Island Princess 10-Day Panama Canal Review - Not quite LIVE ... but close

SweetAngel

Day 5 – Lee Miles Tour in Cartegena

The Walled City - San Pedro Claver Monastery

The finale of our tour was the San Pedro Claver Monastery.

IMGA3074.jpg

In front of the church is a statue of San Pedro.

IMGA3072.jpg

San Pedro is the great patron saint of Colombia, and he is buried in a lighted glass coffin right under the altar.

IMGA3059.jpg

The church is beautiful, a photographer’s paradise.

The Dome:

IMGA3067.jpg

The Courtyard:

IMGA3052.jpg

The original bells are hanging in the courtyard.

IMGA3049.jpg

To see more, check out:

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo65/moonbutterfly1/Island%20Princess%20Oct%202009/Island%20Princess%20Ports/Cartegena%20Colombia/?start=80

You know, a great show begins and ends with its best numbers. Dazzle them … keep them entertained … and end with a big performance. This tour was like a great show -- Beginning with the dazzling La Popa Monastery and ending with the magnificent San Pedro. Perfect!

Back on board the ship, I met other people who had taken the ship tour (Best of Cartegena and Fortress). When I asked how they liked it, they mostly shrugged and said, “It was okay.” “It was hot.” “Lots of walking.”

Their tour of the walled city should have been similar to ours, but I imagine that their fort tour would involve a lot more walking outdoors in the heat.

Every one of the Panamaniacs I interviewed felt their excursion was fantastic. Hands down, we definitely got the better deal!

Day 5 – Sailaway from Cartegena

Our Lee Miles tour ended with plenty of time to spare before sailaway. As there was really nothing to do in the port area, we went aboard and had a late lunch in Horizon Court. Today there was a tasty lasagna, a mini quiche and some interesting breads. There was also a delicious apple turnover that you could cover with vanilla custard. I ate a lot of salads onboard because I enjoyed the huge variety of salad fixings. In fact Princess had two whole stations dedicated just to salad. I don’t remember ever seeing a salad bar with so many choices.

100_3869.jpg

All aboard was 2:30pm. I went to the back of Lido Deck to watch as the tall buildings slowly disappeared.

100_3877.jpg

Most would say the highlight of the cruise is the Panama Canal, but for me it was South America. This is the first time I went to a new continent. To me, South America is an exotic place, somewhere I never really thought I’d actually get to go. I sat there watching the sailaway contentedly, happy that I actually made it here, and happy to have had such a great day.

100_3885.jpg?t=1257240677

Day 5 – Evening Onboard

At 3:15 I went to Explorer’s Lounge for the afternoon game show, “The Princess Pyramid.” Turnout for this activity was small (which I actually liked better). I think most people were resting from their excursions. Asst. CD Leah divided us into two teams, and we took turns sending people up in two’s to give clues and guess answers for our team. It’s played like Password, Taboo, or 100,000 Pyramid. The final rounds were fun because, instead of one player giving clues, everyone on the team shouted out clues while two people tried to guess the answers. That made for some intense craziness. We were having so much fun that Leah threw in another bonus round for us.

At 4:15, I went to Wheelhouse Bar for my daily dose of trivia. By now, I had a regular group that I was sitting with every time. We always ended up one of the top teams but never got that 1st place prize.

Explorer’s Lounge was having a margarita and nacho night from 5:30-8pm, but unfortunately, I didn’t make it back down there till it was over.

JD and I went to dinner at 5:30 pm. There were some very nice selections tonight except for the barley soup. The waiter recommended it, so I tried it, but it was as bland as could be. I figured the waiter could not have possibly tasted this particular batch. The appetizers were wonderful. The crab apple salad was served in a dessert glass. For my entrée, I had the surf and turf. It was perfect. Dessert was a delicious cherries jubilee. JD had his favorite Love Boat Dream.

th_100_3887.jpgth_100_3888.jpgth_100_3889.jpgth_100_3891.jpgth_100_3892.jpgth_100_3893.jpg

After dinner, we stopped in the art gallery to critique the paintings and have some complimentary wine and cheese.

