Is 4 formal nights in 14 days overkill?

bonsat

I love seeing my adult sons in their dark suits - they like it, too, and always look for the opportunity to get a family portrait taken.

Me too! We love having the formal pics with our family and also with our friends!!

There is NOTHING wrong with a man in a tuxedo/suit - they look so handsome, don't they? :)

IMO, a 14-day cruise is always a bit more festive and you likely see more people dressing up, rather than not. On a cruise this length, we've always enjoyed bringing out our finest and have been happy to see others do the same.

Four days out of fourteen seems hardly enough to me. :)

I've been wondering, since the last time you posted this photo ... what's the drain for???

Rev,

The drain is actually a permanent part of the Museum floor where these two tourist sculptures were displayed ;)

I have seen exibitions of this artist and the reality he achieves is almost frightening. His "Junkie" really is something to behold !

Let's see ...

Granted, all I need is a black suite, clerical vest, collar, white long-sleve neckband shirt with cufflinks and collar buttons, black dress shoes, black socks, undershirt and undershorts, watch, belt. I also have to shower, shave, clean my nails, and make sure my hair is presentable. All of these are FAR easier than what a woman feels as though she must do to be prepared for Formal Night.

HOWEVER ... I don't always do formal nights dressed in just a black suit and clericals. I usually try to mix things around so that I'm wearing something different on each formal night. For instance, sometimes I wear:

Black Tux with Notch lapels

or

Black Tux with shawl collar

or

White dinner jacket with black tux pants

All the above are worn with white tux shirt, bow tie, and either cummerbund or vest in either black or some other color set (i.e., blue, red, cream, silver). Oh ... and undershirt, undershorts, socks, black dress shoes, shirt studs, cufflinks, belt or suspenders, watch.

OR, if I want to look formal but also clerical, I can and often do wear:

Black nehru with black clergy vest, white neckband shirt (hidden under the vest), tux pants, black shoes, undershirt and shorts and socks, cuff links, collar buttons, watch.

In short ... while, in theory it may be simple for me, in reality -- because I desire it -- I have many different formal night looks. I usually try to wear a different one on each formal Night. This is what I'll be doing on my 18-day cruise on the Rotterdam beginning next week.

With all that packing to do for your upcoming Rotterdam TA, I'm surprised you have any time for posting here :rolleyes:

And to think Ruth is already on board with even more formal wear :eek:

I never travel with more than one Tux (well I've only been on 7 day cruises so far){and the others seem to have shrunk???:(}.

Plenty of colored & white shirts, various long and bow ties, various cummerbunds and vests (too hot in warm climates) and, well yes, clean under things :p

The jewelry is the fun part for me, because I do bring the Good Stuff (oops that is another thread).

I imagine what with vows of poverty and humility and all, that you would be very understated in any adornments. :confused:

r.

Rev,

Just guessing here, but you probably don't have to have a separate suit, underwear, shoes and jewelry for each formal night. You probably don't have to have to get your hair done, or your nails. So, for you, a formal night means What? A clean collar?:D

John & I both love the formal nights, too. True, he only has the 1 tux & 1 pair of black dress shoes, but does bring along extra shirts, vests, socks, etc. We both appreciate clean underwear, so depending on the length of the trip, will either pack enough for the entire journey, or will send some laundry out.

The type of formal wear that I take depends on how we travel to the embarkation port. If we are flying & have a more limited baggage allowance, then it's silky cocktail dresses that roll up & perhaps won't wrinkle too badly. I'll also work out my colors so that I'll only need 1 pair of dressy heels & 1 evening bag. Jewelry takes up NO space at all (just have to remember to bring it :o). If we depart from NYC & can take a bus, I have a whole lot more room & then can take fluffy ball gowns & more shoes.

I do my own hair & will get a mani-pedi prior to departure.

