Ice Wine

sped01

Dang you all!

Now I want a glass of Ice Wine. I had the pleasure of trying it for the first time about a year ago and absolutely loved it. I love the sweet wines though. We are lucky that we have a large liqour store that has a great shipping agreement with many wineries. He says "If you want it, I can get it"

Now I want a glass, but I'm at work for another 5 hours....dang you all!!!

:)

I've been told that true Ice Wines are only made in Germany and in the Niagara Region of Southern Ontario and Western New York. All others are pretenders. Now, maybe I was told that to promote Ice Wine sales in the Niagara Region. It is what I tell people on my tours.

:eek:

Try telling the wonderful Washington wineries their ice wines aren't "real!"

:D

I would strongly doubt it. A lot of people confuse ice wine with late harvest wine and they are completely different products. Being Canadian, we are very familiar with it however I'm not so sure that our US neighbours have had the pleasure. :)

2P.P1

Living in Michigan has provided me with the opportunity to enjoy some great Ice Wines. Northern Michigan has the perfect climate for all wine, and I believe the ice wines from a few of the vineyards could compete with some of the best ice wines in the country! Some however, taste like grape juice! LOL

I stand corrected. :o But $20 a bottle? I've never seen one that was that inexpensive. They tend to be very pricey where I live for such a small bottle.

2P.P1

I have never heard of a $20 bottle of ice wine either! Even the cheapest bottles of Michigan ice wine are in the $50-$75 range. The bottles are always much smaller than regular bottles (usually same height, but thinner). The ice wine is labor intensive to make, and if the weather does not cooperate, well...the whole batch is ruined.

I have never heard of a $20 bottle of ice wine either! Even the cheapest bottles of Michigan ice wine are in the $50-$75 range. The bottles are always much smaller than regular bottles (usually same height, but thinner). The ice wine is labor intensive to make, and if the weather does not cooperate, well...the whole batch is ruined.

Maybe it was a cheap Chinese fake...apparently they have been caught doing this as well to icewine

You think that is expensive, try getting a good sauternes ... last bottle I saw was over $200 ....

:(

A bit of an off-topic question?

I've sailed Princess the last few years, they allow wine and alchohol at the intial boarding point.

We are hoping to do an RCL if the schedule allows and from what you've all said do I understand correctly that RCL does not allow you to bring wine on at the initial boarding point like Miami?

And what the heck is NOOTS??? Curious minds want to know? :confused: :confused:

A bit of an off-topic question?

I've sailed Princess the last few years, they allow wine and alchohol at the intial boarding point.

We are hoping to do an RCL if the schedule allows and from what you've all said do I understand correctly that RCL does not allow you to bring wine on at the initial boarding point like Miami?

And what the heck is NOOTS??? Curious minds want to know?

Unfortunately RCI no longer allows you to take alcohol on board, at your point of departure or anywhere else. :( That hasn't stopped people from trying though.

Ahhh NOOTS.... it stands for Not Oasis Of The Seas. Now that is a whole other topic. :p

2P.P1

You think that is expensive, try getting a good sauternes ... last bottle I saw was over $200 ....

:(

I am very familiar with MUCH more expensive wines, I was commenting on the fact that even the "cheap" Michigan ice wines are much more than the $20 that the other poster commented on.

Maybe it was a cheap Chinese fake...apparently they have been caught doing this as well to icewine

Good luck to them. The justification for eiswein is a bit circular. Why bother with this ridiculous process unless there are people around who are prepared to pay the price?

Cheap Chinese knock-offs serve a useful social purpose - to de-bunk the over-priced! :D

I've been told that true Ice Wines are only made in Germany and in the Niagara Region of Southern Ontario and Western New York. All others are pretenders. Now, maybe I was told that to promote Ice Wine sales in the Niagara Region. It is what I tell people on my tours.

Here's a link to info about British Columbia Ice Wine.

http://www.winebc.com/icewine.php

A few years ago, around 2005, I was able to get ice wine in Portofino's. It wasn't advertised in the wine list, but my girlfriend asked if it was available. Much to our surprise, they did have it in the restaurant.

We tried to get it at other bars around the ship, but no luck. None of the other bar servers even knew what we were talking about. They thought we wanted a glass of wine with ice in the glass.

I would suggest asking at both Chops and Portofino's if it is available, you may find that they do have it available

BTW, I believe this cruise was on the Explorer OTS.

Cheers,

Jim

I stand corrected. :o But $20 a bottle? I've never seen one that was that inexpensive. They tend to be very pricey where I live for such a small bottle.

2P.P1

Sam's Club sells a 2005 Eiswein Nachtgold from Germany for around $15, and it's a 500 ML bottle not a 375:D

Archived