Can I really be sure I won't get motion sickness even if I am prepared?

computerkitten

So planning to go at end of November on Miracle for a Southern Cruise and planning to bring the patch (only use in case I really need it...read about possible effects), Bonine, ginger tablets, Gingerale. So if I have all this and start taking ginger ahead of time... can I be pretty sure I will not get motion sick or are there others out there that do all of this and end up getting motion sickness? Have I forgot anything? I did get sick on a dinner cruise boat just off of Mauai. It was a small boat of course.

A friend of mine just got back from a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and I don't know what one as I just talked to their friend but they said that they told them they were sick the whole time and it was rough seas. Anyways...thus my questioning of my own vacation.

So looking forward to the trip though!

CK

Good luck! Last April we cruised and I was very nervous about getting sick as I have in the past. I am an all natural kind of person so the idea of bonine or the patches wasn't for me. I started the ginger pills the day before we left and wore the Sea Bands bracelets before we got on the plane. I felt fine when I was cruising and was getting tired of the tan lines from the bracelets so when we were in Cozumel I took them off. When we got back on the boat, it didn't even occur to me to put them back on since I was feeling so great. Needless to say, I was majorly sick about 2 hours later. My advice-those bracelets work, get them, and keep them on! Once I put them back on and started taking bonine, I was feeling better by the next morning. That one night was absolutely miserable though!

I just got back from the Splendor cruise & Hurrican Rick. I took Ginger Root the day before and each day of the cruise. I did not have a problem, I was actually so impressed with how well they made me feel. Don't let this worry you and have a good cruise.

Go to your family MD ask for a prescription for Meclazine (the OTC is Bonine)

Depending on your insurance, it is much cheaper to go this way

Start taking them the day before you leave, take them 3-4 times a day depending on how you are feeling. I take 3, Jeff 4 (he gets seasick in a bathtub:p) Never have gotten sick even in rough seas.

I also sometimes take them for one or two days after returning to help with the sea legs

Have fun and enjoy

The last 4 cruises I have been on I started by taking dramamine and then asked at the front desk of Carnival for their sea sick pills. Those work the BEST!! We would take one in the morning and then about 10 hours later take another ..... we took them for the whole cruise. Never had any troubles and they didn't make me feel funny. A friend of mine had the patch and she got sick because it was too strong..so you may want to cut it in half as she did that and then was ok.

I wore the patch the whole time I was on the Glory. I also had ginger pills which I took daily just to be safe. I became queasy a couple times but I have experienced much worse motion sickness in the past. I was determined to enjoy my cruise and I did. When I felt ill I took it in stride and got some fresh air which generally helped that and a little chamomile tea. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Hope they work for you, I really feel like its the way to go! Plus being all natural you don't have to worry about drowziness or the effects of mixing it will alcohol (if you drink!) Have a great cruise!

I agree! This is the way to go!

Also op if you do decide to bring other meds (prescriptions) I don't recommend taking them just in case you get sick.......only when you are sick........I have known people who became really sick from the side effects they would have been better off being sea sick......

Even though Bonine/meclizine (usually what they cary on ships) is OTC it's still a drug. I'd ask your doctor if you can wear the patch and take Bonine at the same time.

I tend to get motion sick alot--in a car, train, small boat, some carnival/theme park rides, IMAX theaters--but NEVER (so far - knock on wood) on a cruise ship. I do feel "funny" the first day or two, but I take Bonine before the cruise and then during the first 2 days. After that only if I start to feel "funny" again.

I agree with CB there are no guarantees in life.

Do you ever experience motion sickness in cars? Do certain amusement park rides affect you while others don't (whirling teacup vs herky-jerky roller coasters)?

