Statendam mistake??

hulamoon

FYI bud................Statendam and Ryndam are both "S" class ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam & Veendam);)

"R" class: (Rotterdam, Zaandam, Volendam & Amsterdam)

Um, can we have a 'DUHHHH' here? My bad.... sorry.

We have been on 4 of the 8 though. Hope we can the other 4 before they start retiring them!

Just got off the Statendam for a Panama Canal transit. Loved the smaller size and the crew, but I would not set foot on this ship until it goes through a dry dock! It was awful! We had an engine go out, were late to almost every port, had no AC in the cabin, lost electrical power shipwide, some cabins had no water and there was a hot water flood that required the evacuation of 28 cabins in the middle of the night (people had to sleep in the library for the rest of the night and many chose to leave the ship in the next port).

Just got off the Statendam for a Panama Canal transit. Loved the smaller size and the crew, but I would not set foot on this ship until it goes through a dry dock! It was awful! We had an engine go out, were late to almost every port, had no AC in the cabin, lost electrical power shipwide, some cabins had no water and there was a hot water flood that required the evacuation of 28 cabins in the middle of the night (people had to sleep in the library for the rest of the night and many chose to leave the ship in the next port).

Oh goodness!:(...So sorry you had such problems on your cruise..Do you know which cabins were affected?

Hope that most of those problems are corrected by the time we board her on Nov. 13..We'll be on the ship for 28 days..

Lately my DH isn't able to cope with major problems as well as I can..If we have those problems, he may not want to book the BOS to BOS on the Maasdam next year...

I'll just have to hope & say a prayer, that he enjoys this cruise..

Thanks for the info...

Betty

Oh geez, juliecat -- lorekauf boarded Statendam yesterday, and is already a little less than thrilled with HAL. :( I can't imagine how unimpressed she may be! Sorry you had such a terrible experience. When IS the Statendam scheduled for drydock?

Serendipity1499, where's your e-mail link? I can see "Please put CC in the subject line" but can't see an addy.

A good experience is to get out on the promenade deck when the ship is low in the canal. It is amazing to see how close the ship is to the sides of the lock (keep those hands in) and how huge the canals really are. It is an amazing experience.

The flooded cabins were on 4 deck portside, midship.

She's going into drydock in March after spending 2 months as a hotel for the Olympics.

They could have made up for a lot of the problems with a quick customer service response. My affected tablemates were told they would receive the same compensation whether they stayed or left. The people who were flooded out but chose to stay (in cabins that were quickly recarpeted and dried but still were damp and smelly) just got a ~$200 OBC, laundry service and a bottle of wine. The people who left were put up in a hotel in Columbia and then flown home at HALs expense. My tablemates said if they'd known how little they'd get and that they'd have to deal with their soaked, ruined shoes, the smell and the attitude of the ship they would have gone home too.

J

Ohh Juliecat,

I am so sorry that happened to you. I like a little adventure on a vacation but that sounds like torture. I don't know what is usual in these circumstances but that kind of trip disruption is awful. Getting flown home is good, but then insurance covers that. Worse, how does a two week vacation get replaced? Many of us have only that time period to get it right. That's why I turn to Cruise Critic.

I didn't know the ship was going to be used in the Olympics, good grief I didn't know they had Olympics in March.

During scheduled dry dock, will they do the full maintenance of air conditioning, plumbing, etc? I just knew they were replacing the vanities and the stage room.

We only have a few weeks a year to vacation, I feel such pressure to get it right. :o

I am so sorry.:(

good grief I didn't know they had Olympics in March

Vancouver February 2010 :) The RCMP and (maybe???) other groups of official workers will be using docked cruise ships for accommodation.

We only have a few weeks a year to vacation, I feel such pressure to get it right.

