Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

If you don't see the original van going to Maya Chan when you get off the boat, don't bother talk to people at the port. There's a taxi stand right outside the pier area, it much easier then to hassle with the guys there.

Last year, when we miss the van, they insist we need to take a shuttle bus $3 pp to downtown before we can catch a cab, which is total crap.

I love Maya Chan. But the transportation system can get annoying.

Hi! You just go to "costamayabeachresort.com" and go to the "contact" option. I have Mark's personal e-mail, but I don't know that he would want that given out. Mark checks his e-mails often and will get back to you quickly. ;) We loved it there- once in great weather, so lots of water sports and eating and drinking, and once when the weather was not so good, so lots of social stuff and LOTS of scotch and a great time. I'd show up in the pouring rain! On those days you hang out at the bar playing games and laughing and eating and drinking- for a much better price than you'd pay back on the ship to do the same thing- some rainy days can be great fun. We envy that you get to go there soon. My husband won't leave the states during football season!! ;)

I was at Maya Chan resort at the beginning of November. The only negative is the road out there. It's a mess and it takes awhile to get there.

The water has lots of sea grass so I wouldn't really swim in it but it was fine to float around in. (they have flotation devices).

The staff is lovely, the lunch is fabulous and if you're a drinker plan on getting tanked. I don't drink but our group had alot of fun!!

I also took part in the massage on the beach which was outstanding.

Enjoy!

I finally did it, bit the bullet and started booking our excursions!!! The email alone from them was newsy, nice, and exciting!! We can hardly wait!!! I almost feel like I could post a positive review now instead of after our trip!!!! Well let you know for sure though! woooo hooooo!!

We spent our day at Maya Chan on Nov 25th. Came in on NCL Pearl.

We had a great time. Five Stars! Wonderful caring people. Great day.

We enjoyed how quiet the place actually was. Lots of activities but away from the crowds. Beach Massages for $45.

The bartender and cook totally spoiled us!

LOVED IT! Went on the Norwegian Pearl in November/2010. The staff was excellent. It began raining and they quickly offered full refunds and free transportation back to the ship for anyone wishing to go back. Everyone waited out the rain, and it was worth it. Guacamole...outstanding. Massages were great, and affordable, and the bartender was friendly. Drinks were flowing, and flowing...and flowing. Just stay away from the tropical tea...it'll hurt ya!:D

We spent 11/25/10 @ Maya Chan. This was our favorite day of the cruise. My DH and I (40's) , 2 children (6 & 9) and 2 parents (mid 70's) and all had a great time. It exceeded our expectations.

Transportation directions were easy to follow and just as they had described it. Somewhat bumpy ride, but the driver drove slow and carefully. The set-up is fabulous and we had a quiet, shaded Palapa. There were other groups there but we had lots of privacy for our group. We loved the activities that were included-the bike riding and kayaking (we missed the golf but it sounded like people were having fun). All the staff were kind but we were especially impressed with Preston and Pearl. Preston provided lots of information about the area on our bike ride that we found very interesting. All of the stafff went above and beyond in anticipating what you needed. The food was delicious, great variety of tasty drinks. My Husband and Father were thrilled about the free Wi-Fi. The water clarity was not great due to recent rains but it was better then what we are used to. There was some sea grass but that was not an issue for us-(people who get upset b/c there are things in the ocean really make me laugh). The girls snorkeled and swam while Mommy watched while floating around with a frothy drink. The staff found them some sea creatures (giant starfish and conch) and cut open a coconut for them to sip.

The setting is just so beautiful and natural. Maya Chan was perfectly balanced in terms of not being formal, but making you feel comfortable and spoiled. To us it was heaven and we will definately be back if we return to Costa Maya.

