Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

ViewfromthePalapa.jpg

Imagine you are on your (1st, 5th, 10th, 80th, whatever) cruise, and the cruise ship is scheduled to make a port of call at Costa Maya in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.

In your research into the possible shore excursions for that area, you find that you can go snorkeling or scuba, or take out a kayak for some reef exploration. Perhaps you want to see some wildlife and get some candid photos of the flora and fauna of the area. Or maybe you simply want to lie out on the beach, soaking up the sun… the good cheer, the good food and drink and the ambiance of the area. All can be found here, and in various places, AND prices, around the port or local countryside.

Instead of racing to and fro between excursions trying to accomplish it all, why not try one place… and entertain all the possibilities of the above for one price? That place is Maya Chan.

BeachShot3.jpg

Maya Chan is a laid back, clean and tourist safe beach resort that is family owned and operated by Mark, Jane, and their son David. They and their extended family have combined the adventure of a visit to the beach with some of the best food and drink, fellowship and common sense to be found on the Yucatan.

Mark and Jane, with 80+ cruises under their belts, became disillusioned with the locales that they had visited during their numerous cruise shore excursions and decided to start a place that would cater to their vision of a “perfect beach”. That they would offer this beach to cruisers looking for the same thing indicates a common sense approach to satisfy a need they saw in the cruising world. That they have been able to pull it off shows the fruition of a savvy business vision that will only get better with time.

Mark and Jane are joined by their son, David as the resort’s management team. David is a very outgoing young man who is tall, dark haired, sharp as a tack and heir apparent to this wonderful resort. Ladies, need I say more?

A short note on how to make a reservation for Maya Chan: Once you have confirmed your date of the Costa Maya port of call, and you decide to visit the Maya Chan all inclusive beach resort, simply go to the link and make a reservation. Bear in mind, that the list will fill quickly so be timely in your reservation as the daily list is limited to about 30-40 people, (check with Mark to be sure). On the cruise, once your ship arrives in port, simply walk down to the end of the pier, look for the Maya Chan representative, and you’ll be placed on a bus/van/ or taxi to take you out to the resort. The fare is covered by your resort admission price, as is the return trip. You will be met by one of the resort’s team when you exit the taxi and begin your beach adventure. If you are not sure you would enjoy Maya Chan, I hope my observations will change your mind. Read on!

2010Cruise039.jpg

The management team’s extended family consists of some of the hardest working, full time “beach bums” that I’ve ever encountered. There is Zach, who is the resort’s athletic director and unofficial “beach clown” who meets and greets everyone as they enter the resort from the taxi or bus. He also sets up the kayak and snorkeling excursions out to the local reef. He will assign you your rest area, be it a palapa, a chaise lounge, etc. and begin to help you “decompress” from your journey. He accomplishes this by means of his timely humor and a concoction delivered to you that he simply calls the “Maya Chan Breakfast”. It is a rum punch that will certainly wet the whistle and makes the promise of better things to come. Be sure to ask him how he acquired his Beer Sunglasses!

Zach is joined by the bartender who goes by the name of Hugo and is the resident “intoxicologist”. He is quick to serve some of the best local brews of the area to include Corona, Model, Montejo and Victoria. His talents also include making some of the best mixed drinks on the Yucatan!

Also part of the team is Preston, who will help you with your shore visits, via either bicycle or on foot. (He was very helpful to me in trying to track down some wildlife to photograph the day we visited, yet the crocs were shy that day!) He also indicated to me a good place to stop for some photos is what I call the Red River, which you cross as you travel down the road to Maya Chan. The red is caused by the tannins in the local trees that leech out into the fresh water basin and ultimately to the sea. Lots of birds and fish co-mingle there.

The pretty lil senorita is Perla, who will help to serve your drinks, food and attend to your general psyche by lighting up the place with her ever present smile. All sorts of kudos MUST go to the cook, Lulu. The aromas that wafted out of the kitchen and grill I’m sure cause mouth-watering from the people for miles around!

There is plenty to offer a cruising vacationer for the price. If you want to lounge around on the beach, there are chaise lounges for that very thing. Some are under sturdily built palapas; others offer a more simplistic rotational beach umbrella. The water is warm, near and safe, with the reef being several yards off the shoreline, allowing the breakers to roll gently onto the beach. With the use of float seats, included in the price of admission, one can sit out in the gentle swells and relax till the cows come home. David, and others of the team I’m sure, are capable of bringing a smile to your face whilst they serve a cold drink to you in the surf.

