Half Moon Cay?

sail7seas

Having been to HMC twice, and booked a cabana both times, I would not hesitate to book one again. The #1 reason is for the a/c, which really is nice when the weather gets too hot. The other reasons would be just the sheer indulgent luxury of it!

Also, a word to those who enjoyed the misters in the cabanas - they are no longer there. They've been replaced by a large fan. I don't know if they are planning to bring the misters back, but they were definitely absent when we were there last month. On the plus side, the upgraded furnishings are very nice and comfortable.

The fans double as misters...you just have to make sure the water is turned on to the fan, and it will mist like crazy. It's nice too because they oscillate, and everyone in the cabana gets wet, if that's what they want! We were there 3 weeks ago with the Zuiderdam and all the cabanas had these misting fans.

In my opinion, the cabanas are worth it if you want to enjoy HMC and not get in the sun as much, but not worth it if you are a sun worshipper or plan on spending most of the day in the water. My husband will not get in the sun, and I too was trying to avoid it the day we were there so for us the cabana was absolutely, positively worth it. As for the cost, yep, it's really pricey for what you get. But I saw people who poo-poo'd the cost of the cabanas and said it wasn't worth it standing in line at the photo gallery to pay $40 for a single photo...it's all in your perspective and what you think is more valuable to you. We blew off the photos, and splurged for the cabana and butler service...and will do the same in the future if we ever go back to HMC. Oh, and the photos we took ourselves were so much better than what the ship's photographers did it wasn't even funny.

We returned yesterday from Oosterdam's TransAtlantic, where the last stop was Half Moon Cay.

We rented the turquoise cabana, and when friends decided to join us there we all upgraded to the butler package. Talk about feeling like royalty! My favorite moment was when I decided to take one of the foam floating mats and head down to the water ... the butler stepped in, grabbed the mat, and took it to the water for me! I kept saying "Please...I can carry it...let me do it...", to no avail.

Yes, I'd rent a cabana next time. It allowed us to have whatever combination of sun and shade we desired, as well as a table to sit at to eat and nice cold beverages at our convenience.

I agree that the new $299 price for less than six hours is a tad high.

Interestingly, on our cruise 8 of the 15 cabanas were rented, and only one cabana had the butler service.

I am basing this on the one time we were at HMC. We booked a cabana, a squall came thru while we were in the cabana, not much fun as the cabana offers no protection (at least the one we had) and the price was definately not worth it. The ship had to re-anchor cause of the squall and the tender waited close to an hour before returning to the ship. We are going again on a btb and renting a clamshell the first week and on a waiting list the 2nd.

For those who have been to HMC, are there enough lounges or hammocks so that a cabana or clamshell is not necessary.? Next month will be our first time there, and we think we will do the glass bottom boat and then walk around and maybe sit on a lounge for a little while. We spent our youth vacations in Hawaii twice a year and have enough time in the sun.

Barbara

For us, it was definitely worth it.

I am not "beach person", and didn't know if I was going ashore at HMC or not. Ultimately, it was my favorite port. I don't like being hot; the AC and the fans took care of that. I don't like being in the sun. I don't like being covered in sand; the showers cleaned me perfectly. It was very convienent to walk 8 feet and get sodas or a snack.

I'd spend a whole week in HMC if I could... and I could be sure to get a cabana every day. :-)

We visited HMC twice in the past 2 weeks and I was going t post about the cabannas anyway but will reply here.

We did not rent the cabanas or clamshell and would not do so in future.

The cabanas are very very overpriced in our view.

HMC is a beautifiul place. There is shade at the back of the beach if it's very sunny, just get there early. Failing that the clamshells provide shade if you need it at a much more realistic price.

If it rains go in the water or back to your ship!

If I rented a cabana I would want to spend all day in it to get my money's worth and would miss the other bits of the island, especially exploring the quieter bits of the beach.

The island BBQ is excellent and opens at 1130.

Save you money for something that gives better value.

I totally agree. There's enough shade at the back of the beach, enough food at the BBQ and waiter service along the beach for your "beverages." I never could understand the concept of the cabanas, except as an income generating product for HAL. I prefer the lounges under the shade - feeling the sand between my toes. IMO that's a day at the beach.:)

I must say that having a clamshell seemed perfect to us until last Friday.

A group of us from our roll call booked the Oasis Cabana and OMG! It was amazing!

I think I will feel "put upon" going to HMC and not having the amazing level of service we experienced in the Oasis! And really, as there were 12 of us signed up, it was no more than if the two of us had just reserved a "normal" cabana!

What is your opinion of the retreat cabanas, necessary or no?

Thanks Judy

Once was enough. We booked it with friends so it really wasn't expensive and we did enjoy it. But for us it isn't a do over and now it's way overpriced for what you get.

I don't share everyone's feelings about HMC. It's a beautiful beach, but I'm happy going ashore for a quick swim and short beach time before returning to the ship and enjoying having it all to ourselves (well ... sort of:)).

But I can see how the Oasis would be really fun if you have a large group ... one big beach party in a perfect surrounding. If you're going to do it big, do it really big:D

For those who have been to HMC, are there enough lounges or hammocks so that a cabana or clamshell is not necessary.? Next month will be our first time there, and we think we will do the glass bottom boat and then walk around and maybe sit on a lounge for a little while. We spent our youth vacations in Hawaii twice a year and have enough time in the sun.

Barbara

There are LOTS of lounge chairs. And just a few hammocks.

Be sure to check how many ships will be at HMC on "your" day. If it's two ships, the lounges may be filled more easily ...

Two years ago, we had a cabana with the Butler package. It was a huge splurge and a fantastic day! The butler was wonderful! The Island was very crowded while we were there and without the cabana, I wouldn't have lasted long.

We are going back on the Eurodam this Xmas and have booked a cabana again. There will be two ships in the day we are there, so I am really happy we booked it. As the price went up, we decided to rough it :) and forgo the Butler. To us the cabana is well worth it!

What is your opinion of the retreat cabanas, necessary or no?

Thanks Judy

Are you speaking of the "Cabanas" on Deck 10 on the Eurodam?

I couldn't tell you one way or another! We spent most of our "outside" time on the ship by the Aft Pool. There were always loungers available around the pool in the sun and if you prefered the shade you could find that too, but might have to move as the sun moves.

The "Retreat" cabanas may be worth it if you really need a place to park in the shade. The "Cabanas" on the lido deck though seem stupid. They congest the area grreatly and the people I saw in them looked like they were sweltering as there is no way any breezes are getting in there!

The "Cabanas" on the lido deck though seem stupid. They congest the area grreatly and the people I saw in them looked like they were sweltering as there is no way any breezes are getting in there!
I totally agree, but they do seem to sell as some families like to have them as a "home base". Unfortunately, that probably means we'll see them again on the Nieuw Amsterdam. :(

If you look closely at the Eurodam and N.A. deck plans there are markings on the starboard side of the Lido pool that look like they could be dividers for larger cabanas on that side. They didn't put them on the Eurodam, and I certainly hope they've learned enough that they don't put them on the Nieuw A!!

Archived