I was at Maya Chan on November 29 and had a wonderful time. Mark and Jane, the owners are wonderful people and can't do enough for you. The rest of the staff is great too, including Preston and Perla. The grounds are kept in wonderful condtion. It has sort of a Gilligan's Island rustic look but everything is comfortable. I was part of a large Norwegian Epic group so we actually rode out to Maya Chan by bus. The driver was extremely careful so the ride wasn't bumpy, just slow to avoid potholes. The return ride was by taxis in groups of 3 and our driver was terrific. As for the day at Maya Chan, I didn't want to leave (I left with the last group at 4:30 pm). As everyone else has reported the drinks and food are plentiful and delicious. Mark suggested tasting the local beer and it is great. Their internet access came in handy too. As for the beach, the turtle grass didn't bother me (I wore water shoes) but the water is very, very shallow so you can only float. Swimming is impossible. Oh, well, you can't have everything. I had a 1 hour massage and that was truly heaven. This is as good as it gets in Costa Maya folks, so you should have no qualms about going.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Western Caribbean on LOS. The highlight was our day at Maya Chan. the hosts, Mark and Jane were simply delightful and worked very hard to make sure everyone had a good time.

The food was the BEST as were the drinks.

The ride out was not as bad as some make it out to be. the roads are bad, but the bus driver we had was very good. Don't let the words about the horrible ride out to paradise sway you!

I'd walk if I had to!

We just returned from Western Caribbean on LOS. The highlight was our day at Maya Chan. the hosts, Mark and Jane were simply delightful and worked very hard to make sure everyone had a good time.

The food was the BEST as were the drinks.

The ride out was not as bad as some make it out to be. the roads are bad, but the bus driver we had was very good. Don't let the words about the horrible ride out to paradise sway you!

I'd walk if I had to!

We're signed up, but I'm concerned about one of our friends who is scheduled to have back surgery shortly before the cruise. If he is able to even go on the cruise, do you think the ride would be too jolting for him? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Maya Chan on Sunday (12/26) and it was the most wonderful day! There were 4 of us, my husband and I, and our two daughters (21 and 24). We followed Mark's instructions for finding the taxi and had no problem whatsoever. The van driver gave us a mini-tour of the area as we headed out to Maya Chan. Yes, the road is bumpy, but it's not a problem at all. We got off the ship at 9AM ship's time- we did not set the clocks back so it was an hour earlier in Costa Maya. The cab left at 9:25. It took us about 25 minutes to get out there, because you drive slowly, but it was not a reason to miss this fantastic place!

When we arrived, at about 10AM (ship's time) Preston took each group to their private palapa, which consisted of a beach bed, a hammock, a table and 4 chairs. Since it was quite chilly we headed to some lounge chairs in the sun and were brought rum punch and fruit cups. My husband was going to scuba dive (also arranged by Mark) and the boat came to pick him up about a half hour after we arrived. Preston came over and gave us a list of the activities of the day (beach bike trip, kayaking and snorkeling, mini golf) and asked if we wanted to participate. We opted not to, but saw many people enjoying themselves throughout the day. He also told us that lunch would be served at noon (C.M. time) but drinks and snacks would be available soon. Behind us the massage tables were set up and the girls got theirs first, then I went. While I was getting my massage (which was wonderful, btw!) my husband came back for his 45 minute between dives break. The girls had ordered margaritas and chips with salsa and guacamole and all was delicious. We sat around relaxing until lunch was served.

All I can say about the lunch was WOW!! It was some of the best Mexican food we had ever eaten! Freshly made tortillas, fish, steak and chicken, beans... I could go on about the tortillas forever! And more drinks!

Preston told us that there were 36 people at Maya Chan that day, but you would never have known. The beach is spread out and people ate at different times, so it never seemed crowded.

The service was excellent. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful everyone was.

Hopefully we will return to Costa Maya in the future and be able to visit Maya Chan again. I recommend them highly!

We were at Maya Chan on Dec 7th and had a great time. I'd posted a review in a separate thread, but it has been pulled. Guess someone thought it was advertising. :mad: Anyway, this is great place with great people and we would not hesitate in the least going back there and recommending that spot for all our friends. :D:D:D

I have booked Maya Chan for our family group of 12 in March. I told Mark about my 11 month old baby and he said if I emailed him just before our cruise he would make arrangements for a car seat to be available; that they have had many baby visitors - Just wanted to see if anyone that posts on here had the same request and how it worked out?