At 7:40, we went down to Princess Theater to get some close-up seats for the Production show (7th row center). The show was “Piano Man,” an engaging full-scale tribute to Billy Joel, Elton John, Barry Manilow, Liberace, and Neil Sedaka. Being a child of the 70’s and a lover of piano music, I thought this was a fantastic show. I wanted to sing along.

At 9:15, JD and I went to the evening game show, a battle of the sexes. This was a wild one which involved being the first team to bring up a particular item when it was called for. Items were articles of clothing, things found in the bar (including the drink server himself) or things you might happen to have brought with you. It was the first time they did this particular game, so there were a few kinks and silliness, but we had a good time.

At 10:15, JD and I tried the Karaoke once again in Heat 2 of “Princess Pop Star.”

Then it was straight to bed … because tomorrow would finally be the Panama Canal!!!!!

The pictures of Cartagena look like the Miami skyline when leaving from that port. Just saw on NOAA site that the Caribbean canal area and Costa Rica have a strong low that can turn into a major late storm. Hope this week's cruisers will be able to enjoy those ports.

Sailing the same cruise on the 20th. I do have a question for you or another viewer. Is the parking garage directly across from the pier or do you have to take the shuttle? I can't remember as our last P cruise we had a bus from home instead of driving.

Hey m steve, check out my post from yesterday on our cruise's roll call (11/20/09). I've got a link to a map of PE as well as a link to a park 'n go that is near to the port that will save you about $35 if you choose to park there instead.

Hi Sunsetbeachgal,

Yeah I know the pic doesn't look nearly as good as it tasted ... meat looks fatty in the picture, but it really wasn't. It was all in a gravy with mushrooms and onions, pretty tasty.

Yeah, the Medallions of Beef were pretty darn yummy! Don't look at the picture....

Angel, great job! Wish we were still there:o

Angel,

Just wanted to say again how great it is to read (and see) your accounts of your trip. Our sailing date is fast approaching and this thread is fantastic!

One question I have for you... Do you think that your "Lee Miles" tour in Cartagena was so good because of:

a. The group you were with

b. The places that you went

c. The guide's knowledge and personality

d. Something I am missing?

We are currently booked on one of the Princess tours and have been considering switching but just looking for some info...

Thanks,

RA

One question I have for you... Do you think that your "Lee Miles" tour in Cartagena was so good because of:

a. The group you were with

b. The places that you went

c. The guide's knowledge and personality

d. Something I am missing?

We are currently booked on one of the Princess tours and have been considering switching but just looking for some info...

These are in rank order, best reasons first:

#1 The places we visited were better (especially since Princess didn't include La Popa Monastery).

#2 The size of the small group made moving easier so that we could see more places in the same amount of time.

#3 We could see and hear the guide better while touring (cuz of the small group).

#4 More time spent touring and less time spent shopping (30 mins shopping was plenty).

#5 The guide's personality, charm, and knowledge.

#6 The Panamaniacs were fun companions.

Day 6 - Sunrise in the Panama Canal

The Panama Canal Festivities began at 5:30 am when the Canal Pilot got onboard. We had set our alarm for 6:00, which was perfect as morning light was just beginning to pierce the darkness. (Sunrise was at 6:08). Use your Patter to find sunrise time during your voyage.

100_3898.jpg?t=1257433266

We opened our balcony to the sound of beautiful classical music being broadcast from Lido Deck right above us. The music set the perfect mood for such a special event and was interspersed with commentary about the canal, its wildlife, and the enfolding sites around us. You could also get the commentary on Princess Channel 43 on your stateroom television.

IMGA3076.jpg?t=1257433442

We leisurely dressed and then relaxed on our balcony until our pre-ordered breakfast arrived at 6:30.

100_3904.jpg?t=1257433539

I have to tell you, even cold cereal and fruit are amazingly delicious when eaten amidst the enchanting sites and sounds of the Panama Canal.

9417_104146302930222_100000045596937_116763_6822188_n.jpg

16456_104551309556388_100000045596937_128909_7344982_n.jpg

Sunrise was gorgeous.

100_3901.jpg?t=1257433256

Day 6 – Early Morning Fog

The early morning fog hovered over the jungle around us adding a mystical feeling to it all.

