Latitudes Question

rustybolts

We've just recently attained "Platinum" status. We know about all the stuff like the free dinner at LeBistro. But at one time I heard that you get concierge service with Platinum regardless of your stateroom category.

Is that still true???

Rusty

We've just recently attained "Platinum" status. We know about all the stuff like the free dinner at LeBistro. But at one time I heard that you get concierge service with Platinum regardless of your stateroom category.

Is that still true???

Rusty

You don't get concierge service. Here's the list of Latitudes benefits for each of the tiers:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=MembershipBenefits

As a Platinum member, I can tell you with certainty that it varies from ship to ship, cruise to cruise. We usually book an interior, outside, or balcony at best.

Last year, on the Sky we were treated like royalty by the concierge Virginia.

On another ship last year, it was either the Star or Pearl, we had constant contact with Carlos ( nice guy, but a bit too huggy, kissy for my liking).

On other ships, we had no contact at all from the concierge at all.

I think that the rule is no contact from the concierge for Plat''s, but it is very subject to variances from ship to ship.

Hope this helps.

We are leaving tomorrow for B2B cruises on the Sky, and as far as we have been told, with the new Latitudes rules, Plat's on cruises of less than 5 days or receive no perks at all.

I will report back!

It seems the ships run as separate companies sometimes you wouldn't know their within the same cruiseline.

I'm sure the hotel directors have a great deal of discretion in how they run their operations.

However, NCL has a problem in getting out a consistent message even on their Web site. The conflicting information on dress codes is a perfect example. Sometimes their advertising fluff is out of step with the actual rules. And then the rules may not get enforced on board ship anyway. It's the type of problem that's actually solved pretty easily with a stronger corporate organizational structure and clear lines of reporting and responsibility.

Is that still true???

Rusty

Congratulations Rusty! In place of concierge service, you get priority service. In place of letters from the concierge, you get letters from the latitudes representative onboard. I think years ago platinums got the concierge perk but that changed as many repeat passengers reached platinum and one concierge was unable to do all the suites and all the platinums.

coka

When I sailed on the Gem last March we received a letter in our stateroom from a concierge. He gave us his contact info and told us to call him if we needed assistance. We were able to call him to get last minute reservations in the specialty resturants. That service came in handy as a few times he was able to get us reservations eventhough the restaurant said they were full. BTW we are only Gold and had an inside cabin.

Congratulations Rusty! In place of concierge service, you get priority service. In place of letters from the concierge, you get letters from the latitudes representative onboard. I think years ago platinums got the concierge perk but that changed as many repeat passengers reached platinum and one concierge was unable to do all the suites and all the platinums.

coka

Coka -- You are (as usual) right on all counts. All the platinum perks come from the lattitudes rep now. Bill

It definately depends on which ship you are on, and they do vary a great deal. I've been platinum for several years. It also makes a difference depending how many platinum are on the ship. I've sailed the same ships, different cruises. One time there were over 30 platinums on board, the "attention" was min.. Other cruises where a few platinums, I've had total upscale perks and attention.

Overall, I'm not all that excited about any of it. :) I think they should have a higher level, like they do on RCI, of which I'm a Diamond. I'd qualify with NCL if they had the diamond Plus like they do on RCI. :)

I find that as a Platnum member and regular cruiser on NCL with three or four trips each year that one area of difference like everything else on NCL is the staff on each ship and how many members they must service. But for me the real difference is NCL business attitude. I have seen a steady decline in perks for loyal NCL Cruisers and I can would expect that some past loyal guests will start jumping ship to other Cruise lines and when NCL feels the pinch they will return to showing they care for the better repeat customers. Ohio

I find that as a Platnum member and regular cruiser on NCL with three or four trips each year that one area of difference like everything else on NCL is the staff on each ship and how many members they must service. But for me the real difference is NCL business attitude. I have seen a steady decline in perks for loyal NCL Cruisers and I can would expect that some past loyal guests will start jumping ship to other Cruise lines and when NCL feels the pinch they will return to showing they care for the better repeat customers. Ohio

NCL isn't the only cruise line to cut back on loyalty program benefits. Royal Caribbean recently made cuts to Diamond member benefits that have caused a real uproar.

