Istanbul private tour guide

On our first visit to Istanbul we did the ship's tour of the major sites ... Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi palace. So for our second trip we wanted something different. We had long email discussions with Kagan Kosagan http://tourguidesinturkey.com/ and worked out a wonderful private tour exactly to our specifications. He did a wonderful job taking us to out of the way places and even found a delightful restaurant for our lunch. We would recommend him very highly.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks both of you for the info.

If anyone else has used anyone, it would be great to hear.

I will email for Nejat's email address later on, since it's been bleeped out. I'm sure if I google his name, it will come up. I thought he only did Ephesus.

Linda

I will email for Nejat's email address later on, since it's been bleeped out. I'm sure if I google his name, it will come up. I thought he only did Ephesus.

Linda

Several of the guides/agencies that offer tours out of Kusadasi (Ephesus) also do them in Istanbul. I know Ekol does also.

Istanbul is quite easy to do on your own as well, unless you really feel you need a guide.

I know Levent Solmaz also does Istanbul, but he's out of town right now with an ill family member, and hasn't gotten back to me on a price. It's actually for my parents. I've done Istanbul and loved it. They would feel more comfortable with a guide.

Linda

Linda

We used EKOL, there were reliable and I would say our guide in Istanbul was a B+ and the one in Ephesus was A. Of course who you get and how they relate to you can make or break the experience. They were reliable took us everywhere we wanted, and when we wanted to change our plans in both ports the guides were easy going and did as I asked. I would use them again in Kusdasi, but after seeing Istanbul I'd consider DIY as its really an easy city to get around.

On our first visit to Istanbul we did the ship's tour of the major sites ... Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi palace. So for our second trip we wanted something different. We had long email discussions with Kagan Kosagan http://tourguidesinturkey.com/ and worked out a wonderful private tour exactly to our specifications. He did a wonderful job taking us to out of the way places and even found a delightful restaurant for our lunch. We would recommend him very highly.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We used Kagan's wife - Lale last month for our Istanbul tour. Kagan was already booked. She was wonderful and very knowledegeable about Istanbul. Lale is very flexible and was able to arrange for a Turkish Bath and a visit to the Spice market on the day of the tour. The bus was very nice and spacious. I highly recommend her for your tour. You can reach her by contacting Kagan with the link MercedMike has provided above. Good luck!!

We used Kagan's wife - Lale last month for our Istanbul tour. Kagan was already booked. She was wonderful and very knowledegeable about Istanbul. Lale is very flexible and was able to arrange for a Turkish Bath and a visit to the Spice market on the day of the tour. The bus was very nice and spacious. I highly recommend her for your tour. You can reach her by contacting Kagan with the link MercedMike has provided above. Good luck!!

We used Lale for two days during our 2006 visit to Istanbul at the end of our cruise in the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast. She was super great. It worked out EXTREMELY WELL for us!!! Yes, you can do Istanbul on your own. BUT, if you do that visit with a very skilled guide, it makes a hugely positive difference. You can read a book and walk around. That's OK, but it's not the maximum experience to really understand ALL that is there in that large, charming and historic city. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a trip and then try to save a few hundred by walking around on your own. In a city such as Istanbul, that's not good economics. Having an excellent guide was a great investment for us. It was well worth it!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The tours on the ship's shore excursions cost $200+ for a half or full day, depending on the tour. Do any of the private guides mentioned take 8-10 people who would share the cost of the tour, making it more affordable? We could organize a group on our Roll Call site. Since this is our first trip to Istanbul, we would just want to enjoy the basics: Blue Mosque, Sofia and Topkapi palace. We are good walkers. Would it be quite easy to walk to these sights on our own or take the tram from the cruise pier? Is it safe to walk independently on this route?

Since this is our first trip to Istanbul, we would just want to enjoy the basics: Blue Mosque, Sofia and Topkapi palace. We are good walkers. Would it be quite easy to walk to these sights on our own or take the tram from the cruise pier? Is it safe to walk independently on this route?

Nothing could be easier than taking the tram to the old city (Sultanahmet stop on the tram); from there you are within close, easy walking distance of all 3 sites you mention. And it's very safe. I stayed in Istanbul on my own for several days last April and was out walking solo in this area at night up to 11pm or thereabouts with no problem whatsoever.

Istanbul has very little violent crime; the only thing you will need to be vigilant about (as in all of the bigger Med ports) is pickpocketing, particularly on the tram.

If you decide to DIY, I suggest you read Rick Steves' Istanbul guide book, which gives a lot of valuable information for doing things on your own, including descriptions/self-tours through all the sights you mention.

Yes, you can do Istanbul on your own. BUT, if you do that visit with a very skilled guide, it makes a hugely positive difference. You can read a book and walk around. That's OK, but it's not the maximum experience to really understand ALL that is there in that large, charming and historic city. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a trip and then try to save a few hundred by walking around on your own. In a city such as Istanbul, that's not good economics. Having an excellent guide was a great investment for us. It was well worth it!

