unlimited bottled beer package????

cruise kitty

Hi-

Several months back the captains club newsletter advertised an upcoming bottled beer package- also a frozen drink package I think. I just looked over the new packages on the X site, and I don't see any of these offered, just wine (which I thought you could already get) Water, which you can bring on board yourself for free) and the usual soda. Am I missing something here? I was expecting something new.

Yes, pricing is still unknown at this point, but I daresay if you are planning to drink less than a six-pack on your cruise, it probably won't make sense for you to go for a package. (unless you meant a six-pack per day :o )

My guess is to add 1/3 to 1/2 to the soda packages currently offered to get an idea of the cost - though I could be completely wrong in my speculation.

...My guess is to add 1/3 to 1/2 to the soda packages currently offered to get an idea of the cost - though I could be completely wrong in my speculation.

I just can't see where this would be cost-effective for them. My DH can easily drink more than a sixpack a day while on vacation, as I am sure many other people can.

I think that this "unlimited" package may have a few surprises for us. (ie. not unlimited)

Is there an actuary or some other mathematical/statistical genius out there that can provide us with a formula that could make unlimited alcholic beverages of any kind ever work on a cruise ship? A lot of their revenue is dependent on bar sales. I think there would ultimately be a loss by way of waste from people ordering "whatever" "Extra" just to taste it, deciding not to drink it. Others just leaving drinks behind before finished, cause they can get a fresh one at their pleasure.

Boy I have really put a damper on this, huh? Sorry to be such a spoilsport about this. Just me overthinking I guess...:confused:

Hope I am wrong. Sure would love to be as I have a 14 night on the Connie in March.....

They're not going to lose any money -- you can bet on it. They'll make it up in volume. Right now, they have a coupon provided in your stateroom that if you buy 2 bottles of wine, you get 10% off. The beer will probably be "draft" beer only, like the soda package. As for water, buy your water bottles at your first port visit. There are no restrictions to bringing water & soda on board -- or at least I haven't heard of any.

They're not going to lose any money -- you can bet on it. They'll make it up in volume. Right now, they have a coupon provided in your stateroom that if you buy 2 bottles of wine, you get 10% off. The beer will probably be "draft" beer only, like the soda package. As for water, buy your water bottles at your first port visit. There are no restrictions to bringing water & soda on board -- or at least I haven't heard of any.

I agree, draft beer makes more sense, but the Captain's Club letter said bottled. I saw your other post mentioning 20oz Heinekin@ $4.50, that's a great price, Even if I got 4 a day ( and that'd be pushing it) I'd only spend $18 plus tip, If this bottled beer pkg is more than that, (and you know it will be) it probably won't be worth it for me, unless it has some fabulous selection.

I guarantee you it will not be unlimited beer. The only time it makes sense to have an open bar option from a marketing standpoint is if it is a large group and the whole group is charged something like $60/pp/day. then and only then is it a feasible as a profit center. Further, if an individual could buy unlimited booze at any price, there exists a real security problem when they try to "get their money's worth". Stop dreaming, it will NEVER be unlimited beer.

What will it be? Most likely a beer or frozen drink package would be similar to what they have on RCCL where you can buy in advance, 10 drink "tickets" at a discount or something similar.

I hope this beer package if it happens is not just going to be lager and will include bitter like Boddingtons

Taking your own wine on board is it 2 bottles per person or per couple, also is it only once ie can you bring 2 bottles on at every port we dock at ??

Skovgaard

I hope this beer package if it happens is not just going to be lager and will include bitter like Boddingtons

Taking your own wine on board is it 2 bottles per person or per couple, also is it only once ie can you bring 2 bottles on at every port we dock at ??

Skovgaard

It's 2 bottles per cabin, per cruise.

I guarantee you it will not be unlimited beer. The only time it makes sense to have an open bar option from a marketing standpoint is if it is a large group and the whole group is charged something like $60/pp/day. then and only then is it a feasible as a profit center. Further, if an individual could buy unlimited booze at any price, there exists a real security problem when they try to "get their money's worth". Stop dreaming, it will NEVER be unlimited beer.

What will it be? Most likely a beer or frozen drink package would be similar to what they have on RCCL where you can buy in advance, 10 drink "tickets" at a discount or something similar.

Exactly what I think...

• Administrators

Hi Folks!

I received the following information from the nice folks over at Celebrity:

The Beverage Online Reservations Schedule should help clear up when the program will roll out on specific ships.

In addition, they have asked me to post the following, which appears in its entirety in BLUE below:

Celebrity Cruises will be testing the operations of a pre-cruise beverage package program on Celebrity Millennium's October 26, November 6 and November 16, 2009, voyages. As of yesterday, guests on these sailings have the opportunity to purchase a limited selection of packages online, including bottled water, fountain soda and Taste of the Vineyards wine packages, before they cruise. Once testing is complete, Celebrity plans to roll out a complete pre-cruise beverage package program on the rest of its ships (except Celebrity Xpedition, the 92-guest mega-yacht sailing year-round in the Galapagos Islands) in the next several months. For dates, visit the link below.

On November 15, guests will be able to pre-purchase our full selection of beverage packages for all open sailings on Celebrity's other ships. Please visit www.celebritycruises.com/beveragepackages and click the link in the fourth paragraph for the complete list of packages and the rollout schedule.

Please note that Celebrity will have descriptions for the complete list of packages on its website within the next few days.

Note that they will be sending me the descriptions for the complete list of packages, and I will post them here as well.

Laura

Hi Folks!

I received the following information from the nice folks over at Celebrity:

The Beverage Online Reservations Schedule should help clear up when the program will roll out on specific ships.

In addition, they have asked me to post the following, which appears in its entirety in BLUE below:

Celebrity Cruises will be testing the operations of a pre-cruise beverage package program on Celebrity Millennium's October 26, November 6 and November 16, 2009, voyages. As of yesterday, guests on these sailings have the opportunity to purchase a limited selection of packages online, including bottled water, fountain soda and Taste of the Vineyards wine packages, before they cruise. Once testing is complete, Celebrity plans to roll out a complete pre-cruise beverage package program on the rest of its ships (except Celebrity Xpedition, the 92-guest mega-yacht sailing year-round in the Galapagos Islands) in the next several months. For dates, visit the link below.

On November 15, guests will be able to pre-purchase our full selection of beverage packages for all open sailings on Celebrity's other ships. Please visit www.celebritycruises.com/beveragepackages and click the link in the fourth paragraph for the complete list of packages and the rollout schedule.

Please note that Celebrity will have descriptions for the complete list of packages on its website within the next few days.

Note that they will be sending me the descriptions for the complete list of packages, and I will post them here as well.

Laura

Thank you, Laura!

Thomson cruises from the UK have an all inclusive package where all drinks are free. There are exceptions, wine is house wine, but it was very good, and premium liquors carry an extra payment, but it's not a large sum. The price for 1 week is currently about $250.

If you book easly enough, you can get the package for free.

I hope the liquor, beer and frozen drink packages are NOT unlimited. Sounds crazy, but an "all you can drink" wouldn't be appealing to me --- primarily because I want to remember some of my vacation :D, but also because of the cost.

What would be great would be a ticket package where you get X number of drinks for $X. Maybe a 10-drink, 15-drink or 20-drink package.

But I am looking forward to this. It helps when trying to budget for my spending money.:)

Archived