Is 4 formal nights in 14 days overkill?

bonsat

now don't get me wrong. my husband and i love to get dressed up. we even look for an excuse to wear the fancy dress and tux. but 4 times in 2 weeks seems a bit (actually a lot) excessive and redundant. though we will bring enough clothing to wear for all 4 formal nights, i doubt we will use them. by the third or fourth night i predict we will wear smart casual and dine at the lido. how about you?

We're with you. Formal night doesn't appeal to us one little bit. In fact, on our last cruise, we ate all our meals either in the Lido or room service (on our balcony) except for two smart casual nights in the MDR. We're booked on our first 14 night cruise (HAL Amsterdam to Alaska) next May 31st, and we intend to skip formal night all together - no interest.

If they had fixed seating no, but on our HAL cruise I took enough for 4 formal nights and found the AYW dining to be slow and lacking in the service which we experienced in fixed ding on several lines. We ate in the Lido most nights and had the best barman on the ship. Told us where each other were sitting if we lost sight of the other, when people he had seen us talking to around the pool came in or were sitting in case we wanted to join them for dinner and usually had our regular beverage at the table by the time we sat down. Only crew I tipped extra, and I wasn't alone.:)

Personally, 4 Formal Nights on a 14 Day cruise is about 6 Formal Nights too few! :D No ... I'm kidding. 4 Nights out of 14 is exactly in-line with 2 Formal Nights on a 7 day cruise and 3 on a 10 Day cruise. That being said, we're only have 4 Formal Nights on my upcoming 18 Day Western Med and Transatlantic crossing. I would like there to be 5 or 6 ... but, if we're going to have more than 4 I guess I am my group will have to create them ourselves. An evening in the Pinnacle is always a good occasion to dress up a bit more beyond the Smart Casual standard. ;)

Unfortunately (IMO), I think formal nights are pretty much gone anyway, at least in the format they were originally intended. On our last cruise (Maasdam), I observed a total of 3 tuxs over the course of a formal night. I suspect the tradition was on its way-out anyway, and that new airline baggage charges have furthered the damage.

I like formal nights as we never dress up at home. Here, Tucson casual is the byword. I usually take just two formal outfits( a fancy dress and a top and black skirt with the same black heels) and DH has one dark suit. He doesn't particularly like to get into a suit but I think four days will not kill him.

Barbara

now don't get me wrong. my husband and i love to get dressed up. we even look for an excuse to wear the fancy dress and tux. but 4 times in 2 weeks seems a bit (actually a lot) excessive and redundant. though we will bring enough clothing to wear for all 4 formal nights, i doubt we will use them. by the third or fourth night i predict we will wear smart casual and dine at the lido. how about you?

We will be doing all 4 Formal nights and all other nights in the Main Dining Room.

We seldom use the Lido because we are either using Room Service or the MDR. I think the only time we used it on either of our cruises was Embarkation day and grabbing a cookie while passing through to and from the aft Lido deck area.

Joanie

Personally, 4 Formal Nights on a 14 Day cruise is about 6 Formal Nights too few! :D No ... I'm kidding. 4 Nights out of 14 is exactly in-line with 2 Formal Nights on a 7 day cruise and 3 on a 10 Day cruise. That being said, we're only have 4 Formal Nights on my upcoming 18 Day Western Med and Transatlantic crossing. I would like there to be 5 or 6 ... but, if we're going to have more than 4 I guess I am my group will have to create them ourselves. An evening in the Pinnacle is always a good occasion to dress up a bit more beyond the Smart Casual standard. ;)

Rev,

Just guessing here, but you probably don't have to have a separate suit, underwear, shoes and jewelry for each formal night. You probably don't have to have to get your hair done, or your nails. So, for you, a formal night means What? A clean collar?:D

Rev,

Just guessing here, but you probably don't have to have a separate suit, underwear, shoes and jewelry for each formal night. You probably don't have to have to get your hair done, or your nails. So, for you, a formal night means What? A clean collar?:D

Let's see ...

Granted, all I need is a black suite, clerical vest, collar, white long-sleve neckband shirt with cufflinks and collar buttons, black dress shoes, black socks, undershirt and undershorts, watch, belt. I also have to shower, shave, clean my nails, and make sure my hair is presentable. All of these are FAR easier than what a woman feels as though she must do to be prepared for Formal Night.

HOWEVER ... I don't always do formal nights dressed in just a black suit and clericals. I usually try to mix things around so that I'm wearing something different on each formal night. For instance, sometimes I wear:

Black Tux with Notch lapels

or

Black Tux with shawl collar

or

White dinner jacket with black tux pants

All the above are worn with white tux shirt, bow tie, and either cummerbund or vest in either black or some other color set (i.e., blue, red, cream, silver). Oh ... and undershirt, undershorts, socks, black dress shoes, shirt studs, cufflinks, belt or suspenders, watch.

OR, if I want to look formal but also clerical, I can and often do wear:

Black nehru with black clergy vest, white neckband shirt (hidden under the vest), tux pants, black shoes, undershirt and shorts and socks, cuff links, collar buttons, watch.

In short ... while, in theory it may be simple for me, in reality -- because I desire it -- I have many different formal night looks. I usually try to wear a different one on each formal Night. This is what I'll be doing on my 18-day cruise on the Rotterdam beginning next week. :)

Rev,

Unless doing or sending out laundry onboard, I prefer separate underwear for all nights.

What? No Spanx?;)

Seriously, I believe that you may be one of the best dressed gentlemen on board.

Not when Brian's aboard. :D Now THERE's a sharp dressed gentleman. A different sport jacket for every smart-casual night, and a different Tuxedo (not just different tuxedo elements) for every formal night. Yikes!!! :eek:

I like formal nights as we never dress up at home. Here, Tucson casual is the byword. I usually take just two formal outfits( a fancy dress and a top and black skirt with the same black heels) and DH has one dark suit. He doesn't particularly like to get into a suit but I think four days will not kill him.

Barbara

I agree. California is also country casual. And it is really nice to dress up. My husband doesn't have a tux, but he wears a nice black suit. And I have 2 long dresses that I have gotten lots of miles out of. And I found two top outfits that will look great with black slacks in the special occasions department that will work very well for the other two formal night.

Not enough formal nights, in my opinion. :)

I agree. I like formal nights, dressing up. IMO, it's good for the character to put forth the effort to do this. I am retired and never dress up - no fancy restaurants or special events, don't go to church -- it's jeans and t-shirts amost all the time. Easy to get lazy and sloppy (don't flame, I'm talking about ME, but I bet others agree &/ understand). Taking the time to "updo" my hair, apply my makeup more carefully, choose a necklace and earrings, etc., and making the effort is actually uplifting and joyful for me - and everyone I've met who's also dressed up is pleasant, cheerful and more sociable -- more "civil", if I may. I love seeing my adult sons in their dark suits - they like it, too, and always look for the opportunity to get a family portrait taken.

I hate to think of the possibility HAL will go the way of the (IMO) lesser cruise lines and do away with formal nights -- they've already reduced standards.

Not when Brian's aboard. :D Now THERE's a sharp dressed gentleman. A different sport jacket for every smart-casual night, and a different Tuxedo (not just different tuxedo elements) for every formal night. Yikes!!! :eek:

You both look sharp when dressed up! And I have the pictures to prove it! :D

Archived