Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

I sent Mark an email yesterday to see if we could join a group. We are on the Valor sailing 2/21. He sent me an email back stating he is going to be on the Valor also that week. His daughter is getting married, and the whole wedding party is going to be on the cruise, so the resort will be closed. Bummer for me, but congrats to him.

I have recently returned from Costa Maya and a day at Maya Chan! AWESOME! I believe the entire place was filled with people from the NCL Jewel, 7 of them were from our group. I must say everything went as planned and as they state in the confirmation email. Zack, David and Preston were the best, they make you feel special and to not have a care in the world. The fajita buffet was very tasty! Preston was the drink master, and kept everyone very happy. It was a bit windy the day we went but that didn't stop the sun. I will recommend this to anyone I know going there and look forward to visiting on my next stop in Costa Maya.

Another LOUD vote for Maya Chan. Except for the clouds and quick rainstorm, it was as perfect a day as could be. The staff was awesome, and tripped over themselves trying to wait on you and anticipate your every desire. Trtllovr wasn't kidding - they really did come out into the water to bring you more drinks, and since there were two drink holders on each floatie thing - why not? We had waited at the pier for almost an hour for another couple that we knew were coming, eating up our time at Maya Chan. In retrospect, I don't think I'd do that again. I'd get my backside there as soon as humanly possible to enjoy it as long as I could. The time went extremely fast, and before we knew it , it was time to leave.

One thing nobody mentioned is the basket of chips and guacamole and salsa they bring you - as much as you want - after the fruit cup . That was also delicious.

Can't wait to go back. Hope he doesn't start raising the prices with his new-found popularity.

Another question for anyone who has been there. We will be in Costa Maya from 12-7. Would it still be worth it to get there at say 12:30 or 1? I emailed them but would like a cruiser's viewpoint on the timing thing. Thanks.

My vote...get there ASAP......you will regret it if you don't! It really is that wonderful. I was truly sorry to see the day end.

Another question for anyone who has been there. We will be in Costa Maya from 12-7. Would it still be worth it to get there at say 12:30 or 1? I emailed them but would like a cruiser's viewpoint on the timing thing. Thanks.

I would write or call them and ask if that timing would fit into their schedule. They usually arrange for taxis at certain hours, (around 4 PM, for us) but maybe they change according to whatever ships' schedules that are in. Especially if you can get a group together, it would be more worth his while to be open for you. Mark is good about returning emails - I'd try going that way.

As to the snorkeling question - if you read thru this whole thread, you'll find lots of references to the snorkeling we all experienced. Check out trtllovrs posts, for the most recent report.

We were at Maya Chan last week. It was breathtakingly beautiful. Zack was great and took such good care of us. We went on a short bike trip with him and he told us a little about the area. We did not have the great bar experience that some here report. The drinks were weak and not well-mixed...so we just switched to beer and wine and it was all good. The food was excellent as was the service. I highly recommend Maya Chan.

This thread is so bittersweet...I'm so happy that Maya Chan is succeeding, because it is a wonderful place to spend a perfect beach day, and I want it to succeed and be around to use in the future.

But at the same time, it worries me that it might be getting TOO popular, and I would hate to end up missing out because they sold out on a day I was going to be there! The best kept secret it getting out there!

Naah, it'll be alright, just more incentive to book early and often.

We are reserved in May with the Carnival Dream we arrive at 7 am and depart at 3pm, you said they are an hour behind that gets us there at about 7 am their time leaving probably at 1 pm.

How do you think that day will be. Don't think I'll be wanting too

much guaco and chips at that hour?

But the reveiws and views on the webcam are so awesome!

We were thinking about doing this as well, but will be on the Dream from 7am-3pm and I don't know if it will be worth the $$ for the few hours we could spend there. Has anyone cruised from 7am-3pm and enjoyed Maya Chan. I think with the time change in Costa Maya we would need to take a taxi back at 1pm CM time?

Hey,

We have a group of 8 booked for the 3/16. From the look of the NCL Roll Call the resort is going to be pretty much all from our cruise. Mark squeezed us in because someone else didn't pay their deposit after a long wait (sorry someone...)

Ive heard amazing things and i'm really excited - quick questions, How big exactly is the place? There are only 30 people allowed into the resort, or is that only 30 from cruise ships? Are their guests that are staying at the resort (not from cruise ships) as well?

THANKS!

The thirty guests allowed is the total--and all are from cruise ships--it is an all inclusive day resort.

To those with the early morning timeframe--I would go for it. Get up early and go for it. Mornings on the beach are beautiful--heck, their guacomole is so good I can't think fo a time when it wouldn't go down well. Nothing like a fresh Bloody Mary too. Seriously, if you left the ship at 8:30 and got there at 9--it would give you a nice four hours. Just let him know so that lunch can be made just a bit earlier.

Sorry--I only answered half your question. Regarding the size of the place--it is not huge. However, the way the property is arranged, it will give you a sense of being quite private. The beach furniture (and it is really furniture--not folding chairs) is arranged to accomadate the size of your group along with a palapa for shade. So it is custom set up for the groups that are coming that day. There is no racing to get a seat or the best spot or whatever. You will certainly have a sense of being with other people--in fact the bar is quite busy and active always--but not of being in a crowd or waiting in line for anything. There are group activities for those who wish to participate--bike riding, snorkeling etc.

Thanks YoYo!

One more thing, i don't want to soil the image of my group because this WILL make some cringe, but we are all 21 year olds coming from Purdue for our Spring Break. We are not at all looking for the wild and crazy spring break (because we've all had that in past years at PCB) which is why we chose the cruise that we did. That being said, at closer look this seems like a quiet and "couple-oriented" resort, we are not loud rambunctious people but we are 8 college men, would it be inappropriate to bring a Frisbee to this secluded beach?

Thanks

Frisbee is fine--but here is the one disappointment you may have. There is not a huge open sandy beach here. The beach has a lot of palm trees and vegetation, as well as the palapas etc. Therefore it is not your ideal frisbee setting. But in my experience people who love frisbee will find a way to play--and you can play in the water of course. But i jsut wanted to let you know what to expect as far as the expanse of the space and the beach.

Now if the question is more about the atmosphere--would frisbee be acceptable to the atmospher of the place--most definitely. I think the clientele may tend to vary a bit from day to day. But it is not all couples and old people. The day we were there there was one couple, a family group of about 18 (all ages and very active); our family of 6 which included four college age kids; and one lovely obnoxious family of 5 who proceeded to get drunk--the maybe 18 year old kid got blitzed--and yes, it was noticable because they were just so bizarre and loud and fighting and the mother fell over backwards off one of the trees, just embarrassing really. I am around a lot of college age kids--I know what you mean when you say that you can have a good time, drink, play games--but not be obnoxious. The large family group was loud in that normal way. There is no way you are not going to have a great time. You will get unlimited drinks and as long as you are not an idiot they will serve you and you can have all the fun you wish. Unfortunately we had not so good weather--but we were still thrilled with our experience. My gosh--the food alone!!! The guys that work at this place are really nice too--they will show you a good time.

Thank you for all your lovely reveiws. I booked the last two "open" spots in our group for October 2010 which he is allowing a count of 50. I sure hope there are enough accommodations for 50 people of the same group!

Archived