Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

....We did enjoy our day, and the staff was nice....For the price, it can't be beat, just don't go with expectations of grandeur.

Maybe someone else with more Costa Maya experience can chime in, but I do not think you will find "grandeur" anywhere in the area.

What Maya Chan offers is a supremely relaxing all-inclusive beach day away from the hustle and bustle of the extremely synthetic cruise ship pier area atmosphere. Nothing more and nothing less. Good food, good drinks, kayaks, snorkeling gear, bicycles, fresh water showers, round trip transportation and the internet all included. As you say, for the price I do not think it can be beat.

We are very much looking forward to a repeat visit in a few weeks.....

First, I will agree that Costa Maya seems as if it is still developing as a destination area and therefore the alternatives to Maya Chan are likely not any better. I did make a comment to my wife that I liked the authentic feel of the real Mexico and it certainly feels less "touristy" here than places like Cozumel and Cancun.

Again, my comments weren’t meant to be a total slam of Maya Chan, we enjoyed it there, they were just an observation that in my opinion the place has been completely over hyped on the message boards.

I'm not sure I can pinpoint exactly what the let downs were...I just know that based on reading posts; I totally expected to be blown away with the place, the people, the food, etc. I guess in my mind I thought I was going to experience euphoria :)

We relaxed, enjoyed time away from the large crowds, the food was decent, and the price was unbeatable, yet for some reason we left feeling less satisfied than we were led to believe.

I guess if someone asked me, “What did you think of Maya Chan?” I would sum it up by saying that it nice and a good deal for the price, but nothing too special.

The pictures of Maya Chan are available on their website. The pix are accurate. It is a nice small beach. The food is good. The drinks are plentiful. The staff is friendly. They will keep you safe in the water. We have been there twice. Good weather and not-so-good--always a very pleasant day. All I ask from an excursion is for it to give you what they advertised. We felt welcome there. They are all good people who are very good at hosting. We are looking at a November cruise and when I told my husband it included a stop in Costa Maya, I got a smile. Yeah, we'll be back soon.;)

LaurieCM: :D... it makes us smile too!

We had a great day at Maya Chan and would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone. I would return there in a heartbeat!

That being said...I thought that the beach etc would be larger. Did it matter? No! It was cozy and felt like your own private beach, complete with great service & great people that genuinely cared if you were enjoying your day! The pictures on their website were precisely what you saw.

I thought it would be too quiet & sedate for our group. Again, that was part of it's charm.

After a few cruises under our belt, we were ready to go to place that had some of those exact qualities and that is what Maya Chan promotes. And that is what they delivered. If you are looking for a wild and crazy beach, filled with rocking music, big crowds and all the antics that go along with that you may want to consider another experience. (Don't get me wrong, some days that IS what I am looking for..LOL)

Go to their website, browse through "Our story"...you get exactly that.

We will be in Costa Maya in October with X. We were there when it just became a cruise port with RCCL (I think...I don't think it was X)...There was noting but a market at the port. We will be a Maya Chan and if I can find a nice beach set up I will be happy to have tried it. It seem to be a simplistic location and all I want is a nice, clean and safe beach. So for a private beach excursion, I think it will meet my needs. I hope I have that right.

I'm totally sold! Will be booking our family there in January. Our daughter will be 15 months at the time. Mark said children under 3 are free, so that is nice - I am all for paying my share for this slice of paradise but I don't want my infant daughter to have to drink her $60 worth of margaritas ;-)

- Maya Chan: After visiting Maya Chan, I feel that is has been very much over rated on the boards. We did enjoy our day, and the staff was nice, but not at all the DREAM day we were led to believe we would experience.

For the price, it can't be beat, just don't go with expectations of grandeur. I'm not saying we wouldn't do it again; it just wasn't what we thought it would be based on everything we read.

Thank you for your comment. I VERY much look forward to our stay at Maya Chan but your comment made me smile.

I am a frequent participator on the disboards, own DVC and own at Orange Lake Country Club in Orlando. I am a BIG Disney person (freak seems too harsh LOL) and may come off as a know it all BUT had never been when the Christmas decorations were up.

I read how beautiful, wonderful, awe-inspiring, breathtaking, etc., you get the idea, the decorations are, the mood, blah, blah, blah at Disney parks and the resorts.

Well, I read the wonder of it all for years and about 2 or 3 years ago we went the week after Thanksgiving, my family along with my mother, another Disney nut, and although it was nice, it wasn't anything spectacular.

Maybe it's because I live in NY and worked midtown and have seen it all, decorations, Rockfeller Center, 5th Avenue, tree, etc., but I just still can't get all the hype. Hotels are pretty, parks nice, but nothing I haven't seen before (well, never saw a big ginerbread house before but that isn't something I would book my vacation week around).

Maybe that is what you felt about Maya Chan so I understand where you are coming from but I'm not as brave as you are to post that on the disboards LOL.

