Barcelona

Cruise Arizona

We will be in Barcelona just for the day in December on the Celebrity Solstice.

Does any one know if Celebrity or the City of Barcelona provides any kind of free or low cost transports into the city. I have heard of a shuttle that will take passengers to the Columbus monument.

On our last year's TA, the charge was $10 per person for the shuttle services in various ports. We generally chose to walk instead of paying the shuttle price, but in Barcelona, I think that this might not be possible.

Last year we never made it to the Maritime Museum, and since it is right by the Columbus monument, we thought this might be an easy activity if the shuttle is free or low cost.

There will be an abundance of taxis when you dock, and I seem to recall everything being fairly close by, including the Columbus monument. I took a taxi because I was going to a hotel, but I seem to recall that las ramblas and the columbus monument were very near to the port. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, the Columbs monument is right at the end of the Ramblas on the water front.

Were you in Barcelona just for the day? Or were you beginning or ending your cruise there. Last year we departed for our TA from Barcelona, and we took a cab from our rental apartment to the cruise port, but it was quite a ways from the entrance to the port to the ship.

If you are just going from the ship to the Columbus monument is a Taxi the way to go? I think we paid 12 Euros from our Apartment to the port and it was in old town but quite a way from the Columbus monument. So if a Taxi for 4 people is the same price as a shuttle for one person, that makes much more sense.

Hi! How are you? Long time no speak! We were in Barcelona in April on the Solstice..you will love the ship! There was a shuttle provided by the ship and I don't think they would let you walk as we were docked in a very busy section of the port..it wasn't a long ride..really just a "shuttle" and they ran it all day long...have a super time! LuAnn (I think this shuttle was free but not sure!)

leave the ship the follow signs for exit. Leave the passenger port and walk past the taxis... You are now on the main road. The colombus statue is about 30 yards to the right on the opposite side of the road. This is the bottom of las ramblas. Have fun:)

PS if your feeling energetic you can even walk to Sagrada Familia - Gaudi's cathedral, I have walked there from a cruise ship, ok as long as you have a drinks stop on the way;)

leave the ship the follow signs for exit. Leave the passenger port and walk past the taxis... You are now on the main road. The colombus statue is about 30 yards to the right on the opposite side of the road. This is the bottom of las ramblas. Have fun:)

PS if your feeling energetic you can even walk to Sagrada Familia - Gaudi's cathedral, I have walked there from a cruise ship, ok as long as you have a drinks stop on the way;)

They let you walk? I wasn't sure because, like LuAnn said it is kind of a busy port.

We spent a wonderful three days in Barcelona last year where we enjoyed a whole afternoon at the Sagrada Familia (and we did walk, but we were closer to the Arch de Triumph at our apartment). We also loved all the other Modernist buildings. Really unique architecture to be enjoyed in the city.

We were thinking that we would just play it buy ear as to whether or not we get off the ship this time, since we have already seen so many of the city's highlights and the front end of this cruise is so port intensive.

But last time we were there we didn't go inside the Maritime Museum, and since that tells the history of the city from a mariners perspective, I thougth it might be an easy activity to enjoy if we can get the area easily.

Hi! How are you? Long time no speak! We were in Barcelona in April on the Solstice..you will love the ship! There was a shuttle provided by the ship and I don't think they would let you walk as we were docked in a very busy section of the port..it wasn't a long ride..really just a "shuttle" and they ran it all day long...have a super time! LuAnn (I think this shuttle was free but not sure!)

LuAnn,

Glad to hear you liked the Solstice, we are a bit worried it will feel too big, but I know we'll love the newness of the ship and our family size cabin.

We are debating about weather or not it is worth it to spring for for some of extra dining venues. Did you dine in some of the extra cost venues, or just the MDR?

LuAnn,

Glad to hear you liked the Solstice, we are a bit worried it will feel too big, but I know we'll love the newness of the ship and our family size cabin.

We are debating about weather or not it is worth it to spring for for some of extra dining venues. Did you dine in some of the extra cost venues, or just the MDR?

It never felt crowded and it is so modern and so different I think you will enjoy the entirely different look. We did dine in the Silk Harvest...twice in fact! We love Asian food (especially Kenneth!) and he thought it was the best he had ever had! We did not try the other restaurants but the CCers who did said they were excellent! By the way, Speaker was just here in SD for his R/T to Hawaii on HAL and he got together with Cauvet for dinner..I was sick so wasn't able to make it! :( He and Mary are now retired! We too love Barcelona..in fact we spent some time there as well before the T/A we took in 07. Still working on a reunion cruise! But it's hard to find one that everyone can agree upon! LuAnn

I don't recollect the difficulty of getting from pier to Las Ramblas - Columbus Monument but it wasn't difficult...

DW reminded me yesterday of taking a cab from the Segrada Familia to the port and mispronouncing it (being Spanish/Catalon illiterate). The cabbie had us to halfway to the aeroport (well one port's as good as another I suppose; not!) before I started interjecting with "Senor - problemo..." The cabbie was super apologetic (and it was MY fault) and he refused to charge us anything extra at all... The time was cutting close though. It all ended well. I thought Barcelona was terrific. This particular cabbie was a Prince!

