NCL says I still owe after final payment?

tdcjerry

After making my final payment to NCL for my Jan. cruise on the NCL web site, I did a printout that has a $000 balance due, today I get a call from NCL that I still owe $250 ?? It seems that over 8 months ago when I booked this cruise, cruise rewards gave me someone elses? cruise reward.( I did not know they gave it to me) NCL gave it back to who it belonged but never added it back to my balance, so I payed the balance due.

Should I just pay the $250 since it was never mine to start with?? or should I start a fight and say it was not my mistake why should I pay for it. My talk with a NCL supervisor ended with it's not my fault you need to pay it, I it's cruise rewards fault and she will talk to them tomorrow and call me back. I have the NCL corporate # ready to go if needed, I hope I will not need to. What does Cruise Critic think I should do??

Last: I will be spending about 20K on cruising with NCL the next 12 months and for them to forgive their mistake should not be this big of a deal, It is not a big deal to me I just don't like to be surprised like this.

I can completely understand why you would feel like you shouldn't have to pay it. However mistakes are made. I would probably pay it, but agree with maybe getting a bottle of wine, a dinner at Cagneys.. etc. Not that it is "required", but just as a good will act on NCL's part.

Good thing they called you now and not hit you with it at the port. I will be interested in what they have to say after they 'talk' to the supervisor. I understood that you had to request your cruise rewards to be used, that it wasn't automatic so it's hard to see how they made the mistake.

Good thing they called you now and not hit you with it at the port. I will be interested in what they have to say after they 'talk' to the supervisor. I understood that you had to request your cruise rewards to be used, that it wasn't automatic so it's hard to see how they made the mistake.

On our last cruise we had the Garden Villa with two other couples, we had two Linda's, when one Linda did the future cruise deal they gave the credit to the wrong Linda, my DW, so when we booked this cruise they gave us the $250 credit.

Yes some wine or dinner would be nice, or add to the OBC and call it a wash.

The NCL website still says $00 balance

An apology for making the mistake might be nice, and would be good customer service. But to get upset over not getting one when there was no harm done to you to begin with seems rather petty to me and like your looking for an excuse to escalate this to try to get that something for nothing.

The bank isn't going to apologize, give you a free dinner, or a bottle of wine when they take back anything accidentally deposited in your account.

I don't see that there was any harm. You owed the money to begin with, and now you're complaining because you still owe it. I even have a suspicion that somewhere along the line you suspected there was a mistake.

Either when you bought the $250 credit and the certificate read $500, or when you went to use it for $250 and were credited with $500. Almost seems to me by your responses that your real focus is to get something because you're really embarrassed that you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar and didn't like the feeling. So you want NCL to apologize because you didn't get away with something you suspected was incorrect in the first place.

If I'm wrong, then I apologize, but I'm betting if we dug up Ann Landers, she would have been more to the point. LOL.

Where did you think that extra $250 came from? Maybe the upsell fairy has a sister? Not likely. Surely there's only one place for that $250 cruise credit to go, the one who bought it. Unfortunately you still owe $250. IMHO.

Should I just pay the $250 since it was never mine to start with?? or should I start a fight and say it was not my mistake why should I pay for it. My talk with a NCL supervisor ended with it's not my fault you need to pay it, I it's cruise rewards fault and she will talk to them tomorrow and call me back. I have the NCL corporate # ready to go if needed, I hope I will not need to. What does Cruise Critic think I should do??

Last: I will be spending about 20K on cruising with NCL the next 12 months and for them to forgive their mistake should not be this big of a deal, It is not a big deal to me I just don't like to be surprised like this.

You have to ask total strangers what to do? You know what to do. I guess you wanted to be talked into doing the opposite? Pay the money and forget it.

What I don't understand is how you missed this yourself.

When I book a cruise I check carefully the price I am expected to pay and all my actual payments to make sure they add up.

I would have noticed I was $250 short in what I paid.

If the web site has not been updated it is probably because if they take the $250 off the system will cancell your cruise if you don't pay in a couple of days now you are in final. They are asking for the payment manualy and will then adjust the payment on your booking.

What I would ask is how the cruise reward got applied in the first place without you knowing. Who did you book with direct with NCL, NCL PCC or a TA?

What I don't understand is how you missed this yourself.

When I book a cruise I check carefully the price I am expected to pay and all my actual payments to make sure they add up.