IMGA3090.jpg?t=1257435179

One guide boat led us while another followed.

IMGA3089.jpg?t=1257435165

The commentator pointed out crocodiles in the water around us.

IMGA3092.jpg?t=1257435711

People from balcony to balcony became the friendliest of neighbors and helped point out the crocodiles (which looked like little logs – bring binoculars).

IMGA3093.jpg?t=1257435201

There were pretty lighthouses at the north and south entrances to Gatun Locks.

IMGA3098.jpg?t=1257435307

It was shortly after 7:00 when we reached the first lock.

PA160136.jpg?t=1257436293

Day 6 – Entering Gatun Locks

Now that we reached the locks, I decided to wander out and try to get a front view while JD relaxed on the balcony.

I took this picture of the first three gates …

100_3908.jpg?t=1257437227

… while JD was taking this picture looking down on the port side from our Aloha deck balcony.

PA160138.jpg?t=1257436711

Using my CC advice, I went down to one of the secret decks to get a front view. You can go all the way forward on Baja or Caribe Deck to the front door. The door is marked “Emergency Exit,” but it’s okay – use it. There were lots of people on deck, but not too many to find a good viewing spot. It was easy to walk right up and snap a picture with a dead-on front view of the first lock (There is no need to get up early and save a spot on the rail for yourself – just relax and walk around getting all the angles and viewpoints as you go … there’s plenty of room for everyone).

100_3909.jpg?t=1257437476

Anyone would kindly take a picture of you in front of the canal gate as well. Of course, several of the Panamaniacs had found their way to these prime viewing spots too.

100_3912.jpg?t=1257438296

These secret decks are great because of the unobstructed front view. Up above, where most people are on Lido and Sun Deck, you have to take pictures through plexiglass or take turns with people squeezing between the panes.

I stayed up front through the first lock, watching the gates open before us and the mules towing us along. In the original days of the Panama Canal real animals were used to tow and keep the ships in line. Today the mules are locomotive engines.

100_3918.jpg?t=1257437544

100_3920.jpg?t=1257439035

These are in rank order, best reasons first:

#1 The places we visited were better (especially since Princess didn't include La Popa Monastery).

#2 The size of the small group made moving easier so that we could see more places in the same amount of time.

#3 We could see and hear the guide better while touring (cuz of the small group).

#4 More time spent touring and less time spent shopping (30 mins shopping was plenty).

#5 The guide's personality, charm, and knowledge.

#6 The Panamaniacs were fun companions.

Makes sense... Thanks for your feedback.

RA

Question: About what time of the morning was it when you took the pictures in post #141? We tend to sleep in and I don't want to miss anything.

It was just after 7:00 am ship time when we hit the first set of locks. Each cruise will differ somewhat due to traffic in the canal.

It takes 1 1/2 hours to go through the Gatun Locks. Then the ship anchors in Gatun Lake about 8:30 am.

Here is the Island Princess LIVE right now, going through the Gatun Locks!

island_bridge.jpg

I remember looking at the webcam a few times before I left for my cruise, but I am even more excited watching it now that I've been there!

Those of you tuning in right now get to see it LIVE!

Thank you SweetAngel for all the time and money you are devoting doing a live from thread. I really appreciate it. I have been to the Panama Canal many times (last time was Oct.09) but I'll be looking froward to my first time thru the Canal with Princess in Oct.2010.

I was on this cruise in C403. All of the balconies on Caribe deck are larger than a mini-suite balcony on Dolphin, one deck down. There were four chairs and a round table on our balcony with room to spare. The Dolphin deck balconies are totally uncovered and completely visible from a Caribe deck balcony.

Yes, the Caribe deck balconies are partially covered, but on Island Princess if you look way up, you will see a very large "overhang" which is the Lido deck.

Research your cabin choice carefully on this ship - there is a very wide variety of balcony configurations as the ship has "bump outs" along its length.

The Dolphin and Caribe deck balcony/cabin pairs have the same footprint. The difference is that the Dophin minis have the extra room in the cabin, and the Caribes have the extra room on the balcony.

Hi,

I have that room when we sail in the next few weeks! Hope it's a good one!

Archived