I don't recollect the difficulty of getting from pier to Las Ramblas - Columbus Monument but it wasn't difficult...

DW reminded me yesterday of taking a cab from the Segrada Familia to the port and mispronouncing it (being Spanish/Catalon illiterate). The cabbie had us to halfway to the aeroport (well one port's as good as another I suppose; not!) before I started interjecting with "Senor - problemo..." The cabbie was super apologetic (and it was MY fault) and he refused to charge us anything extra at all... The time was cutting close though. It all ended well. I thought Barcelona was terrific. This particular cabbie was a Prince!

We took cabs on 4 occasions when we were in Barcelona. I spoke to them in my really bad Spanish, and though they spoke mostly Catalan on the Radio back and forth, they were all fluent in Spanish as well. My husband and I understand enough Spanish to get the basics. If I had something complicated to say I would usually look up the words ahead of time and write them down.

We too had a wonderful cab driver, that we just hailed at a taxi stand, who took us to Montjuic. There was construction so he had to go way around rather than directly there, and he refused to take as much as it said on the meter since he had missed the detour. I think I finally take the little extra as a tip.

Still I'm just not sure that I need a taxi if I'm just going to the museum.

We were on the SUmmit from Barcelona Oct. 3 and after boarding the ship we got off, got on the shuttle which was about 3 Euro round trip to the Columbus monument, and got a HOHO bus for about 21 usd, I think, and rode around for 2 hours -- never got off. There is a kiosk where you buy the tix and just wait till a bus comes. THey come VERY often. Hope this helps.

When we were there in early May on Solstice, the Port provided free transportation from the ship to the Columbus Monument and back.

Wine-O I like your answer the best, but the 3 euros per person doesn't sound bad either.

Thanks for all the responses, if anyone has anything else to add it is appreciated.

Wine-O I like your answer the best, but the 3 euros per person doesn't sound bad either.

Thanks for all the responses, if anyone has anything else to add it is appreciated.

Suzanne - We spent 4 days in Barcelona after our cruise. Their is so much to see. Sorry you are not staiying longer. We loved the city, people and food. The ship is a short distance from the downtown area. There is also a wonderful subway system that goes all over the city. It was very easy to use and get around with. We took it everywhere. One minor drawback in comparsion to the U.S. - lots of stairs; few escalators. You may want to check into it.

Also, don't let me start on the Madrid and Barcelona airports -- I have never walked so much in my life... Bring good pairs of sneakers and walking shoes...:)

Have a great time...

Neil

Suzanne - We spent 4 days in Barcelona after our cruise. Their is so much to see. Sorry you are not staiying longer. We loved the city, people and food. The ship is a short distance from the downtown area. There is also a wonderful subway system that goes all over the city. It was very easy to use and get around with. We took it everywhere. One minor drawback in comparsion to the U.S. - lots of stairs; few escalators. You may want to check into it.

Also, don't let me start on the Madrid and Barcelona airports -- I have never walked so much in my life... Bring good pairs of sneakers and walking shoes...:)

Have a great time...

Neil

I agree with what you're saying, from the city, the people, the food, the subway system, :) and the stairs. :eek:

It's now our favorite city, well... after Paris. ;)

Gerry

Have a great time...

Neil

We are doing a round trip cruise from barcelona later this month..We are arriving a day early (get in friday afternoon for a 6pm saturday departure) and then spending sat/sun/mon on the return (ship gets in 6am on saturday and we fly out tuesday morning).

We are just starting to research the Barcelona sights.

Do you have any helpful hints or suggestions?

I thought about renting a car and doing a "day(or 2) in the countryside"

Thanks

Trent

We are doing a round trip cruise from barcelona later this month..We are arriving a day early (get in friday afternoon for a 6pm saturday departure) and then spending sat/sun/mon on the return (ship gets in 6am on saturday and we fly out tuesday morning).

We are just starting to research the Barcelona sights.

Do you have any helpful hints or suggestions?

I thought about renting a car and doing a "day(or 2) in the countryside"

Thanks

Trent

Dear Trent (Dodger1964) - There are so many sights to see within the city you will not even need to go into the countryside. As I said earlier, the subway is a great way to get around. We even went to the Med and spent the day at the beach - beautiful restaurants along the way from the beach stop. Las Ramblas - nice place for Tapas and Sangria in the late afternoon (be careful, as pickpockets can be present). The Sagrada Cathedral, The Picasso Museum, etc.. are wonderful.

To my surprise everyone spoke Catalan (mix of French and Spanish) rather than Spanish -- but the people understand Spanish (some English). They loved Americans and treated us great.

Have a wonderful time.

Neil:)

When we were there in early May on Solstice, the Port provided free transportation from the ship to the Columbus Monument and back.

I was on the same Solstice TA. As I recall we were orginally told there was going to be a charge for the shuttle, but that was changed to free before we docked.

Archived