I would have noticed I was $250 short in what I paid.

If the web site has not been updated it is probably because if they take the $250 off the system will cancell your cruise if you don't pay in a couple of days now you are in final. They are asking for the payment manualy and will then adjust the payment on your booking.

What I would ask is how the cruise reward got applied in the first place without you knowing. Who did you book with direct with NCL, NCL PCC or a TA?

I changed cabins two weeks after first booking and got new docs. they did not show any $250 on it just a balance, but it did show a free upgrade from a BD to a BC I have since upgraded to a AE and had to leave a $800 deposit,still no $250 on it. I think changing cabins a couple of times was a little to much to keep track of.

I changed cabins two weeks after first booking and got new docs. they did not show any $250 on it just a balance, but it did show a free upgrade from a BD to a BC I have since upgraded to a AE and had to leave a $800 deposit,still no $250 on it. I think changing cabins a couple of times was a little to much to keep track of.

Each change you must have know what the new cost would be.

I don't think docs show payment history mine have

ballance due

payments applied(I always check this one is correct)

Talk to you PCC they are probably the one that used the reward on you booking.

FWIW, I have a tough time figuring out the breakdown on NCL's invoices. They list all the discount (PROMO) codes at the top, but don't break out the actual discount amounts. There is Guest Fare, NCF (on the agent copy) and Government Taxes/Fees, but no where do they list the discount amounts, they are apparently just deducted from the Guest Fare. My current invoice has 3 different codes. :confused:

I defend you - My first (and upcoming) NCL cruise we went from deck 5 to deck 11 and from 2 in a cabin to 3 and then back to 2. The prices kept changing each time we changed and sometimes there was no rhyme or reason to what they were charging. We were going through a TA and booked with a group with set prices. The third person went from $99 to $.01 (go figure) and I questioned it constantly because I didn’t want any surprise balances due when we went to board. Then taking the total cabin cost and dividing into 2 then 3 then back to 2 made for many ways a balance could be wrong with just a finger error. I tried to find out their reasoning from charging us only one cent for the third person in the cabin but gave up when I got no response and NCL didnt seem worried about it. Wish the 3rd person in the room didn’t cancel directly and we just changed her name to another cruiser so we could have kept that great price because now they want to add $299 to add another 3rd person back in the cabin?????? Aye yi yi. I gave up.

Bottom line is you do owe it. You have the option to pay it or cancel the cruise and or book elsewhere. You tried to see if NCL would accommodate for the error and the answer was no. SO -Final answer.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

I defend you - My first (and upcoming) NCL cruise we went from deck 5 to deck 11 and from 2 in a cabin to 3 and then back to 2. The prices kept changing each time we changed and sometimes there was no rhyme or reason to what they were charging. We were going through a TA and booked with a group with set prices. The third person went from $99 to $.01 (go figure) and I questioned it constantly because I didn’t want any surprise balances due when we went to board. Then taking the total cabin cost and dividing into 2 then 3 then back to 2 made for many ways a balance could be wrong with just a finger error. I tried to find out their reasoning from charging us only one cent for the third person in the cabin but gave up when I got no response and NCL didnt seem worried about it. Wish the 3rd person in the room didn’t cancel directly and we just changed her name to another cruiser so we could have kept that great price because now they want to add $299 to add another 3rd person back in the cabin?????? Aye yi yi. I gave up.

Bottom line is you do owe it. You have the option to pay it or cancel the cruise and or book elsewhere. You tried to see if NCL would accommodate for the error and the answer was no. SO -Final answer.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

thank you for that answer

sjbdtz

My first set of Docs. went to the save box on my computer, when I changed cabins, out went the old in with the new, never looked at it, so i'm the bad guy.

I'd probably register a well-thoughout complaint via letter to Guest Services - and pay the balance due.

It was never yours anyway......

In addition, they have the ability to cancel your cruise or not let you board at the pier if there is a balance due.

Mistakes happen.....and you are out nothing.

It wouldn't be worth the aggravation to me...especially when it probably wouldn't get me anything anyway

thank you for that answer

sjbdtz

My first set of Docs. went to the save box on my computer, when I changed cabins, out went the old in with the new, never looked at it, so i'm the bad guy.

Jerry

You should always check your confirmation whenever making changes to your reservation. Anybody can make a mistake.

Enjoy

Archived