I feel the same pressure because DH works so hard I want HIS vacation to be as good as it gets, y'know? Life happens, sometimes things don't work out as planned, and I've come to realize that I can't control everything (even though I should be able to, because I'm so good at it :) )

Exactly Cow Princess! I guess to be completely prepared i should check out the hotels in each port in case I need to abandon ship!!:rolleyes: Then I can finish out my vacation, or fly home and check into a Hawaiian hotel. Oh wait, I could do that anyway without so many concerns, but then I wouldn't be moving on the water, but I could be beside the ocean.

Everyone's time is precious. DH flows with things pretty well, but I do want to get this right for him.

I read on a Veedam post someone could hear the TV blasting from the Statendam. Does the Statendam have a MUTS Tv now? I thought that wasn't happening until 2012. I took a few months of cruise critic to try to get a life and I am not caught up yet.

Oh geez, juliecat -- lorekauf boarded Statendam yesterday, and is already a little less than thrilled with HAL. :( I can't imagine how unimpressed she may be! Sorry you had such a terrible experience. When IS the Statendam scheduled for drydock?

Serendipity1499, where's your e-mail link? I can see "Please put CC in the subject line" but can't see an addy.

Sorry it's: serendipity1499@yahoo.com

Can you give me the URL for Lorekauf's post re the Statendam.. I'm really getting worried now..

Thanks..Betty

Exactly Cow Princess! I guess to be completely prepared i should check out the hotels in each port in case I need to abandon ship!!

Now there's a good thought :D

As for what you read on some of the reviews, one review (of a cruise we were on) said something about the Captain never being on the bridge, spending all his time strutting around and waving at pax at the pool. Food sucked, stewards sucked, everything SUCKED. The writer rated the whole cruise a "1" (I think I know who wrote it 'cuz there was a guy with a PO'd expression on his face for the entire cruise, constantly haranguing the crew and crabbing at anyone who would listen.) Ya just can't believe everything you read on the reviews, y'know? I know that some people find NOTHING good about their cruise, and IMHO that's hard to believe, generally. As hard to believe as the cruise being PERFECT.

I don't think the Statendam has a MUTS type set-up.... I'll have to go look for that review :)

Can you give me the URL for Lorekauf's post re the Statendam.. I'm really getting worried now..

lorekauf isn't doing a "live from" thread. I meant that overall, in general, she isn't thrilled with HAL -- not because of anything that has happened on the Statendam. Her preference is Princess, and she's had several issues on previous HAL cruises. Sorry -- didn't mean to cause you any undue alarm!

edited to add: My comment really was mostly about how UNTHRILLED she'd be if her cabin flooded, she had no AC, and the lights went out!

She's going into drydock in March after spending 2 months as a hotel for the Olympics.

They could have made up for a lot of the problems with a quick customer service response. My affected tablemates were told they would receive the same compensation whether they stayed or left. The people who were flooded out but chose to stay (in cabins that were quickly recarpeted and dried but still were damp and smelly) just got a ~$200 OBC, laundry service and a bottle of wine. The people who left were put up in a hotel in Columbia and then flown home at HALs expense. My tablemates said if they'd known how little they'd get and that they'd have to deal with their soaked, ruined shoes, the smell and the attitude of the ship they would have gone home too.

J

Oh dear, Thanks Juliecat for the Info..I'm really becoming concerned now..Our cabins are Starboard on deck 4 mid ship...Hope our cabin & that of our Friends will be OK..We'll be on the ship for 28 days..

My DH will be quite annoyed if our cabin was flooded & there are bad odor on that deck.:(:(.Both my Friend & myself hope to convince our DH's to do the Maasdam BOS TO BOS next year..

Ohh Juliecat,

I am so sorry that happened to you. I like a little adventure on a vacation but that sounds like torture. I don't know what is usual in these circumstances but that kind of trip disruption is awful. Getting flown home is good, but then insurance covers that. Worse, how does a two week vacation get replaced? Many of us have only that time period to get it right. That's why I turn to Cruise Critic.

Don't believe Insurance will cover that at all..And you are so right it's a shame for those who work as they can't replace Vacation time..

I didn't know the ship was going to be used in the Olympics, good grief I didn't know they had Olympics in March.