- Maya Chan: After visiting Maya Chan, I feel that is has been very much over rated on the boards. We did enjoy our day, and the staff was nice, but not at all the DREAM day we were led to believe we would experience.

For the price, it can't be beat, just don't go with expectations of grandeur. I'm not saying we wouldn't do it again; it just wasn't what we thought it would be based on everything we read.

First let me say that my comments are based upon my cumulative experiences over the past several years of visiting Costa Maya. I have been there several times. I too agree with Harmons_Florida that the boards are way too generous to Maya Chan and that it is over rated.

I am not sure what experiences everyone else’s comments are coming from but if you have done other excursions, beach excursions and been to other places in Costa Maya to compare. You too would agree with both of us that Maya Chan is over rated, but then it’s all about what you like and what you’re looking for.

Please explore all your options in Costa Maya or any other port before you commit to Maya Chan or anyone else. Knowledge is power and when traveling it will make the difference between an average excursion and an exceptional one.

So for a cruiser who is visiting Costa Maya for the first time, would we enjoy going downtown better? Would this provide more of a "flavor" of Costa Maya and then, perhaps, save Maya Chan for another trip?

Marie: Looks like you had a great time! Did the little girl find the starfish at Maya Chan? Amazing!

I am not sure what experiences everyone else’s comments are coming from but if you have done other excursions, beach excursions and been to other places in Costa Maya to compare. You too would agree with both of us that Maya Chan is over rated, but then it’s all about what you like and what you’re looking for.

I think you answered the question: "but then it's all about what you like and what you're looking for". Apparently what Maya Chan offers is not what you want, and that's ok - but it surely doesn't make it 'over rated'.

Everyone else's comments come from THEIR EXPERIENCE from Maya Chan - not what THEY THINK THEY WILL BE.

If you are considering Maya Chan, you will have a wonderful day relaxing under a palapa, floating in the water, snorkeling, kayaking, biking, massages, internet, premium drinks, excellent food and superior service. If you don't want a relaxing day, then Maya Chan isn't for you!

Just returned from Mayan Chan. I agree with the previous posts that it is a very relaxing day. The service was fantastic. Zach, David, Preston and the girl( I am sorry but cannot remember her name) were always there asking you if you needed another drink, more chips, more drinks... There was not much of a beach but what there was, was enough. There were kayaks and floats available.

It is not a place for "doing stuff" but it a great place where there is less crowds and a place to relax. The day we went there was a total of 15 people. I would definitely go back.

We just returned from our Dream cruise and our day at Maya Chan was amazing. I'm not sure why people would say it was over rated. The Dream itinerary was intense with 4 port days in a row, we snorkeled, cave tubed, ziplined, snorkeled some more Maya Chan was the perfect way to unwind, relax and catch our breath! Pearla brought us drinks, chips and quac to die for! Food was amazing! Zack, Preston and Mark were such gracious hosts. We would go back in a heart beat. Our kids, 16 and 12 y/o twin boys loved it. Snorkled off the beach, turtle grass a plenty but saw lots of fish. They enjoyed kayaking too. My husband and I enjoyed our Palapa and beach beds. It was a wonderful day indeed!

Free is the price I like for a beach.:eek:

Free is the price I like for a beach.:eek:

You are in luck... all the beaches in Mexico are free. The area from high tide plus 20 meters more is called the Federal Zone. Now that being said some business pay to "lease' the zone. However, they can not stop anyone from using the beach. As long as you do not use their chairs - help yourself ( a beach towel on the sand).

In all fairness, if you want a stress-free and relaxing time it is worth the little extra money. You will spend less on land than on the ship for the same drinks. Beside you are supporting small business owner who have invested to make money and to make people happy.

You are in luck... all the beaches in Mexico are free. The area from high tide plus 20 meters more is called the Federal Zone. Now that being said some business pay to "lease' the zone. However, they can not stop anyone from using the beach. As long as you do not use their chairs - help yourself ( a beach towel on the sand).

In all fairness, if you want a stress-free and relaxing time it is worth the little extra money. You will spend less on land than on the ship for the same drinks. Beside you are supporting small business owner who have invested to make money and to make people happy.

Definately stress free and they do go out of their way to make people happy! Loved our day there!

We're doing this in October, and I'm so looking forward to it! I'm just wondering how hard it is to get back in the kayak after snorkeling. I'm not the most coordinated or athletic person, but I LOVE snorkeling...but I'm a little worried about being able to get back in the kayak once I get out!

Preston shows you how to do it. When we were there a 20-something girl couldn't get back in, I yelled "Preston!" and he quickly swam over a popped her back in. Don't worry, he'll be there to keep you safe. Everyone else was able to do it on their own. You push down on the front point of the kayak and jump forward. We went to Maya Chan twice and loved it.;)

Archived