What's causing bad behavior on cruise ships?

What's your opinion of the upswing in bad behavior on ships? (Choose all that apply.)  

1,367 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of the upswing in bad behavior on ships? (Choose all that apply.)

• Low fares are definitely attracting different or untraditional types of travelers to cruising
    • It's simple math; the more people cruise, the more troublemakers there will be onboard
    • I believe most outlandish conduct is the result of excessive drinking or carrying on
    • It's all media hype -- incidents are few when you consider how many cruises sail each year
    • It depends. Some passengers are justified in their "rebellions," others are downright rude
    • This poll makes me want to pick a fight (just kidding ... maybe)!
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

It's not just on cruises, it's everywhere. Stores, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.

I think it's a catch 22 situation. Parents tired of having to deal with their kids when they come home from work. Kids get away with stuff since we have become a gentler nation with "no spanking" laws. Just look on TV comedies...little kids getting smart mouthed to adults and viewers think it's "cute" or funny. Lots of elder folks get impatient with age especially since they get tired of standing in long lines.

All this negative behavior eventually rubs off as people see others behave in this manner. Then it eventually multiplies.

We've become a nation of Me instead of We.

We've become a nation of Me instead of We.

Exactly! Although not just a nation, unfortunately, but a group of nations.

We are so used to getting what we want when we want it, and threatening to sue if we don't, that we forget that we can get on perfectly well without a lot of it.

Entitled people are everywhere; on the road, in the supermarket, in the queue, all over!

Making judgement and putting people in a category can be tricky!

I never known frugality as any excuse for bad manners. I am from a culture, where people are said to be pushy and I kinda agree:D

Neatly reworded, but most working people have only a limited vacation allowance each year so your comments re extra vacations doesn't stand. I don't know about US holidays, but UK is normally around 21 working days or approx 4 weeks. Some time usually taken at christmas cuts this down, then there are the 8 I think statuary holidays. I could name a group that caused problems on Ventura recently, but this is not the place

Of course, none of that would be necessary if Jr was taught how to behave in public, wait your turn, and act like you have been raised in a civil and educated environment.

I went to Disney over the weekend. I was shocked at how bad line jumping and overall rudeness has become. I was in a very short line for a gelato at Epcot. There were only about a dozen people in this line. When I got up to the counter, a man tried to cut in front of me with his entire family. This man was an American. I will not say where he was from or what his background was, but his accent was very distinct. Of course, I would not have it. I made it very clear where the end of the line was. I was applauded by others in the line.

The worst part about this was that he was teaching his kids to cut in line. :rolleyes:

Neatly reworded, but most working people have only a limited vacation allowance each year so your comments re extra vacations doesn't stand. I don't know about US holidays, but UK is normally around 21 working days or approx 4 weeks.

Alot of people in the US start out with 10 working days (2 weeks) of vacation. Some employers (such as retail) only give 5 working days vacation/year after they work there after 1 year. In addition, alot of private employers (non government) give 8-10 national holidays/year.

I work for a large municipal employer (government) and after 17 years, my vacation allowance increased from 17 days to 22 days. We get 12 holidays/year. Better than average for the USA. I have traveled to alot of countries and in Europe/Australia/NZ, etc, they get more vacation/holiday than what we get.

Archived