Thanks! :)

We were at Maya Chan on Sunday (12/26) and it was the most wonderful day! There were 4 of us, my husband and I, and our two daughters (21 and 24). We followed Mark's instructions for finding the taxi and had no problem whatsoever. The van driver gave us a mini-tour of the area as we headed out to Maya Chan. Yes, the road is bumpy, but it's not a problem at all. We got off the ship at 9AM ship's time- we did not set the clocks back so it was an hour earlier in Costa Maya. The cab left at 9:25. It took us about 25 minutes to get out there, because you drive slowly, but it was not a reason to miss this fantastic place!

When we arrived, at about 10AM (ship's time) Preston took each group to their private palapa, which consisted of a beach bed, a hammock, a table and 4 chairs. Since it was quite chilly we headed to some lounge chairs in the sun and were brought rum punch and fruit cups. My husband was going to scuba dive (also arranged by Mark) and the boat came to pick him up about a half hour after we arrived. Preston came over and gave us a list of the activities of the day (beach bike trip, kayaking and snorkeling, mini golf) and asked if we wanted to participate. We opted not to, but saw many people enjoying themselves throughout the day. He also told us that lunch would be served at noon (C.M. time) but drinks and snacks would be available soon. Behind us the massage tables were set up and the girls got theirs first, then I went. While I was getting my massage (which was wonderful, btw!) my husband came back for his 45 minute between dives break. The girls had ordered margaritas and chips with salsa and guacamole and all was delicious. We sat around relaxing until lunch was served.

All I can say about the lunch was WOW!! It was some of the best Mexican food we had ever eaten! Freshly made tortillas, fish, steak and chicken, beans... I could go on about the tortillas forever! And more drinks!

Preston told us that there were 36 people at Maya Chan that day, but you would never have known. The beach is spread out and people ate at different times, so it never seemed crowded.

The service was excellent. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful everyone was.

Hopefully we will return to Costa Maya in the future and be able to visit Maya Chan again. I recommend them highly!

Thanks for the review Lisa, my family and I will be visiting Maya Chan next Thursday. I showed your post to my brother and his wife who are first time cruisers... needless to say they are very excited... I hope our visit is as wonderful as yours!!

Thanks for the review Lisa, my family and I will be visiting Maya Chan next Thursday. I showed your post to my brother and his wife who are first time cruisers... needless to say they are very excited... I hope our visit is as wonderful as yours!!

I'm sure you'll love it! I hope it's a little warmer when you go!

Make sure you have a tortilla and a margarita for me!!

Have fun!

I'm sure you'll love it! I hope it's a little warmer when you go!

Make sure you have a tortilla and a margarita for me!!

Have fun!

I am just about ready to suggest the resort to our family for our Feb cruise but I am a little concerned about paying up front and then ending up with crappy weather. How was the snorkeling? Most of our group is looking forward to decent snorkeling at each port.

Nita

I am just about ready to suggest the resort to our family for our Feb cruise but I am a little concerned about paying up front and then ending up with crappy weather. How was the snorkeling? Most of our group is looking forward to decent snorkeling at each port.

Nita

Nita, in order to snorkel, you are going to have to go out on Maya Chan's snorkeling trip (which is included). You kayak out past the reef. Mark has a weather policy you might want to ask him about. That would take care of an uneasiness you may have about paying upfront.

If the weather is REALLY crappy Mark will refund the money for those who choose not to stay, but the ones who do stay will have a great time hanging out at the bar, playing games and talking with the Ostrows, guests, and the staff. Back on the ship you'd have to be indoors as well, and there the food may not be as good, and the drinks would certainly be more $$. ;)

I agree about the weather. We had a terrific time even though it wasn't hot and sunny. I just wish we'd brought our warmer clothing- then it wouldn't have been an issue at all. The captain of the Radiance gave a weather report of mid-70s and sunny, so we went off without our jackets. Silly us!

As for snorkeling, many people went out when we were there. My husband went diving and said the water was pleasant.

I'm hoping to get back to Maya Chan next year!

Nita, in order to snorkel, you are going to have to go out on Maya Chan's snorkeling trip (which is included). You kayak out past the reef. Mark has a weather policy you might want to ask him about. That would take care of an uneasiness you may have about paying upfront.

we took the plunge (no pun intended) and just booked 2 for Maya Chan's. We will have more in our group I am sure, plus lots from our CC Meet and Greet are using Maya Chan's.

NIta

Archived