Island Princess 10-Day Panama Canal Review - Not quite LIVE ... but close

SweetAngel

Your photos are fab! Balcony you showed what Catagory was the cabin reason---Question if anyone can answer. We booked a BA category cabin on the Caribe deck mid ship -knowing it has a partial overhang -- plus were told is a larger balcony with the 4 chairs unlike BC -catagory (Aloha deck)that we had on the Coral last year. did not want a mini -midship-because no overhang at all & some of fellow travelers only want midship therefore could not go back further with minis. On your pictures shows mini with 4 chairs but big thinig is BA cabins having the larger balconies with room for 4 chairs? Thanks Really enjoyed our 4 chairs on the Ruby last month!

Very strange...when I looked at this thread around 5PM today all of the photos she posted were visible (and great...:))...now there are all kinds of messages about exceeding band width...I hope it gets corrected!

The same thing happened to me. I agree, hope it gets fixed soon. This is a great thread in preparing for our Nov 20th cruise.

Mike

Your photos are fab! Balcony you showed what Catagory was the cabin reason---Question if anyone can answer. We booked a BA category cabin on the Caribe deck mid ship -knowing it has a partial overhang -- plus were told is a larger balcony with the 4 chairs unlike BC -catagory (Aloha deck)that we had on the Coral last year. did not want a mini -midship-because no overhang at all & some of fellow travelers only want midship therefore could not go back further with minis. On your pictures shows mini with 4 chairs but big thinig is BA cabins having the larger balconies with room for 4 chairs? Thanks Really enjoyed our 4 chairs on the Ruby last month!

There was a site that described all the balconies on Island Princess, but it is no longer working. :(

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Without that site, I can't tell you much about the different sizes of balconies.

In know the mini-suites have 4 chairs on the balcony. This balcony is from cabin #710 on Dolphin Deck.

th_100_3662.jpg

I was the only Panamaniac with a regular balcony. Mine was small with only 2 chairs -- Aloha 712.

According to this site:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/Island+Princess-deck-plans.html

There are some Caribe deck balcony cabins that have the extended balcony -- must be the BA ones (I assume). Those rooms would be really nice to have.

Very strange...when I looked at this thread around 5PM today all of the photos she posted were visible (and great......now there are all kinds of messages about exceeding band width...

I suspect that the poster has subscribed to a picture storage site that has a limit on how much bandwidth can be used in a month (or some other time period).

With all of the CC people who have looked at these photos, that contracted bandwidth has been exceeded.

I have to ask...how does the Princess cruise compare to the Disney cruise? I have been looking at both.

This Princess cruise is my favorite of ALL my cruises. Nothing compares to it.

But ...

You really can't compare Disney to any other cruise. It is its own entity. There are too many things that make the Disney cruise special, one-of-a-kind. Honestly, everyone should take a Disney cruise once in their lives to see what I mean (unless you happen to hate all things Disney). No cruise is anything like it. Disney is the only cruise with fireworks at sea, rotational dining, and of course all the Disney magic.

Which one you take depends on too many factors, especially whether you have kids. I didn't have kids with me on Princess. I did on Disney. Disney was definitely better for the kids. And, most people don't know this, but Disney has more adult areas and adult-only activities than any other ship too.

Very strange...when I looked at this thread around 5PM today all of the photos she posted were visible (and great...:))...now there are all kinds of messages about exceeding band width...I hope it gets corrected!

I suspect that the poster has subscribed to a picture storage site that has a limit on how much bandwidth can be used in a month (or some other time period).

With all of the CC people who have looked at these photos, that contracted bandwidth has been exceeded.

Yep, this thread is definitely more popular than I had anticipated.

I had to upgrade. :D

It's all good now.

Day 5 – Lee Miles Tour in Cartegena

Tour Stop #2: San Felipe Fortress

We saw the fort from a few different vantage points in town as well as making a 10-minute photo stop at the entrance.

100_3857.jpg?t=1257226594

The ship excursion takes a 30-minute tour at this fort, but I am much happier I spent that time at the beautiful La Popa Monastery instead. The photos from the outside of the fort were fine for me.

IMGA2958.jpg?t=1257227055

There was a nice plaza in front of the fort with signs and statues.

