Too Warm Temps in Cabins

margord

now that I recall, it was the duvet that we were under when we were sweating. :eek:

The duvets are comfy and snuggly, but way too thick. Next time just ask for a top sheet, make the bedspread disappear permanently and use the duvet only if needed in addition to the sheet.

51TZPYTZGAL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

I don't cruise without the table fan I purchased on Amazon. I also bring my digital Humidity/Temperature Indicator just to keep them honest. It's hard to deny the cabin is warm when it says 78 degrees and 68% humidity. The fan is only $20 and is quiet and lightweight.

My son and his bride are on their honeymoon on the Emerald Princess this week. I hope their cabin is cool.

We were on the Emerald in the Med last Aug and were comfortable. I prefer it quite cool at night and we had it set on the coldest setting all the time. At home in the winter heat is set at 57 at night. Our balcony door was open off and on.

On the Star in the Baltic in 2007 we set it to the lowest setting as soon as we got in our room but the air never came on. Being from MN we sure didn't need any heat with temps in the 50's and some 60's. Thus we had our balcony door open almost all the time except when we left the room. That helped a bit.

We had an inside cabin on the Golden to Alaska this summer and the cabin was so warm that we propped the stateroom door open each evening just to get some air.

The CB in March, southern caribbean itinerary, wasn't nearly as warm.

All of my other cruises in the past, we were able to keep the room cool regardless of curtians open or closed during the day. It seems that this complaint is with Princess only. This is unaceptable.

It's not just with Princess! On my first HAL cruise (in December!), my cabin was so hot that I couldn't sleep. The staff could not reduce the heat temp., but turned it off. The A/C in my cabin was not working. Staff brought in a huge floor fan. This was in December (Western Carib) over Christmas, and the floor fan (at full blast) allowed me to at least get some sleep! On the third day, the A/C kicked in and all was well. I love great beaches and warm water during the day, but for sleeping, I need at least 68 degrees F. This is November, and my A/C is still running, permanently set at 68F.

Had a similar problem on a Carnival cruise in mid-December. The cabin was stifling upon boarding! High heat, and no A/C. Staff corrected it in about 45 minutes, and no problems for the duration.

It's not just a Princess problem.

The only time I've really seemed to have a problem is the day that we board the ship. It seems to take a long time to cool down that day. After that, I've never had a problem. And I tend to like rooms cold, especially at night, and I've had ships where I've had to move it from the bottom setting because it was too cold for me :). (And my wife really complains, she doesn't like it quite as cold :) ). Allways balcony cabins.

It is really a shame that pax must take fans on board. I don't have space in my luggage.

I believe the problem is also a function of poor maintenance (another cost-cutting device) - wait until it breaks down completely, then wait until the pax complain a couple of times, then start troubleshooting.

I guess the only place we can go is to Antarctica. Last January, it was freezing and I had to wear layers of clothing, even in my cabin, for 19 days.

The time I was the hotest on this cruise was in Chili. We walked for 2 miles to see the Penguinos and it was drizzling slightly. I was not wet on the outside because of big, hooded parka & turtleneck, weatherproof pants. However, I was wearing silk long underwear, neck to toes, and I was sweating. Dry on the outside, but soaking wet inside.

Try Antarctica - Very Cool.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

So what about outside cabins with a window? Are they hot as well? Or cool since no door opens?

The only outside cabin I've been in (HAL's Maasdam) was hot. Maybe it was because of the age of the ship. All my balcony cabins but one (Brilliance of the Sea) were cool. An outside or inside cabin could be on an AC string with balcony cabins. A poster on the HAL board explained how the AC systems are designed about 2 years ago.

I had Amazon ship my fan to my Ft. Lauderdale hotel before my 49 day South American cruise. I was not going to risk being uncomfortable.

The only outside cabin I've been in (HAL's Maasdam) was hot. Maybe it was because of the age of the ship. All my balcony cabins but one (Brilliance of the Sea) were cool. An outside or inside cabin could be on an AC string with balcony cabins. A poster on the HAL board explained how the AC systems are designed about 2 years ago.

QUOTE]

Ditto!

So what about outside cabins with a window? Are they hot as well? Or cool since no door opens?

We had 3 in an outside window cabin on the Crown in the Caribbean in March and there was no problem with the temperature. We clicked it down a couple of notches when we got onboard and then a couple more notches after dinner and the temperature was cool for sleeping.

Same here! We were on 10/25 sailing of Emerald and our Caribe Deck Balcony Cabin never got cool. We had the thermostat as low as possible, used a top sheet instead of duvet. Maintenance worked on thermostat/vents twice, but didn't really help. It wasn't unbearable, but the room was never cool. The worst part was when using the hair dryer!

We still had a great cruise!

Pam in KY

I don't understand - the thermostat has an electronic up and down arrow and I have foun the temperature changes to reflect that.

Oh I have exactly the same thing, however, when I put it as low as possible (as cool as possible) it still does not go below 75 degrees or higher. My point is why have it if I can't make it cooler.

