"If you thought FCO was confusing before..."

roninrome

The ADR is RE-Numbering all the terminals at FCO. And somehow they've made it more confusing than before....

Here's the text translated (Badly) from their website:

On the night of 10/24 small "army" of engineers and workers will take to the field to change the signs of the terminal, roads, car parks and in all areas open to the public.

The change in signage is designed both to rationalize the existing situation but also to realign the signs to the situation as regards the designation of the Terminal, the big international airports. The new nomenclature of reference for the system of the terminals has been determined:

Terminal A is renamed Terminal 1 (T1)

Terminal AA is renamed Terminal 2 (T2)

Terminals B and C (now merged) are renamed Terminal 3 (T3)

Terminal subsidiary sensitive flight is confirmed Terminal 5 (T5)

New name, literal B, C, D, G, H, of the boarding areas.

The Director of Aviation Safety and ADR, Elijah Gun, explained in 'interview, all details of the project:

Adapting to major hubs in the world, the airport of the capital take the system for identifying the number of terminals and distinguishes them permanently from the areas of shipment, which will be identified by letters A through H.

The revolution in signaling responds to a twofold, says Chief Aviation Security and Elijah Gun, "The renovation project will streamline the existing situation and bring the designation of areas of interest of passengers, terminals, and the interior of the terminals at what happens in the major international airports, with values similar to those of traffic at Fiumicino.

At the airport of Fiumicino infrastructure deployments have occurred gradually over time, which were identified under a name not consequential or misleading with respect to the actual location. For example, the embarkation areas are characterized by the letter C is located at Terminal namesake, is the Satellite West. This happened because, when it was installed the satellite, it was considered appropriate to continue the consecutive numbering of the outputs to those of the terminal is characterized by the same letter of the alphabet. The new releases of Terminal C, made following the Satellite, it continues the numbering, creating a "jump" difficult to understand logical for passengers. Likewise, the use of double A to identify one of the terminals does not match the names of the gates in it placed, identified with individuals. Only operators engaged in continuous activity knows that some outputs identified by the letter A are outside the pier of the same name. This was because the airport was expanded, in some cases outside of any program, a process that lasted over the years and previous plans for infrastructure development did not take into account the need to harmonize related signs. "

What are the new features?

"The new signage change the previous setting: in the month of October, Terminal A, AA, B and C, respectively, become 1, 2, 3 (because B and C will be merged), plus the existing T 5 which will keep its current name. This is because the future terminal for flights sensitive, which will be located beyond the current area Ceremonial, to be the Terminal 4, in a perspective that takes into account the infrastructure that will arise in the future.

The same goes for boarding areas, whose letter of designation will identify the physical place and will take into account those provided by the development plan to 2020. The new name corresponds to a logic of long-term and use techniques dictated by international custom, consistent with what the passengers are accustomed to find in other airports in the world. The biggest problem orienting, focus principally on the operators, who will give references logistics dictated from memory and pay great attention, at least initially, to the new nomenclature. I however, that the work of streamlining implementation and communication plan that explains, will facilitate the work of learning. "

Why we chose the autumn to implement this project?

This choice stems from the need to avoid possible errors in interpreting the new signs at the most "hot" year, when we can expect one, though partial, recovery of traffic. In autumn, in the presence of a smaller number of passengers, operators can consolidate the knowledge of the new names and limit the possible margin of error. "

Here's the web address with a map of the new terminal: CLICK HERE!

SO - time to relearn FCO!

The ADR is RE-Numbering all the terminals at FCO. And somehow they've made it more confusing than before....

On the night of 10/24 small "army" of engineers and workers will take to the field to change the signs of the terminal, roads, car parks and in all areas open to the public.

The change in signage is designed both to rationalize the existing situation but also to realign the signs to the situation as regards the designation of the Terminal, the big international airports. The new nomenclature of reference for the system of the terminals has been determined:

The Director of Aviation Safety and ADR, Elijah Gun, explained in 'interview, all details of the project:

Adapting to major hubs in the world, the airport of the capital take the system for identifying the number of terminals and distinguishes them permanently from the areas of shipment, which will be identified by letters A through H.

The revolution in signaling responds to a twofold, says Chief Aviation Security and Elijah Gun, "The renovation project will streamline the existing situation and bring the designation of areas of interest of passengers, terminals, and the interior of the terminals at what happens in the major international airports, with values similar to those of traffic at Fiumicino.

At the airport of Fiumicino infrastructure deployments have occurred gradually over time, which were identified under a name not consequential or misleading with respect to the actual location. For example, the embarkation areas are characterized by the letter C is located at Terminal namesake, is the Satellite West. This happened because, when it was installed the satellite, it was considered appropriate to continue the consecutive numbering of the outputs to those of the terminal is characterized by the same letter of the alphabet. The new releases of Terminal C, made following the Satellite, it continues the numbering, creating a "jump" difficult to understand logical for passengers. Likewise, the use of double A to identify one of the terminals does not match the names of the gates in it placed, identified with individuals. Only operators engaged in continuous activity knows that some outputs identified by the letter A are outside the pier of the same name. This was because the airport was expanded, in some cases outside of any program, a process that lasted over the years and previous plans for infrastructure development did not take into account the need to harmonize related signs. "

"The new signage change the previous setting: in the month of October, Terminal A, AA, B and C, respectively, become 1, 2, 3 (because B and C will be merged), plus the existing T 5 which will keep its current name. This is because the future terminal for flights sensitive, which will be located beyond the current area Ceremonial, to be the Terminal 4, in a perspective that takes into account the infrastructure that will arise in the future.

