cabins, but you can smoke on balconies. There are a few smoking areas within the ship - but not in the eating areas.

Unless you're really internet and travel savvy, I agree that you should use a TA for your first cruise. They'll be able to walk you through everything, and their prices normally are not higher. They may charge a cancellation fee, or fees if you change your booking, so that's something to consider.

You don't need to get insurance through the cruiseline. You can get quotes through www dot insuremytrip dot com. They offer many, many alternatives. Don't know if you were planning to get insurance, but thought it was worth throwing out there. If you have pre-existing medical conditions or would want "cancel for any reason" insurance, get it when you initially book --- like within a day or two. Otherwise you won't be able to cover those reasons for cancelation.

Have fun planning your first cruise!!

Myself, I prefer booking direct, unless you are getting a discount or perks thru the TA. Many TAs now charge if you have a price drop, mine started $25 per person, wiping out a small price drop.

I book direct. You can also call direct more hours than if you use a TA and have more control. If you book thru a TA the cruiseline wouldnt talk to you later if you encounter a problem.

thank you all

You are right, a few doors away won't matter. SIL has cruised before and wants to take care of the bookings. I've learned so much here, I sometimes forget that I've never cruised before.

We will probably go on Carnival Splendor, to the Mexican Riviera/Sea of Cortez. SIL is about 1 1/2 hour from San Diego, we are about 5. We wanted a cruise we could drive to.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

thank you all

You are right, a few doors away won't matter. SIL has cruised before and wants to take care of the bookings. I've learned so much here, I sometimes forget that I've never cruised before.

We will probably go on Carnival Splendor, to the Mexican Riviera/Sea of Cortez. SIL is about 1 1/2 hour from San Diego, we are about 5. We wanted a cruise we could drive to.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I don't think there are any real advantages or disadvantages to booking through the TA, particularly where you've not done this sort of thing before, and where you want to be connected -- at least on paper -- with your relatives. Some travel agents charge a small fee...but frankly, while everyone else talks about all the "advantages" of booking direct vs. through a TA, I've not ever gotten any particular benefits either way!

Have a great cruise!

NCL allows the Military discount as long as someone in the cabin has an honorable discharge and you present your DD214. The other lines require you to be active or retired .

Celebrity is the only line that does not allow any smoking in any cabin OR Balcony.

I would book together to secure rooms close to each other. depending on the line and what you have for dining option, if it is something other than freestyle dining where you can sit with whomever you want, then your agent should connect the reservations and the dining.

Archived