63 degrees??? YIKES! :eek: I'm freezing just thinking about it. When the house temps fall to 68 we need to turn on the heat. I like my A/C same as everyone else, but we live all year round in a climate controlled environment of 74-75.

Omigosh Pia, I couldnt handle my house at 74. We are comfy at 67 degrees in the winter, its just right for those with sinus problems. Although I love duvets at home in the winter, they seem a poor choice for the Caribbean, I was quick to ask for a top sheet when we went. Our air conditioning never really cooled off the cabin enough for us.

Karen

63 degrees??? YIKES! :eek: I'm freezing just thinking about it. When the house temps fall to 68 we need to turn on the heat. I like my A/C same as everyone else, but we live all year round in a climate controlled environment of 74-75.

Here in Maine at my house, I seldom put the thermostat higher than 62. If it is really cold, maybe 64. For the record, have never had a problem on the Diamond, Grand or Crown.

Has anyone other than me noticed that the temperatures in the cabins seems to be getting much warmer. Even though we turned the thermostat all the way down the cabin stays warm. We have thermometers on our travel clocks and many times the temps will not go below 75 degrees. I find this too warm expecially for sleeping. We have had to call someone to try to get the temps down on our last 5 cruises. This is done after keeping out curtains closed and the thermostat at the lowest setting. Many times nothing is done until my 3rd or 4th call. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. We have been in a balcony cabin every time and can not figure out if it is a bad design (warm air coming through the sliding glass doors) or another attempt by the cruise line to save money. This has happened to us on the Emerald, Grand and twice on the Crown.

Just got off of the CB this past Sunday. We had a very comfortable temp in our cabin on Deck 12:o

My son and his bride are on their honeymoon on the Emerald Princess this week. I hope their cabin is cool.

Well, let's hope not! :D:p;)

It's 66 in our house right now and I'm in shorts and a tank top! But then, I live in SoCal and am quite comfortable until it gets to about 78-80 degrees. I've never found our cabin to be warm on any of the ships I've been on.

Oh, and to those that think that Princess is trying to save money by cutting back on air-conditioning, please remember that the ships generate their own electricity. Maybe those that have taken the Ultimate Ship Tour and have seen the Engine Control room can tell us if they can restrict electricity from the air-conditioning plant without affecting electrical delivery to the rest of the ship. I just don't think they'd knowingly make their passengers uncomfortable to save a few extra dollars on fuel costs. At least I'd hope not. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Funny related story... went to Disney last year and stayed in their deluxe resort.

Many guest had discovered that Disney has installed motion sensors to the AC units, and when people were out of the room all day, or sleeping at night, the AC would turn off to save energy.

On the dis-boards (Disney chat site) a whole host of creative solutions and fixes started popping up, to try and keep the AC on. :p Some people left balloons in the room to sway and move so the AC wouldn't shut off all day (thus coming back to a warm room). Other more mechanical types found codes to reprogram the thermostats :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the cruise ship industry was following Disney's lead in some way, to try and save money.

I hope this won't be the case on my sailing on the Crown in Dec. I like it cool when I sleep. Has anybody had ability to make room cool, esp at night ?

We were on the Island Panama Canal last Nov...if anything our cabin..a mini..got way too cool..esp at nite..my DH who is a wimp would go to sleep with the temp too warm for me..I noticed he was sleeping uncovered...when he went to sleep I lowered the temp til it was chilly and was able to sleep under the duvet..

do not open the balcony door..it messes up your AC and apparently those around you as well..

as A Southern Calif too..anyone who expects the AC to lower the temp to the low 70s or lower...as likely never paid an electric bill!!! we had a houseguest once here in our desert house...who lowered the thermastat to 65!!! the rest of us were wrapped in throws to watch TV...next am I told him to NOT touch the thermastat...if he thought our home was too warm he was welcome to check into the hotel (400+ a night) as we were footing the bill for his outrageous demands...he never stayed again!!

in our other home..nearer the beach...with pool and AC..etc...we have several months in summer where our electric bill is about 500 bucks...luckily our nites cool down nicely there so we rarely have ac on during the nite..

power is $$$$,,,,

We've noticed that over the past couple of years and have started taking a small fan with us to use at night. We like it cold, too, when we sleep and 68 degrees is perfect for a good night's sleep.;) We keep our thermostat set on 70 year round, but also run our ceiling fans 24-7 year round in the bedroom and living room.

Nurserosie, not sure where in CA you live or about your CA temps, but here in CLT, we have high humidity with temps in the high 90s during the summer so we don't mind paying the electric bill to stay cool. Our summers begin in May and end sometimes in Sept., but mostly mid-Oct. You are lucky you don't need the AC at night; our nights don't cool down much in the summers so we have to run the AC at night. We've never had an electric bill as high as yours, thank goodness! My aunt and uncle who live in Vacaville, CA visited us one May and I thought my poor aunt was going have a heat stroke! She said she could never live here and it really wasn't hot yet!

You are so right about the balcony doors and the AC -- please don't do that.

Archived