What have they taken away ? Recently, they added free laundry and behind the scenes tour. Did I miss something ?

......behind the scenes tour and the free laundry. Not BIG perks, but still pretty nice. Especially the free laundry! I've been behind the scenes on a lot of ships but when the Epic comes along, that might be interesting to see how they feed 5,000 people. :eek:

I was pretty sure that when the Platinum level first came out, you got concierge service. But we were usually in a suite so we didn't have a chance to test that benefit. I was just trying to figure out if that was still true. Sounds like it's a judgement call on the part of the HD or concierge, but in general it's not part of the Plat bennies nowadays. :(

I did notice that the mini suites are no longer getting concierge service. With so many mini suites on the newer ships, honestly I didn't see how the concierges kept up with all the demands of so many cabins.

They probably should stop calling them mini suites and just go with "deluxe balcony." Like they are doing on the new Epic. If you're in a true suite with concierge and butler service and VIP privileges, call it a suite. If you aren't call it something else. I'm OK with that! Just makes more sense and eliminates a some confusion about what is and isn't included. I actually met a passenger whose travel agent had told them that they got a butler in their mini. (At least that was their story. Maybe that was their way of angling for more freebies!). They were pretty torqued up when they found out that not only that they didn't get a butler, but that they didn't even have the services of the concierge. If it was true, I wouldn't have wanted to be their travel agent when they got back!

Rusty

......behind the scenes tour and the free laundry. Not BIG perks, but still pretty nice. Especially the free laundry! I've been behind the scenes on a lot of ships but when the Epic comes along, that might be interesting to see how they feed 5,000 people. :eek:

I was pretty sure that when the Platinum level first came out, you got concierge service. But we were usually in a suite so we didn't have a chance to test that benefit. I was just trying to figure out if that was still true. Sounds like it's a judgement call on the part of the HD or concierge, but in general it's not part of the Plat bennies nowadays. :(

I did notice that the mini suites are no longer getting concierge service. With so many mini suites on the newer ships, honestly I didn't see how the concierges kept up with all the demands of so many cabins.

They probably should stop calling them mini suites and just go with "deluxe balcony." Like they are doing on the new Epic. If you're in a true suite with concierge and butler service and VIP privileges, call it a suite. If you aren't call it something else. I'm OK with that! Just makes more sense and eliminates a some confusion about what is and isn't included. I actually met a passenger whose travel agent had told them that they got a butler in their mini. (At least that was their story. Maybe that was their way of angling for more freebies!). They were pretty torqued up when they found out that not only that they didn't get a butler, but that they didn't even have the services of the concierge. If it was true, I wouldn't have wanted to be their travel agent when they got back!

Rusty

Rusty -- You are right about the Concierge. (At least on the Star ) Simone used to handle everything for the suites and platinum lattitudes, but recently, the plats were taken over by Romeo (Lattitudes rep) and he has done a great job for us since he took over. It appears he carries as much weight as the concierge for getting things done. They have also separated the cocktail party for the suites from the lattitudes (Plat, Gold, and Silver) but we still have our party. The only other change I see is that we no longer get VIP luggage tags for departure, but we still get priority disembarkation with a different color tag, so that is no big change either.

I am satisfied with the things NCL has done with the lattitudes program

Rusty

I am booked in a Family Suite with Balcony but it doesn't say it comes with a butler or anything, but it also doesn't call it a mini suite either. I recognize i will not get those extra suite perks, but I do agree, they should simply call it family cabin or something like that. the word suite should not be used, since the cabin does not come with the perks.

I am booked in a Family Suite with Balcony but it doesn't say it comes with a butler or anything, but it also doesn't call it a mini suite either. I recognize i will not get those extra suite perks, but I do agree, they should simply call it family cabin or something like that. the word suite should not be used, since the cabin does not come with the perks.

Need more info, as in what type of cabin, BA,AF,AD or whatever, and what ship? Pride of America?

Need more info, as in what type of cabin, BA,AF,AD or whatever, and what ship? Pride of America?

It's an AF on Pride of America. I am looking forward to this cabin, albeit without any perks. For me the perks will be the stern and size of balcony.

Archived