Terry, I am not meaning to just single you out, but I don't understand why it is necessary on this board to constantly tell others that private tours are the only way to go and that doing things on your own is not "the maximum experience". I also do not appreciate the inferences on this board that those of us who DIY are somehow doing it on the cheap just to save money. THAT'S NOT THE CASE AT ALL.

I fully realize that DIY isn't for everyone. I will promote it (because I enjoy it and realize it's fully possible to have a great experience) but I don't go around telling others it's the ONLY way to go.....

I have done both a guided tour of Istanbul and have done Istanbul on my own. For ME there was no comparison. I like to wander on my own. I like to spend time contemplating a particular room/view/piece of art without having someone tell me all the minutiae about it that I already know because I've done my research in advance. I'm perfectly capable of finding my own restaurant for lunch without needing assistance from a guide to find an "out of the way" place.

Have you done Istanbul both ways? If not, I don't see how you can tell others that a tour is better. Anyone can return from a cruise and tell others that their private tour was wonderful. But unless you can actually compare it with another type of experience, it's impossible to decide that it was MORE wonderful than anything else could possibly be.

FWIW, I have also done London, Rome, Paris, Florence etc. both ways -- much prefer DIY. My son and I just spent two weeks in Japan where we were totally on our own and had a wonderful experience.

Same goes for Kusadasi: I took a private tour (just me and a guide), so I was completely in charge of the itinerary time spent, etc. Guess what? Other than the transportation (which was smooth and well done), I would've still preferred to do the sites we saw -- Priene, Didyma, Miletus -- on my own. Much of the time I WAS on my own, as my guide (being a good guide) realized that I already knew most of the info he was spouting and he just let me wander by myself.....;))

In fact, the only place I can think of where a guide actually ENHANCED my experience was in Egypt. And that was not because he imparted so much knowledge that was new to me (he didn't; I've been reading books on ancient Egypt since before the age of 10), but because he was able to better keep at bay the hordes of shills at all the sites. I actually had a couple of days in Cairo at the end of my tour on my own, though, and I have to say that I got more out of visiting the Egyptian Museum on my own, with a good book that described almost every piece to be found therein, than I did in a quick 2 hour overview, which was about as much as the rest of the group wanted.

DIY is not for everyone. You need to be relatively fit, comfortable in different environments, know how to read a map, and be willing to put in the time to research your day in advance. But private tours are not for everyone, either!

So please, when you talk about private tours, feel free to tell others how great YOU find them, but leave it at that.

:o Sorry, will get off my soapbox now.

Terry, I am not meaning to just single you out, but I don't understand why it is necessary on this board to constantly tell others that private tours are the only way to go and that doing things on your own is not "the maximum experience". I also do not appreciate the inferences on this board that those of us who DIY are somehow doing it on the cheap just to save money. THAT'S NOT THE CASE AT ALL. Sorry, will get off my soapbox now.

Since Cynthia got on her "soapbox", I will exercise my "free speech" rights to reply. I did NOT say or even imply that a guided tour was the "only" way to go. I said how it worked so well for us, with our personal interests and needs, to see so much in a large, complex city such as Istanbul. I have traveled in twenty different countries in Europe. We have done lots and lots of DIY travel, multiple times, in the major cities all over Europe. I have done over 2300 questions on a major travel board about France. You can do the "basics" fine in Istanbul on your own. It's just an option to consider if you seek more in the "depth" of an experience. AND, also, it only works if you have a very good guide who can match and fit your personal needs. Not all guides are great or fitting your needs. Whether DIY or with a guide, doing your advance research and prep is important to understand fully all that you are seeing and experiences. It's a personal choice to consider.

Since Cynthia got on her "soapbox", I will exercise my "free speech" rights to reply. I did NOT say or even imply that a guided tour was the "only" way to go. I said how it worked so well for us, with our personal interests and needs, to see so much in a large, complex city such as Istanbul. I have traveled in twenty different countries in Europe. We have done lots and lots of DIY travel, multiple times, in the major cities all over Europe. I have done over 2300 questions on a major travel board about France. You can do the "basics" fine in Istanbul on your own. It's just an option to consider if you seek more in the "depth" of an experience. AND, also, it only works if you have a very good guide who can match and fit your personal needs. Not all guides are great or fitting your needs. Whether DIY or with a guide, doing your advance research and prep is important to understand fully all that you are seeing and experiences. It's a personal choice to consider.

No offense intended. I just tend to take folks at their word. Perhaps I am not understanding what you meant. Can you please explain further about your meaning when you say:

"You can read a book and walk around. That's OK, but it's not the maximum experience to really understand ALL that is there in that large, charming and historic city."

It sounds, IMHO, like you are saying there is no way you can fully experience Istanbul without a good private guide.

You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a trip and then try to save a few hundred by walking around on your own. In a city such as Istanbul, that's not good economics.