PA150086.jpg?t=1257227664

Again there were some aggressive vendors and ladies who would ask for $1 to take their picture with you. The ladies, called palenqueras, dressed in traditional brightly colored dresses and carried fruit on their heads.

IMGA2966.jpg?t=1257226878

Tour Stop #3: Las Bovedas (The Dungeons)

We stopped for 30 minutes to shop on our own at the old dungeons, which have been transformed into a shopping plaza. Items and prices varied from store to store. Sometimes you could bargain. Other times you could not. Vendors on the sidewalk (outside the stores) were most likely to bargain.

IMGA2984.jpg?t=1257228929

I got my traditional souvenirs (a shot glass, an ornament, and a magnet). I also found some chocolate-covered coffee nibs, a decorative fan, and a wooden musical instrument for the kids. I bargained for a $5 triple-CD set of Colombian music. (When I got home and found out how good the music was, I felt bad about not giving more for it.) JD bought what he thought were Colombian cigars for $20. Later he found out they were Cuban. Lucky thing he was Canadian and not American, so he could legally take them home with him.

Crown Prince,

I've been corresponding by email with Rene at Big Twin Harley Davidson. They web site is http://www.harleydavidson-aruba.com/ . He has told me that they modify the tour for people on the Island Princess because we leave at 1PM.

Thank you, sooooo much, RICK. I copied everything on his website and shall e-mail him. I really appreciate your sharing this tour. It sounds like something I will really like.

:D:D;):D:D

Tour Stop #4: The Walled City

This is the reason people come to Cartegena, to see the old walled city. It is absolutely charming and feels like you have suddenly dropped into old Europe. At this point, you have to get out and walk. Our bus dropped us off at Plaza Bolivar and picked us up later at San Pedro Claver Church so that we would not have to retrace our steps.

I took too many good pictures to put here. You can see them at

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo65/moonbutterfly1/Island%20Princess%20Oct%202009/Island%20Princess%20Ports/Cartegena%20Colombia/?start=40

The streets are narrow and the historical buildings are kept-up beautifully.

IMGA2990.jpg?t=1257230271

The statues on the right in the above picture were alive. We didn’t realize that until our guide told us. We had been standing there a good five minutes too. You only saw the statues move when you put money in the tip jar. Then they would catch a fish and shake your hand. They were really great at their job and definitely earned their tips. And to think they stood there in that tropical heat with black coats on!!!

At this point, it was starting to get uncomfortably hot and horribly humid. Everyone had told us that Cartegena was the hottest port, and they were right. Only 10 degrees north of the Equator, Cartegena is the most southerly city on the itinerary. Bring water bottles.

JJ stopped at various plazas to share some facts and history with us. We stepped inside a couple hotels along the way to see the pretty courtyards. I was reminded of Hawaii where all the buildings were open-air. Hotel lobbies and desks were outdoors. There were no front doors, only open archways. Very inviting. Very lovely.

IMGA3012.jpg

At one hotel, JJ told us a story of the historical mirror where ladies would check their make-up before mounting their horses. Some of the ladies in our group became a part of history by having our pictures taken in the same mirror.

7620_104198269591692_100000045596937_118501_3446403_n.jpg

Then JJ took us to see a street artist in action. He told us the man was a finger painter who could create beautiful art in only two minutes. It was amazing to watch, hard to believe our own eyes.

We watched this …

PA150097.jpg

go from this …

IMGA3016.jpg

to this …

PA150102a.jpg

I had to buy it! Only $7. I bought another painting too and got both for $10.

Again, the vendors along the street were very aggressive. “No” didn’t always work. JD and I found it best not to look anyone in the eye, to ignore them (like we couldn’t hear them), and to keep walking. Once you showed interest or asked, “How much?” you were doomed.

I was the only Panamaniac with a regular balcony. Mine was small with only 2 chairs -- Aloha 712.

There are some Caribe deck balcony cabins that have the extended balcony -- must be the BA ones (I assume). Those rooms would be really nice to have.

I was on this cruise in C403. All of the balconies on Caribe deck are larger than a mini-suite balcony on Dolphin, one deck down. There were four chairs and a round table on our balcony with room to spare. The Dolphin deck balconies are totally uncovered and completely visible from a Caribe deck balcony.