Cantwait is right! Get the sea bands and wear them. I keep mine on almost 24/7. I discovered these a couple years ago and will never cruise without them again. Sometimes I think they look a little silly but I don't care. They help!!! If I don't wear them, I always get sick at night. Hope they help you as much as they have helped me. :D

I first got sea sick on a glass bottom boat as a child in Hawaii. My first cruise I was a lot older and too bonine for the first two days. I stopped taking it and did great for the nest few days. So I thought I was over it. well the ship turned around and started going against the tide and I was sicker than a dog. Over the railing sick. Couldn't even make it to a bathroom. I had the dry heaves for hours until I could get enough bonine down to stop it. Didn't know about the infirmary then. So now I take it twice a day and have still gotten sick but not as bad. Won't stop me though as I love cruising. I even take it now when I do helicopter tours.

i've read dozens of these sea sick posts. bottom line, if you get on any ship and you're worried about sea sickness, chances are you will be sea sick. if you get it out of your mind and dont think about it, chances are you wont get sea sick. 90% of sea sickness is all in your mind. my 1st time fishing in the gulf, all i thought about was sea sickness. and guess what. sick as a dog. 2d time out, i was feeling the same way, but i made up my mind i was not going to be sick all day again. and guess what. fished all day. these are 50' boats im talking about. riding the swells all day. all i'm saying is that you can will yourself to get sick, or will yourself not to get sick. it's all in your mind.

i've read dozens of these sea sick posts. bottom line, if you get on any ship and you're worried about sea sickness, chances are you will be sea sick. if you get it out of your mind and dont think about it, chances are you wont get sea sick. 90% of sea sickness is all in your mind. my 1st time fishing in the gulf, all i thought about was sea sickness. and guess what. sick as a dog. 2d time out, i was feeling the same way, but i made up my mind i was not going to be sick all day again. and guess what. fished all day. these are 50' boats im talking about. riding the swells all day. all i'm saying is that you can will yourself to get sick, or will yourself not to get sick. it's all in your mind.

Original OP

Take what this person says seriously. I believe he's right. It doesn't hurt to be prepared but the mind over matter thing really works for me. My experience is that when the ship first starts moving is the most I feel sick. Once you get out into the ocean a little further and the activities begin you forget about the motion. You will feel like you're in a hotel not a ship. If the sea gets a little rough you may need to take something. That's ok...

I think you will be fine. I wish you a safe and happy vacation. Let us know when you return how you did.:)

Go to your family MD ask for a prescription for Meclazine (the OTC is Bonine)

You can buy meclizine over the counter now. I got it at my Safeway right before our cruise, just in case. Brand names include Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, and Dramamine.

I so agree some of it's in your mind and DON"T STARE AT THE HORIZON for long periods of time, this from some one who is not good with motion, however I have found taking ginger tablets at least two weeks before (as you need to get the ginger into your bloodstream to be effective) the tabs work as I haven't had to resort to Bonine or patches and have been fine to the extent that I don't feel the phantom rocking that others do after the trip ends.

We gave up on trying to convince my in-laws to cruise for this reason. They are so worried about sea-sickness that I don't think it will be possible for them to enjoy themselves, no matter what we tell them.

I get motion sickness while driving sometimes, believe it or not, and nearly always as a passenger, on rides, boating, etc. But I never thought twice about cruising. Take a Bonamine every night before bed (so no drowsiness issue) and have felt fantastic on all cruises - I especially love to feel the motion!

OP, it sounds like you are well prepared. Just go with the expectation that you'll be great, and if you're not, you know you can handle it quickly.

i was one of the fearful as well..worrying about getting sea-sickness..

i did a alot of reading about it..what to do, how to avoid it..in the end

i really was confident i could escape it..

as it was..the ship was like a city and rarely did i ever feel like we were surround by water.:D

Wow thanks for all the advice! I ended up picking up the patch tonight just to have it to take along. And 4 boxes of Bonine! Now I need to go find the ginger root.

Hey can I be on ginger while also taking Bonine? I assume so! I could start taking the ginger ahead of time... and how much ginger do you take?

Thanks much!

CK

Archived