Again, this (to me anyway) sounds like you are saying that if you don't spend "a few hundred" for a guide, you are being economically foolish. But I guess I am misunderstanding. :confused:

No need to fight on the boards. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and it's up to the readers to decide what fit their needs best

Sorry,. I truly didn't mean to take over your discussion. I just get carried away because I feel strongly that some readers (maybe not the ones who always post, but just search for info) may benefit by knowing that they can have a great experience, a maximum experience if you will, by doing it on your own.

I know many people worry about the expense of the cruise, airfare, and the highly recommended private tours on top of that -- it does get very expensive. I'd rather someone have the chance to see Europe, Asia, or anywhere else and DIY rather than stay home because they feel they can't afford the tours and so therefore will have an inferior experience.

Sorry for my probably clumsy attempts to get that point of view across. Hank (Hlitner) is so much more patient with this topic than I am! I promise this is my last word on the subject (on this thread anyway) :o

Sorry,. I truly didn't mean to take over your discussion. I do not feel this is just my discussion. I'm just the thread starter. Everyone is entitled to jump in and give info from their own point of view, but no one who is reading for information wants to feel like they;re intruding in an argument. I just wanted to stop it before the banter continued so it can be pleasant reading.I just get carried away because I feel strongly that some readers (maybe not the ones who always post, but just search for info) may benefit by knowing that they can have a great experience, a maximum experience if you will, by doing it on your own. Agreed

I know many people worry about the expense of the cruise, airfare, and the highly recommended private tours on top of that -- it does get very expensive. I'd rather someone have the chance to see Europe, Asia, or anywhere else and DIY rather than stay home because they feel they can't afford the tours and so therefore will have an inferior experience.

Sorry for my probably clumsy attempts to get that point of view across. Hank (Hlitner) is so much more patient with this topic than I am! I promise this is my last word on the subject (on this thread anyway) Please don't feel like this had to be your last word. if you have a contribution, everyone will be happy to hear it and interpret on their own if they want to hire a guide or DIY. Everyone's pockets are different and everyone likes to do different things, that's what make the world go round.

:o

Linda

Terry, I am not meaning to just single you out, but I don't understand why it is necessary on this board to constantly tell others that private tours are the only way to go and that doing things on your own is not "the maximum experience". I also do not appreciate the inferences on this board that those of us who DIY are somehow doing it on the cheap just to save money. THAT'S NOT THE CASE AT ALL.

Well, Cruisemom, frankly I thought that the long long post that followed the quote above was much more impassioned in pushing DIY than Terry's short remarks about private tours.

The wonderful thing about this board is that we are all able to share our PERSONAL OPINIONS and that readers are able to sort through all the OPINIONS and figure out what is the best for THEM. Trying to find "inferences" in anybody's posting is not a good idea. All we have are the bare words as they are typed and it is difficult to sneak "inferences" into them.

I value your opinion on DIY tours. In some ports we do that and it has worked well for us.

I value Terry's opinion on private guides. Most of the time we agree with her and in many ports have booked private guides with good results. A couple of times it has been a little less than perfect.

And a third opinion that I often express is that the ship's excursions are also often excellent ways to see a port, frequently have the best access to the best vehicles, the best guides and the best attractions.

But I am certainly not making any inference that others who do it differently are wrong. I am just offering my (arrogant) opinions for the consideration of readers.

That is the beauty of this board.

Well, Cruisemom, frankly I thought that the long long post that followed the quote above was much more impassioned in pushing DIY than Terry's short remarks about private tours. The wonderful thing about this board is that we are all able to share our PERSONAL OPINIONS and that readers are able to sort through all the OPINIONS and figure out what is the best for THEM. Trying to find "inferences" in anybody's posting is not a good idea. All we have are the bare words as they are typed and it is difficult to sneak "inferences" into them. I value your opinion on DIY tours. In some ports we do that and it has worked well for us. I value Terry's opinion on private guides. Most of the time we agree with her and in many ports have booked private guides with good results. A couple of times it has been a little less than perfect. And a third opinion that I often express is that the ship's excursions are also often excellent ways to see a port, frequently have the best access to the best vehicles, the best guides and the best attractions. But I am certainly not making any inference that others who do it differently are wrong. I am just offering my (arrogant) opinions for the consideration of readers. That is the beauty of this board.

Very well summarized and stated. THANKS, Mike! It's good to have a little discussion on these many options so that first-time travelers can consider their many potentials.

We've mostly done DIY, plus many ship tours. Our use of private guides has been limited to just a few cities and special circumstances. All of these option can be made to work. It depends on your personal interests and needs, plus budget flexibility! Some are happy to just get off of the ship, walk around, see a few of the "basics", say they were there and go back to the ship. Others, like me (who happens to be a HE), likes to ask lots of questions of our guides, whether on a private or a ship's tour. Some port stops are "one-trick ponies" with it being easier to see it "all", regardless of what you do. There's lots to see and do in Istanbul. People need to consider that wide range of offerings in this large and unique city with so much history and its strategic geographic position.

Regardless of which of these three options you do, it is, in my personal view, very important to do some advance homework to research and prepare for what you will or can see in each port. It's better top think of these many options BEFORE you walk off of the ship and arrive in each town.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived