Travel time from LAX to San Pedro Port?

ERNLYN

Trying to determine the correct flight back from prt to LAX does anyone know how load the drive would be on a Sunday morning?

It's 20 miles from the port in San Pedro (about 25 from the Carnival pier in Long Beach) to LAX...On a Sunday Morning there is typically little traffic (though you never know) so it should not take more than about a half an hour (40 minutes from Long Beach)...

But, because you can never tell when an accident or construction or some unexpected event may cause delays, always figure on about an hour...Also remember to figure in time for retrieving your luggage, passing through customs, etc.

Then, also think about how you're getting to LAX...if it's a shuttle, you may waste time waiting for a full load...a taxi or limo will get you out quicker...

I usually recommend a flight of NOON or later...though, if necessary, it's possible to make a flight as early as 11:00 by rolling your own luggage off, getting off with the first group and taking a taxi to LAX...But Noon and later is safe and you will have less anxiety...

Plus, you can be on the sailing that customs and immigrations does the full look see on. So just because you dock at 7 or so, it doesn't mean that's when you'll be able to get off the ship. Among the disembarkation process, any potential traffic jams on the 405 (construction, accidents, etc.) and security lines at LAX...that's why we recommend booking flights for noon or after.

You must also give yourself at least 45min or more to get through security at LAX, because the line just to check your luggage in can be at least a half hr, and then possibly another 20-30 min to get up the escalator and through the security.

Just our experience- in March 09, we got off the NCL Star, (Saturday) priority disembark, carried our luggage off, we were off the ship and in a taxi to LAX about 8:35am, we were checked in and at the gate at LAX at 9:15am. Our flight departed at 11:30am. I was a little concerned about the 11:30am flight, but getting off the ship as soon as possible did help, we only waited in line for a taxi about 3 minutes, but I have read the later you get off the ship the longer wait for a taxi. The shuttles I think wait until they fill up before departing for the airport. Of course, anything can happen.

We just got off the Star this morning at 9:00am. We had a 12:15 flight, and people had me nervous that we would be pushing it. We were at the airport before 10a with more time than I like to spend at the airport.

I had prepaid for Execu car to pick us up. NO SHOW. They claim I cancelled two days ago.(Just another reason why I hate to pre-pay)

Bella

Plus' date=' you can be on the sailing that customs and immigrations does the full look see on. So just because you dock at 7 or so, it doesn't mean that's when you'll be able to get off the ship. [/quote']

So true.

From what I understand, every 4-6 weeks or so, Customs & Immigration checks ALL employees before allowing passengers to disembark and it only takes one person not showing up on time to delay the process.

That happened on one of our cruises.

Our friends had a 1pm flight which shouldn't have been an issue. But the ship wasn't cleared until 10:30! By that time, the lines were crazy! It finally dawned on me...I was in no hurry to disembark so I let them use my Platinum priority status to get them to the front of the line and I just waited on the ship and didn't get off the ship until after noon (and this was using self-assist luggage).

So, I would always plan for the worst. You never know what could come up. Better to be too early to the airport, then be too late.

So true.

From what I understand, every 4-6 weeks or so, Customs & Immigration checks ALL employees before allowing passengers to disembark and it only takes one person not showing up on time to delay the process.

That happened on one of our cruises.

Our friends had a 1pm flight which shouldn't have been an issue. But the ship wasn't cleared until 10:30! By that time, the lines were crazy! It finally dawned on me...I was in no hurry to disembark so I let them use my Platinum priority status to get them to the front of the line and I just waited on the ship and didn't get off the ship until after noon (and this was using self-assist luggage).

So, I would always plan for the worst. You never know what could come up. Better to be too early to the airport, then be too late.

It would be nice if more people did this. We haven't had a situation that we were going to catch a plane or train the day we were disembarking. So we don't try to get ahead of others and just leave when our color is called. On CC, every once in a while, I see a post in which someone wants to be the first off the ship so they can go to an amusement park or something like this. I don't consider that a high priority, IMO.

The cruises that acquaintances as well as me have taken disembarked quickly and I recall everyone was "streetside" by 9am or earlier. However a cousin took a Disney cruise. The encountered the special ICE inspection of the crew and were not on the road until 10:30.

From OP's wording they may be renting a car....if so be sure to allow time to pick-up and drop-off at LAX including the courtesy shuttle from the remote lot to the terminal.

At LAX, Sundays are usually pretty calm but security waits can vary by terminal. There's an area of www.flightstats.com that shows typical security waits. It's a great tool, it shows times based on airport, terminal, day of the week, and time of day. Of course they are typical times.

Archived