Tips for wearing a dress with a slight train

Cruise Arizona

Hi, everyone, I think its been a while since I've posted. This summer I bought a new dress for my upcoming cruise. It was from last season so I couldn't find any current pictures of it on line, but it is from Morgan & Co at Dillards. (I seem to always buy my dresses there.)

The neck line is totall different than the one in this picture, but the hemline is similar and since that is what my question refers to I'm including this picture for reference. My dress has a deep v plunge and some beading and it is turqoise/blue, but this is the closest I could find.

My question is have any of you worn dresses with a bit of train on a cruise? Any tips for walking around, up and down stair, dancing?

AAAAAp-I4i4AAAAAANxSrw.jpg?v=1205160114000

You may want to "hike" the dress up when going up/down stairs---or even walking in crowded areas....folks tend to clump up against you, and are likely to step on the train---tearing the dress or tripping you (or them!). Keep it off the floor, if possible in crowded spaces! Long gowns aren't the best for dancing, unless it's something slow!

I haven't worn a dress with a train since I got married the first time many, many years ago! But I did wear a very long dress last month and had similar problems as I did when I wore that darned white lace train. :p

Yes, lift your skirt when you go up or down stairs, in and out of elevators, sit and possibly even when you walk. Tthe main problem I had was with my heels. My shoes had high heels and the heel wasn't a spike, but it wasn't a wedge either. The heel kept getting caught in the fabric when I walked. So just something to consider when you're choosing your shoes. Make sure that your soles and heels are smooth so they won't snag.

The dress is very pretty, by the way!

I wore a beautiful dress with a small "train" on it last cruise. Only problem was watching for someone stepping on it when standing really close to me, i.e. as in line, etc. It was stunning and I got many compliments on it. My husband did walk a bit behind me when going from dinner to the show etc. I'm not sure if he was watching my dress or just being gentlemanly.

I'm sure you will look great. Enjoy!

I wore a beautiful dress with a small "train" on it last cruise. Only problem was watching for someone stepping on it when standing really close to me, i.e. as in line, etc. It was stunning and I got many compliments on it. My husband did walk a bit behind me when going from dinner to the show etc. I'm not sure if he was watching my dress or just being gentlemanly.

I'm sure you will look great. Enjoy!

The back of this dress is very sexy, and we have a family suite with seperate bedrooms, maybe I should get my husband to check out my.....Oh, I'm not sure I should be so blunt. But I acutally think thats a good idea.

I would suggest walking around in the dress to see if you are comfortable in it. I had one with a slight train for a cruise and I fouind that I was always stepping on it and practically tripping myself.:o

I too gave up and took it to the seamtress to have the train taken off. I just didn't want to be concerned with me stepping on it, others doing the same or possibly having to hike it out of the way all the time even though I loved how it looked.

now being a man I cant say I have much dress wearing experience:rolleyes:but with the amount of foot traffic through sometimes tight quarters is the train a great idea? Just seems like there is a high risk of it getting stepped on a ruined or stepped on and you falling

Love it "Cruise Arizona"! You go girl! Seriously, if you love the dress wear it! I felt beautiful in mine and got so many compliments. I only had one miss step and it was because I backed up onto the train myself. No damage. You can always hold it up when doing stairs, etc. (Or have hubby do that too. ha, ha!)

Archived