Winter Olympics are being held in Vancouver Feb 12 -28

During scheduled dry dock, will they do the full maintenance of air conditioning, plumbing, etc? I just knew they were replacing the vanities and the stage room...

Would think they would do a complete overhaul, if they continue to have major problems like this..

We only have a few weeks a year to vacation, I feel such pressure to get it right. :o

I am so sorry.:(

Even though we are retired I also feel the pressure to get it right..

Betty

I didn't realize insurance would not cover if your cabin was flooded, but I guess that is true unless the ship is kicking you off. I would not have any tolerance for sleeping in a room with smelly moldy carpet, that is gross. In my younger days I could excuse it as part of the third and second world experience but not so much anymore, and not on a cruise ship.

Juliecat ... Would you really get back on after dry dock? Or would you get on another ship?

Cow Princess, I misread the quote about the Statendam TV. She said she heard the Princess TV while on the Statendam.

Part of the pressure to get it right is to trust the line we are on to take care of the unexpected with professionalism. So I will be curious as to how it all turns out. Another aspect of trust is to take care of maintenance of the possible issues to avoid loss of water, electicity and engine power floods and mold. No one mentioned mold, but I imagine it because of the climate and water and smell.

It will be interesting to find out how the next few cruises go for passengers/guests. Maybe Lorekauf can clue us in. Betty I hope all is handled with professionalism and your cruise is without these issues by then.

Thanks for the Olympic update. It all makes sense now.

Where is BOS?

I sure hope Statandam's drydock will correct the "problems" we board on April 25th. From what I understand she leaves drydock, then does a two week caribbean cruise, and then we board her in Ft Lauderdale. Good grief I hope we don't encounter any of these problems. We are travelling with my two sisters. They were on the first cruise after Veendam's drydock this past spring and had numerous problems. We all booked this cruise because she is doing a two week cruise before ours to "get the kinks out."

Well we will just hope for the best. Good luck to the people about to board before the drydock.

I didn't realize insurance would not cover if your cabin was flooded, but I guess that is true unless the ship is kicking you off. I would not have any tolerance for sleeping in a room with smelly moldy carpet, that is gross. In my younger days I could excuse it as part of the third and second world experience but not so much anymore, and not on a cruise ship.

Juliecat ... Would you really get back on after dry dock? Or would you get on another ship?

Cow Princess, I misread the quote about the Statendam TV. She said she heard the Princess TV while on the Statendam.

Part of the pressure to get it right is to trust the line we are on to take care of the unexpected with professionalism. So I will be curious as to how it all turns out. Another aspect of trust is to take care of maintenance of the possible issues to avoid loss of water, electicity and engine power floods and mold. No one mentioned mold, but I imagine it because of the climate and water and smell.

It will be interesting to find out how the next few cruises go for passengers/guests. Maybe Lorekauf can clue us in. Betty I hope all is handled with professionalism and your cruise is without these issues by then.

Thanks Hulamoon...I'll try to post about it when we get back..

Where is BOS?

I'm sorry..Keep forgetting that many do not know airport & city codes which are common in the travel industry..BOS is Boston..Every year in mid July, the "Maasdam" has a Boston to Boston Cruise for approx 35 days.. Some take 1/2 the cruise, but we're hoping to take the entire cruise, as it makes various ports in Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Ireland & England as well as Bar Harbor...We haven't been to Europe in quite a while & never have been to Greenland or Iceland..We originally planned to do it in 2007, but could not get on as made up our minds too late..So we're hoping to do it next year..

cheers..:)Betty

..... I've come to realize that I can't control everything (even though I should be able to, because I'm so good at it :) )

^^ So very much describes myself:o

My first post over here on the HAL boards + our first upcoming cruise on HAL (Statendam) in early April. Our previous cruises have been with Oceania.

Thank you to all the wonderful contributors here, I have been reading through everyones comments for the past week and have gained considerable knowledge from you all.

Hoping all the abovementioned problems with the ship are sorted soon.