Yes, the Caribe deck balconies are partially covered, but on Island Princess if you look way up, you will see a very large "overhang" which is the Lido deck.

Research your cabin choice carefully on this ship - there is a very wide variety of balcony configurations as the ship has "bump outs" along its length.

The Dolphin and Caribe deck balcony/cabin pairs have the same footprint. The difference is that the Dophin minis have the extra room in the cabin, and the Caribes have the extra room on the balcony.

Shoo, We are going to be on the Island cruise in March. We are planning on a Harley rental also. We are renting directly from the dealer for less money. He has stated that they modify their standard tour so you get back in time to make the 1PM sailing. Have fun and good luck.

Unbelievable how much less expensive the rental is straight from the dealer! Yep, that was my only concern, getting back to the ship on time, but I am pretty comfortable that it will not be a problem. Have a great time!!

Shoo

Our west-to-east transit does not go to Cartegena. I wasn't feeling deprived before but now I am! Great photos and I love the walled city. What a ton of history amidst the new century skyscrapers.

I promise to return the favor and post lots of photos when we sail next month.

JoAnn

Angel,

You should be getting paid for this review....amazing! Looking forward to the next 5 days review. We are sailing on Island Princess Feb 8th and have yet to consider tours....you have provided much food for thought...thanks again!

Angel, thanks so much for sharing your review and photos. I've done this itinerary on the Island's twin sister, the Coral, and this brings back such great memories.

We're leaving on the Island on November 30 and your review is really adding to my excitement and anticipation.

Thanks for all the info and pictures. Sailing the same cruise on the 20th. I do have a question for you or another viewer. Is the parking garage directly across from the pier or do you have to take the shuttle? I can't remember as our last P cruise we had a bus from home instead of driving.

Is the parking garage directly across from the pier or do you have to take the shuttle? I can't remember as our last P cruise we had a bus from home instead of driving.

Somebody else should answer this to be certain.

We took a hotel shuttle in and a Princess transfer out, but there was an enormous parking garage right there at the pier. I assume that is where you'd be parking.

I was on this cruise in C403. All of the balconies on Caribe deck are larger than a mini-suite balcony on Dolphin, one deck down. There were four chairs and a round table on our balcony with room to spare. The Dolphin deck balconies are totally uncovered and completely visible from a Caribe deck balcony.

Yes, the Caribe deck balconies are partially covered, but on Island Princess if you look way up, you will see a very large "overhang" which is the Lido deck.

Research your cabin choice carefully on this ship - there is a very wide variety of balcony configurations as the ship has "bump outs" along its length.

The Dolphin and Caribe deck balcony/cabin pairs have the same footprint. The difference is that the Dophin minis have the extra room in the cabin, and the Caribes have the extra room on the balcony.

Hi Paul. Thanks for the info on balconies. I knew you were the expert. :)

Try going to this web site. It has grest pictures showing all of the outside rooms and tell which are covered and more.http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Good, the site is working now. That's the best site to find out about specific balconies for all cabins on Island Princess.

The Walled City - Continued

We made a photo stop at the Palace of the Inquisition, which is now a historical museum.

IMGA3019.jpg

The plaza at the InquisitionPalace has a pleasant little park. We saw a horse and carriage go by.

IMGA3022.jpg

Then we went to the air-conditioned GoldMuseum, where we saw some exhibits and watched a short film. It was not a very exciting or memorable film, but it gave us a chance to sit down and cool off while JJ got a short break.

IMGA3026.jpg

The next plaza had an impressive statue of Christopher Columbus. On each side of the pedestal was a picture of Columbus’s individual ships.

PA150108.jpg

It was only then that I realized where Colombia got its name. BONK! Kind of felt like I’d been hit in the head with a brick. And here I came sailing on the Columbus Day cruise (October 12th).

I barely got a glimpse of the statue before we were off again. I took photos of the Nina and Pinta but had to leave the Santa Maria behind. The group was leaving without me.

We passed some sidewalk vendors.

IMGA3033.jpg

Then we stopped at another museum, Museo de la Esmeralda. Here a tour guide used a map of Colombia to tell the history of mining, and we walked through an emerald mine display.

IMGA3034.jpg

Archived