Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

Sounds like a great excursion but I'm wondering if it's worth it since we'll only be there from 7am - 3pm.

What do you think? It will be my DH and 7 & 4 yo boys....

We'll be there on Dream in October. From what I've been told they will customize the food times and stuff for the early departure. Luckily when The Dream is there it's the only ship in port that day.

Here you go...have fun planning...;)

FAQs

What if it is raining when we arrive at Maya Chan?

The weather is never a problem for us and it just may be the best stop on the cruise for you! We have previously arranged "Rainy Day Schedule" activities which include Mayan Cooking Classes, Tequila Tasting Seminars, Beer Pong Tournaments, Mangrove Seminars, and the occasional movie or sports program. And the fish don't mind the rain; kayaking and fishing are always an option.

What if the ship does not dock due to weather or scheduling problems?

If the ship does not dock, for whatever reason, your money will be refunded to you in full.

Is this a good place to bring children?

Children are always welcome at Maya Chan Beach, however we do not have a specific program arranged just for the younger cruisers. If notified in advance of your arrival, arrangements can be made for groups of 5 or more children.

What will the weather be like?

It's the tropics, so anything and everything is possible. Frequent rain showers help us maintain water levels in our underground cisterns, however they rarely last more than 5 minutes or so. The constant Caribbean breezes keep the air flowing and helps ward off those hot, balmy temperatures you will find on inland shore excursions. Otherwise, plenty of sunshine and beautiful blue skies.

Will I be expected to tip everybody?

Basic tipping for food, drink, and transportation is included. Of course, our hard working tour guides always appreciate acknowledgement for exceptional service.

Can I take of tour of the ruins and still enjoy Maya Chan Beach?

Most significant ruins on the Costa May are a three hour or more excursion in themselves. Because this would leave very little time to enjoy your day with us, we don't recommend combining the two.

What do I need to bring with me?

Bring a towel, your sunglasses and a bathing suit. And don't forget the sunscreen, although a limited selection is available in our on-site Tienda.

Is Maya Chan Beach a loud party place?

In a word, "No". Maya Chan Beach is a place to enjoy the sound of the gentle waves as they sweep through the reeds and the calls of sea birds as they search for food. Check out our "Groups and Special Events" page if you have different ideas for your larger group.

Do you limit guests?

Yes, we designed the property to have 4 permanent palapas which are reserved on a first come basis when reservations are made. Each can hold 4-8 guests with lounges, chairs, beds etc. We feel that to insure quality we have to set a limit of 40 guests. For largers groups, to reserve the entire property, we can go up to 75 guests. Once all areas are reserved, we will close the reservations for that date.

Do you accept groups?

Yes, Maya Chan Beach was designed for groups. Please call for special pricing for groups over 10 or more. We have facilities for weddings, renewal of vows, birthdays, etc.

Is there a fresh water pool?

We are in the tropics and pride ourselves on the beautiful beaches. Due to the nature of the weather and the fact that we produce our electricity, it would be almost impossible to maintain required cleanliness standards. For this reason, we offer fresh water showers for our patrons.

How is the snorkeling from your beach?

The snorkeling in the entire Costa Maya region is much better at the reef. The water clarity varies each day depending on tides and the wind. This is why we take those that want to snorkel out to the reef on our glass windowed kayaks. All of the ships and local tours take snorkeler to the reef. The reef is just a 5 minute paddle. We help everyone in and out of the kayaks. For those that don't want to kayak, you are welcome to snorkel off the beach.

Do you supply Towels?

No, your cruiseline will supply you with beach towels. All you have to bring is that towel, sunblock, and your normal beach attire. We have fresh water showers, so you may want to bring a change of clothing. We use solar power and don't have laundry facilities. But if you forget one, we do have some available.

Do you have seagrass?

Yes, we are all in a protected habitat along the Yucatan Coastline. It is against the law to remove any growing seagrass from the water. We do continuelly get dead sea grass that floats onto the beach, along with some debris. We continuelly clean the beach throughout the day. However, sometimes, if we have a storm, we get more than we can handle in one day.

Has anyone booked for 2011 yet? We are a party of four, and got a quote for Feb. 22, 2011. The rate quoted was different than is listed on the website. I have e-mailed the owner, but was wondering if your 2011 rate per person was higher than listed. Thanks- we cannot wait!

Has anyone booked for 2011 yet? We are a party of four, and got a quote for Feb. 22, 2011. The rate quoted was different than is listed on the website. I have e-mailed the owner, but was wondering if your 2011 rate per person was higher than listed. Thanks- we cannot wait!

We are a party of six going in Feb, too, and the price is as listed. Maybe you're not including the $10 pp for transportation?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just there. It's nice and friendly. Only about 40-45 people at this location, so this kept the day private. They cater to you well. They come by and get you your dinks, and offer a welcome drink and chips and dips. Lunch was very good.

They also offer massages for extra money. $25.00 for 1/2 hr. and $45 for 1 hour.

We didn't get to kayak or snorkel because of the water conditions. There was lots of sea grass/turtle grass.

I thought (as well as the others on the bus) the transportation to beach place was a tour through the poorest of places on purpose. It seemed like we were on that bus for 45 minutes or so. The ride back was a totally different way and so much faster. Yep, it's a bumpy ride.

This is what I paid. I had questions regarding his charges since they appeared to be different from online, but he explained it below.