J

Please do not take this as if I am doubting your word. But I am very surprised at how Hal handled this. Both my sisters were on the first cruise of Veendam last year when she came out of drydock. I am sure you know what troubles that cruise incountered, very similar to what your friend had. They were given very nice obc, reduction in cruise fare and future cruise credits for the problems they encountered. Both felt like they had been on a funny adventure and are now the sisters that we are to cruise with this coming April on the Statendam. I am going to keep my fingers that all will be good when we board next April!

Please do not take this as if I am doubting your word. But I am very surprised at how Hal handled this. Both my sisters were on the first cruise of Veendam last year when she came out of drydock. I am sure you know what troubles that cruise incountered, very similar to what your friend had. They were given very nice obc, reduction in cruise fare and future cruise credits for the problems they encountered. Both felt like they had been on a funny adventure and are now the sisters that we are to cruise with this coming April on the Statendam. I am going to keep my fingers that all will be good when we board next April!

Sisters Mary Catherine, Maria Theresa, Katherine Marie, Rose Frances, & Mary Kathleen left the Convent on a trip to St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City and were sight-seeing on a Tuesday in July. It was hot and humid in town and their traditional garb was making them uncomfortable so they decided to stop in at Patty McGuire's Pub for a cold soft drink.

Patty had recently added special legs to his barstools, which were the talk of the fashionable eastside neighborhood. All five sisters sat up at the bar and were enjoying their Cokes when Monsignor Riley and Father McGinty entered the bar through the front door

They also came for a cold drink but when they looked up they were shocked and almost fainted at what they saw.

download?mid=1%5f24359%5fAFfHjkQAAEzaSW30hwP8zjXGafA&pid=2&fid=Funny%2520stuff&inline=1

I don't doubt any of the problems reported from onboard the Statendam. We were on the same cruise as Susan and we enjoyed ourselves but, we also lost an engine and power after leaving Cartagena and as a result were 4 hours late in Ft. Lauderdale.

Our cabin was a little rough around the edges, and the bathroom need some TLC. The AC wasn't the best I've had and we did have a few problems with it during the trip. The fountain in the lobby only worked once and the aft elevators had trouble on several days.

Overall it's a nice ship, but it needs a lot of TLC to maintain HAL's 5 star standard. The captain kept calling it "THE BEAUTIFUL & ELEGANT STATEN DAM!!!" but I think he wasn't looking at the details.

Where is BOS?

BOS=Boston, Ma.

We're sailing on the Statendam next week, I am sure she'll be fine. We had flooding issues on the Eurodam last year (maiden voyage) and HAL came thru with shining colours, although I didn't like the inconvenience. And believe me, I would bbe getting a bigger credit than 200$ if I had to spend the night (involountarilly) in a public room!

Have a HAL of a good time, go on a cruise!

Statendam Panama Canal Oct 09

Eurodam Innaugural 20 days Baltic summer 08

Oosterdam Alaska summer 07

Noordam (best so far) Eastern Med Summer 06

NCL Caribbean summer 05

Windjammer, Mexico/Caribbean summer 1998

Carnival Festivale, Caribbean summer 1980!

BOS=Boston, Ma.

We're sailing on the Statendam next week, I am sure she'll be fine. We had flooding issues on the Eurodam last year (maiden voyage) and HAL came thru with shining colours, although I didn't like the inconvenience. And believe me, I would bbe getting a bigger credit than 200$ if I had to spend the night (involountarilly) in a public room!

I agree. Flooding can happen on any ship. We were on the Rotterdam in 2008 cruising from Copenhagen to Athens and there was flooding on the Main Deck. A couple from our table had fans in their room for three days. They negotiated a larger compensation from HAL. I think they eventuallly received $400 with the help from another couple at our table. The couple were really easy going. HAL actually moved the other people to another cabins. But our friends weren't able to get moved--not enough spare cabins and they didn't complain. All in all they still had a nice cruise.

Sleeping in the library as unpleasant as it sounds certainly will make a good story--I certainly wouldn't want to do it. But do you know how many kids would love to sleep overnight in a library?

Archived