But Brian brings more clothes (& dresses much better) than John & I do. :) And on formal nights he looks smashing. Actually, all of you gents in tuxes do. One of my fave pix is from our Noordam reunion cruise - I think we were on Ocean Bar before dinner one night & all of you guys are lined up in your black tie. Mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm. :):)

But Brian brings more clothes (& dresses much better) than John & I do. :) And on formal nights he looks smashing. Actually, all of you gents in tuxes do. One of my fave pix is from our Noordam reunion cruise - I think we were on Ocean Bar before dinner one night & all of you guys are lined up in your black tie. Mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm. :):)

susan -

I have one from Noordam inaugural with Soony, I, Brian, Greg and Scotty that I absolutely love... they are all so handsome. :)

We'll also have four formals scheduled on our upcoming 14-day SD-Hawaii-SD roundtrip on Zaandam and those four are just about fine by us. I you want more formals, try Cunard, they have 'em and more! I would not be surprised to see HAL drop the ratio of formals in the future.

I'll be wearing a simple tux with matching formal slippers/thongs on all four nights but it's nice to have an alternative in the HAL casual Lido/room service if you change your mind and don't feel like dressing up. For that reason, I'm also packing my rappel harness, D-ring, carabiner and 100' of nylon rope;))

I'll be wearing a simple tux with matching formal slippers/thongs on all four nights but it's nice to have an alternative in the HAL casual Lido/room service if you change your mind and don't feel like dressing up.

John, I think you mean "formal slippers/flip-flops" rather than "thongs" LOL!!! :eek: My DH does the same thing, and I always correct him - most of the time, girls wear "thongs" these days...

John, I think you mean "formal slippers/flip-flops" rather than "thongs" LOL!!! :eek: My DH does the same thing, and I always correct him - most of the time, girls wear "thongs" these days...

Much obliged Laura;) but they are also still called 'thongs' (the ones you wear on your feet, not the dental floss thingies) on the beaches of So Cal:)

Much obliged Laura;) but they are also still called 'thongs' (the ones you wear on your feet, not the dental floss thingies) on the beaches of So Cal:)

I know! Even DH still calls them that, but DD says she is "grossed out" by that! :eek:

Randy - Your Mrs. is lovely. Is she wearing a dress or is it 2-pieces?

It's two pieces and she's picked up two or three tops she can switch out over the cruise. She has a couple of other formals and when we've had three formal nights she'll take one of those for the middle formal and wear the different tops the first and third nights. I'm sure she'll figure out something for four nights without a problem. For me it's easy, one tux and the white dinner jacket. Throw in two or three cummerbunds and ties and I have a good variety.

I'll be wearing a simple tux with matching formal slippers/thongs on all four nights

I admit it's been several years since I've shopped for men's apparel so I'm not familiar with the new undergarment fashions. I really must wander through that department soon so I can check out these formal thongs for men. :D

Diane

It's two pieces and she's picked up two or three tops she can switch out over the cruise. She has a couple of other formals and when we've had three formal nights she'll take one of those for the middle formal and wear the different tops the first and third nights. I'm sure she'll figure out something for four nights without a problem. For me it's easy, one tux and the white dinner jacket. Throw in two or three cummerbunds and ties and I have a good variety.

I also try and "mix and match"... DH has gotten to the point were he prefers the vest vs. cummerbund, but I still love seeing him in the traditional cummerbund. I'm still trying to find the lovely cummerbund/tie S7S's DH wears with his white dinner jacket.... (the white dinner jacket is a wonderful look for all men, IMO!).

I think it should depend on your locations and length of cruise as to how many formal nights. On our 26 day Amazon Float we had way toooooo many (I think it was 8). When on the Amazon River on the Prinsendam last year the MDR was very very warm (even the cold water in the shower was very hot) yet we had a formal night. The ladies have their fancy wear that is often sleeveless yet the men are suppose to wear a long sleeve shirt, closed at the neck with a tie and with a jacket - way tooo warm for that in my opinion. Have any of you ladies worn a closed neck blouse and tie in 90 degree temps - not fun:mad:.

I feel on the longer cruises (we are doing 33 days in Jan to South Pacific) that 1 per week is plenty and they should be only on Sea Days. I really don't feel like getting dressed up after touring all day in the hot sun.

If they schedule formal nights during our days in port in the South Pacific we will be hitting the Lido in very casual wear.

Just my 2 cents.

I admit it's been several years since I've shopped for men's apparel so I'm not familiar with the new undergarment fashions. I really must wander through that department soon so I can check out these formal thongs for men. :D

Diane

Girl....................you don't know what you're missing!;)

Archived