Rate: 2@ $ 59.00 2 @ $ 49.00. $ Private Palapa rate.including transporation. Invoice in full.

I gave you our Private Palapa rate. (okay, once I got there every group had there own one, so I don't understand this comment) But I do charge less for the kids. The web shows 1-2 $ 59.00 per person. For a party of 4 w/kids. I charge 2 @ 59.00 2 @ 49.00, which is $ 216.00 including transportation. Four adults would be 4 @ 56.00. or $ 224.00 which is our pergola rate. But with the kids, its still cheaper than the $ 56.00 per person.

Would I go again? I'm not sure. Maybe it because we really didn't get a chance to do the things we really wanted to do like snorkle and kayak.

If you do go again there is a "return customer" rate. We went twice and will go again when we are at that port. Once we had great weather and did all the sports stuff and once the water was murky (after the earthquake in Haiti) so we did all social stuff- what a time we had with the staff and the other cruise passengers! We had 2 very different but very pleasant days.;)

I was just there. It's nice and friendly. Only about 40-45 people at this location, so this kept the day private. They cater to you well. They come by and get you your dinks, and offer a welcome drink and chips and dips. Lunch was very good.

They also offer massages for extra money. $25.00 for 1/2 hr. and $45 for 1 hour.

We didn't get to kayak or snorkel because of the water conditions. There was lots of sea grass/turtle grass.

I thought (as well as the others on the bus) the transportation to beach place was a tour through the poorest of places on purpose. It seemed like we were on that bus for 45 minutes or so. The ride back was a totally different way and so much faster. Yep, it's a bumpy ride.

This is what I paid. I had questions regarding his charges since they appeared to be different from online, but he explained it below.

Rate: 2@ $ 59.00 2 @ $ 49.00. $ Private Palapa rate.including transporation. Invoice in full.

I gave you our Private Palapa rate. (okay, once I got there every group had there own one, so I don't understand this comment) But I do charge less for the kids. The web shows 1-2 $ 59.00 per person. For a party of 4 w/kids. I charge 2 @ 59.00 2 @ 49.00, which is $ 216.00 including transportation. Four adults would be 4 @ 56.00. or $ 224.00 which is our pergola rate. But with the kids, its still cheaper than the $ 56.00 per person.

Would I go again? I'm not sure. Maybe it because we really didn't get a chance to do the things we really wanted to do like snorkle and kayak.

Hmm. The rate he quoted me for 4 people was $62/person. It seems odd that the prices don't match. None of our party of 4 will be drinking, but the snorkeling, kayaking, inexpensive massages, etc. make up for that. I was a tiny nit hesitant at $56/person, but $62 is getting too high. I know that it it our choice not to take advantage of the unlimited alcohol, and that will diminish the "value" somewhat. I've e-mailed Mark to see why the prices don't match. I'll let y'all know what he says. Thanks for the replies!

Hmm. The rate he quoted me for 4 people was $62/person. It seems odd that the prices don't match. None of our party of 4 will be drinking, but the snorkeling, kayaking, inexpensive massages, etc. make up for that. I was a tiny nit hesitant at $56/person, but $62 is getting too high. I know that it it our choice not to take advantage of the unlimited alcohol, and that will diminish the "value" somewhat. I've e-mailed Mark to see why the prices don't match. I'll let y'all know what he says. Thanks for the replies!

That is strange. Mark quoted me $59 per person for 2, as advertised on his website. I would definitely ask him what's up, as you should be $56 per person for 4.

http://www.costamayabeachresort.com/costa-maya-resort-reservations.html

I already got a response after only a few hours and we were quoted $52 total per person including transportation with a private palapa, so I guess there is no charge extra for it but you have to ask for it as it seems to be first come first serve... (there are only 7)

Just FYI - we have 6 people and were quoted $52 per person including transportation "for a private palapa"

I received a response from Mark (copied and pasted from the reply):

Hi, Mary, Spirit2/22. Party of 4. Rate: $ 56.00 per person Private Palapa. Deposit: $ 120.00

We have lowered our top tier rates down to $ 59.00 per person including transportation. We built more structures for our couples so we are able to take more, so we could lower the rate. For all of those that have already paid the higher amount, we have refunded them at the resort. It really makes for a surprise when they arrive.

For our parties of 4, the rate is now $ 56.00 per person as for your group.

I hope that answers your question, if not, email me at anytime,

Cheers,

Mark

--------------

So, cruzin2relax, you should be getting a small refund when you arrive, according to Mark. Sorry to ruin the "surprise". :p Thanks to everyone who responded with their quotes!

You mention two different rates. What is the difference? Also, are there palapas/pergolas for everyone, or just a few? I've seen different answers here. Thanks!

Some are straw palapas and some are wooden structures with cloth inserts as awnings. We have had the pergolas ( the ones with the cloth) and they are fine. There are different prices for a variety of reasons- group rates, return rates, and perhaps the time of the year.;)

They're getting hammered at the moment. Check out the webcam.

http://www.costamayabeachresort.com/costa-maya-resort-information/costa-maya-webcam.html

The webcam keeps shifting positions in the wind, and the image changes every few seconds. Looks like it's a tad windy. There's a canopy top shredded on the ground, and beach grass washed up all the way up to the dining palalpa. I hope for Mark's sake that it's not as bad as it looks from here.

Archived