The same goes for boarding areas, whose letter of designation will identify the physical place and will take into account those provided by the development plan to 2020. The new name corresponds to a logic of long-term and use techniques dictated by international custom, consistent with what the passengers are accustomed to find in other airports in the world. The biggest problem orienting, focus principally on the operators, who will give references logistics dictated from memory and pay great attention, at least initially, to the new nomenclature. I however, that the work of streamlining implementation and communication plan that explains, will facilitate the work of learning. "

This choice stems from the need to avoid possible errors in interpreting the new signs at the most "hot" year, when we can expect one, though partial, recovery of traffic. In autumn, in the presence of a smaller number of passengers, operators can consolidate the knowledge of the new names and limit the possible margin of error. "

Unseful info

http://www.rome-airport.info/

We flew out of Rome on the 25th, the day after the changeover, and it seemed to have gone smoothly. There are currently both letter designations on the buildings and number designations along the curb. It certainly makes more sense than A, B, C and 5.

Incidentally, one suggestion if you are being driven out to the airport. Don't let your driver drop you along the curb at the main departure area where there is a big T5 sign. That is a stop for an inter-terminal shuttle bus which will then take you to the real T5. The driver should keep going past the sign and take a right fork, which will curve around behind the main terminal buildings to the actual T5; this will save some extra luggage handling.

T5 is nothing more than a glorified check-in area; after you drop your bags and clear security, you go out to an airside bus which takes you to the same old Terminal C, perhaps the only major airport in the world in which you cannot buy a newspaper or book to read on your flight.

T5 is nothing more than a glorified check-in area; after you drop your bags and clear security, you go out to an airside bus which takes you to the same old Terminal C, perhaps the only major airport in the world in which you cannot buy a newspaper or book to read on your flight.

This is the second time I've seen someone mention this, but it's not true! There's a Feltrinelli bookstore in the "pod" (gates 20 - 33) where you are delivered after checking in at T5. Lots of books and magazines in multiple languages - I don't know about newspapers as I wasn't looking for one.

This is the second time I've seen someone mention this, but it's not true! There's a Feltrinelli bookstore in the "pod" (gates 20 - 33) where you are delivered after checking in at T5. Lots of books and magazines in multiple languages - I don't know about newspapers as I wasn't looking for one.

You are absolutely correct about the Feltrinelli bookstore (which also sells the only non-food reasonably priced souvenir gifts in the terminal). But you definitely cannot get a newspaper there or anywhere else in that entire terminal; I asked the bookstore personnel specifically in June because none of us had ever, but ever, not been able to purchase a newspaper at an airport.

Our USAir went out of G 05, and the pod serving that group of gates offers no reading material that isn't a label on a box or bottle.

Do you mean C-5? If so, that's back in the main terminal area where there are several newstands.

The only "pod" I'm aware of at Fiumicino are the gates I mentioned, which used to be known as C 20 - 33 (before the re-label). There absolutely is a bookstore out there. I'll defer to Pam on the newspapers, as I said I wasn't looking for one, but there most certainly was a variety of books.

Do you mean C-5? If so, that's back in the main terminal area where there are several newstands.

The only "pod" I'm aware of at Fiumicino are the gates I mentioned, which used to be known as C 20 - 33 (before the re-label). There absolutely is a bookstore out there. I'll defer to Pam on the newspapers, as I said I wasn't looking for one, but there most certainly was a variety of books.

We're talking about the same pod. A map with the G-series gate numbers can be found at http://www.adr.it/portal/content/FileAttach/adr/Attach/Fiumicino/terminal_3_partenze_nuova_denomi****one.pdf. I clearly missed Feltrinelli when I was there, but now I know where it is, so this conversation has been useful. I really want my Herald Tribune, but a magazine will get me across the Atlantic too.

As if it wasn't confusing enough maybe they could implement a system where they decide daily which airlines will fly out of which terminals lol.

It is weird, isn't it, that they don't sell newspapers. Makes me wonder if someone else has the exclusive right to sell them in the airport, but doesn't have a shop out in the pod. Seems pretty silly not to sell them.

Very strange. Our plane boarded almost an hour late, so I was able to explore every store in the new terminal 5. I was amazed at the number of high-end women's accessories stores (the Pucci/Gucci ones I mentioned in a previous post), a centrally-located food/liquor/duty-free store, and one bookstore, but not a single newspaper available anywhere.

Part of my return to my real-world life after a vacation is purchasing a newspaper, usually the International Tribune, and even the bookstore did not sell any.

Also, the only souvenir-type shop was a small corner of that same Feltrenelli bookstore.

• 7 months later...

Hi Ron, I was told you could give me a good idea of where to meet my cousin in the airport..I arrive about30 minutes earlier,they say. Is there a kiosk or landmark to meet outside customs? I leave tomorrow and feel quite nervous arriving alone....thank you...

Shopping1, you didn't offer much information so I'm only guessing that both you and your cousin are arriving from countries outside of the Schengen area (the US or Canada, for example).

If so, you will arrive at terminal 3 (T3) and exit customs from the same area. If you look at this map of the terminal (http://www.adr.it/portal/content/FileAttach/adr/Attach/Fiumicino/terminal_3_arrivi_nuova_denomi****one.pdf)

at the bottom right it sayts "Terminal 3 Arrivals". Just above that is an area with a white background, which is the main hallway and meeting area. Just above that is an area with a light blue background, this is the baggage claim area. Once you collect your luggage, you'll follow the brown dotted line and arrow through customs and you'll go through doors into the main hallway (two brown arrows on the map).

If you look right in front of you (where the brown arrows are pointing), you'll see a green area on the map. This is a 24 hour Chef Express coffee shop where you can meet.

Edited to add:

I don't think the link to the FCO web site is working right. If you go to the web site http://www.adr.it and click on English Version (upper left corner), then click on Services, then on Terminal Maps (under sections), then on Arrivals, you'll get the map.

Archived