Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

We were just at Maya Chan on 3/30 and it was quite safe. They have several staff and many of the palapas are a bit private. We left our cameras and other things and went in the water. I do not see a problem there.

We were just at Maya Chan on 3/30 and it was quite safe. They have several staff and many of the palapas are a bit private. We left our cameras and other things and went in the water. I do not see a problem there.

That's awesome, thanks!

We were at Maya Chan in January and plan to return in June. There is absolutely nothing bad or ugly about this resort. It is wonderful. Great food, great drinks, and excellent service. Very fun beach escape. Have a good time!

Hi!

I see this mentioned on lots of roll calls. Anyone been there that can give us the "good, bad and ugly" of it?

http://www.mayachanbeach.com/

Thanks,

Danielle

I will be visiting the Maya Chan in two weeks. They have communicated with me very well and my family is very excited. My husband and daughter love to be busy so they are looking forward to bikes and kayaks. I am looking forward to reading, a massage and maybe a snorkel!

The only negative I hear is about the water being cloudy and beach grass. I figure that is the way it is there...anyone been there lately that can tell us how its been? I am happy either way..we keep getting hit with snow showers so ANY beach will make me happy right now! I can't even picture 80 degrees and sun:eek:

The turtle grass is just a fact of nature on the Costa Maya coast. The water is sometimes cloudy depending on storms out at sea, so there is nothing to be done about that! The grass is in clumps and can be avoided. It's not like you come out of the ocean with it clinging to you! We went to Maya Chan twice, once in great weather and once, with so-so weather. Both times were great. The first time was sporty with a little social stuff, the 2nd time was a day of social fun and over-indulging. You can have whatever kind of day that suits you. Be sure to use the computers at the bar to post on CC while you are actually there! You will make us all so jealous!;);)

We will be there next Tue, and I agree--communication Maya Chan has been wonderful & easy! iphones--they have wifi at Maya Chan, will we have huge charges on our phone if we use the wifi for some kind of roaming?

I will be visiting the Maya Chan in two weeks. They have communicated with me very well and my family is very excited. My husband and daughter love to be busy so they are looking forward to bikes and kayaks. I am looking forward to reading, a massage and maybe a snorkel!

The only negative I hear is about the water being cloudy and beach grass. I figure that is the way it is there...anyone been there lately that can tell us how its been? I am happy either way..we keep getting hit with snow showers so ANY beach will make me happy right now! I can't even picture 80 degrees and sun:eek:

Having just been there and we brought our snorkel gear, just observations to avoid disappointment. This area is SHALLOW!! You would have to go far out (or contact them for someone to take you snorkeling). Depending on the wind, eel grass in addition to the shallows does not even provide an opportunity to snorkel. Shallow as in up to your knees.

They are more than accomodating. One guest requested to dive and they had a local boat pick her up and drop her off at the beach. That is an option, but I would not go there thinking you could snorkel off of their beach. I hope that you have a great time. It is a wonderful place!!

Imagine total relaxation. This is a rustic place with great service, fantastic food, and abundant drinks. My husband is a bourban drinker...he had to settle for Jack Daniels...poor, poor man. Lots to do if you want. If the weather is great, there are water activities, biking, beach games, etc. If not, I hope you get "adopted" like my husband was! We were ther twice. In great weather and not. I love it there and we plan a return as soon as our medical situation clears up. You will love the people. Mark, Jane, and David are fantastic. Preston was my hero. All the other people working there are personable and great at their jobs. Use the computers set up at the bar to contact friends and family back home, check your e-mail, and then post to us on CC--let us know what the drink of the day is...try Mark's manhattan. Whatever you do, you will feel like you have made lifelong friends- that's the kind of people they are. Have fun. ;)

Just back from our western caribbean cruise on the Carnival Dream. Spent our Costa Maya day at the Maya Chan beach. Can not possibly say enough good things about this beach, staff, drinks or food.

You will find turtle grass in the ocean in patches which you certainly can avoid. As for the water being murky, it wasn't while we were there. We had a beautiful sunny day and the water was clear. It is shallow but because it was shallow, the adults in our party of 6 were comfortable enough to relax in the floaty chairs.

This is a great place to spend a relaxing day in the water (sitting in the floaty chairs provided) while staff deliver drinks right to you. I'm not joking, Zack delivered many drinks to myself (walking out into the water) while I relaxed in the ocean soaking up some rays.

Would definitely return here! This is now one of our new fav hot spots to visit.

I'm getting ready to book this for our trip next month. I've seen some prices posted here, including someone that said they booked a family of 5 for $30 each! Our group rate for 11 of us is $50+. What should I expect to pay? Should I be trying to negotiate?

With Cha-Chi re-opened by the pier (free entry), paying $600 for this beach resort is seaming a little less attractive.

Mike, did you end up going to this resort? I'm thinking of booking it.

I have booked Maya Chan for our family group of 12 in March. I told Mark about my 11 month old baby and he said if I emailed him just before our cruise he would make arrangements for a car seat to be available; that they have had many baby visitors - Just wanted to see if anyone that posts on here had the same request and how it worked out?

Thanks! :)

This is great to know. We have a 3 year old we will be bringing with us and was wondering about car seats for the rides to and from there.

I've tried to read most of all of the post, but starting skimming over things after awhile (this is a very long thread).

Do they have life vest for little ones or should I bring my own?

Are the little ones (3 yrs) able to get in the canoes to go out to the snorkeling area. I'm thinking maybe dad can stay in it while mom goes in the water and vice versa. Is it hard to get back up in the canoe from the water without tipping it with a little one in there?

I was wondering about the pot holes and bumpy roads...are they still fixed?

This sounds like a wonderful place. We just sent Mark a reservation late last night (saturday) and he has already emailed us back today (sunday) Wow, that was fast!

When he says that he will reserve a palapa, how do you know what you are getting? I've seen several different post stating there are ones with the beds, one's with the chairs and one's with the hammocks.

You need to e-mail Mark and tell him about your concerns- he will address them all. Just tell him what kind of area would suit your group the best. These people are lovely. Born hosts. They want you to be so happy that you won't want to go back to the cruise ship. He will advise you about the practicality of kayaking with a toddler and about fun times to be had by people of all ages. Have fun.;)

We loved Maya Chan! We are headed to Bermuda, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Turks & Caicos in July. Does anyone know of anything similar to Maya Chan at any of those islands?

If you're headed to Grand Turk, it's very tiny. There's the beach alongside the dock on either side, there is also Margarittaville that has activities and is alot of fun. By no means is it as serene as Maya Chan. I personally don't know if anything like that exists, but we had a great time in Grand Turk

Archived