DavidServingBrewskis.jpg

For the more adventurous there is snorkeling/kayaking out to the reef, using the glass bottom kayaks which are easy to operate and are provided by the resort. If you want to scuba on the reef, simply mention that to Mark and he will set up qualified open water instructors for a nominal extra fee.

The food? What about the food, you ask? The food is authentic Yucatan bill of fare and is both hearty and tasty with lots to dive into! Beef, chicken, tortillas, pico de gallo, rice, sour cream and on and on! And that magnificent lunch comes after David, Zach and Perla provide you with an appetizer about mid-morning consisting of chips, pico de gallo and what my wife calls the BEST guacamole dip she has ever had!

2010Cruise046.jpg

And for those who partake of the spirits a little, I have a story of interest: I had been told before-hand about the best tequilas and local beers to try upon my arrival in Mexico. As it turns out, those opinions from well-meaning folks here were actually out of synch with what I found to be true in the local environment.

With that in mind, and in the interest of pure research I might add, Mark offered both his establishment AND his in-depth knowledge of the output of the Mexican breweries and agave distilleries for a scientific experiment. This experiment not only introduced me to the local brews, for which one can quickly develop a taste for…but also to the taste, texture and kick butt quality of various tequilas that he had available for sampling. Each was progressively smoother and distinctive in taste until we ultimately settled on the blue agave blanco called Antiguo Origen Tequila Reposado. This is an “especial tequila”, which was kept in the freezer and served via a slender tequila shot glass with a slice of lime for taste and decoration. I was honored that Mark offered his expertise and friendly persuasion to help me decide which tequilas should cross my palate by taking the time to enjoy them with me. (Although I’m sure Jane still thinks he did it to get out of the afternoon’s work!)

themainbuilding.jpg

Regrettably, the time for leaving came all too soon as we packed up to leave for the cruise ship. I complimented Mark, Jane and the incredible crew for their splendiferous service and thanked them for a wonderful afternoon. I had a need to decompress and was very happy that I had found a safe, pleasant and enjoyable place to do so. I can definitely say that on all future cruises to the area, I’ll have Maya Chan on the excursion calendar!

Thank you everyone for the great information. We were trying to find a beach to go to and will be making reservations. Can you tell me how long does this excursion last?

You can leave whenever you want as you have your own taxi to go back in. Maya Chan will ask you what time you want the taxi. It is included in the cost though a tip to the driver is appreciated and expected.

You get off the ship as soon as you can, walk through the mall area and down the street where someone from Maya Chan will be waiting to check your name off the list and put you into a cab or van. You leave Maya Chan about an hour before your ship sails (earlier if you want to shop- we stayed as long as possible). You will love it there- a laid-back, rustic beach bum hang-out with great people, and food and drink. Fun, fun times even if the weather turns bad.;)

we took the plunge (no pun intended) and just booked 2 for Maya Chan's. We will have more in our group I am sure, plus lots from our CC Meet and Greet are using Maya Chan's.

NIta

You are going to have SOOOO much fun!! It is just amazing. If you have time, get on one of the bikes and start riding down the road. Lot's of real estate for sale and fun things to look at!!! Enjoy!!!!

ViewfromthePalapa.jpg

Imagine you are on your (1st, 5th, 10th, 80th, whatever) cruise, and the cruise ship is scheduled to make a port of call at Costa Maya in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.

In your research into the possible shore excursions for that area, you find that you can go snorkeling or scuba, or take out a kayak for some reef exploration. Perhaps you want to see some wildlife and get some candid photos of the flora and fauna of the area. Or maybe you simply want to lie out on the beach, soaking up the sun… the good cheer, the good food and drink and the ambiance of the area. All can be found here, and in various places, AND prices, around the port or local countryside.

Instead of racing to and fro between excursions trying to accomplish it all, why not try one place… and entertain all the possibilities of the above for one price? That place is Maya Chan.

BeachShot3.jpg

Maya Chan is a laid back, clean and tourist safe beach resort that is family owned and operated by Mark, Jane, and their son David. They and their extended family have combined the adventure of a visit to the beach with some of the best food and drink, fellowship and common sense to be found on the Yucatan.

Mark and Jane, with 80+ cruises under their belts, became disillusioned with the locales that they had visited during their numerous cruise shore excursions and decided to start a place that would cater to their vision of a “perfect beach”. That they would offer this beach to cruisers looking for the same thing indicates a common sense approach to satisfy a need they saw in the cruising world. That they have been able to pull it off shows the fruition of a savvy business vision that will only get better with time.

Mark and Jane are joined by their son, David as the resort’s management team. David is a very outgoing young man who is tall, dark haired, sharp as a tack and heir apparent to this wonderful resort. Ladies, need I say more?

A short note on how to make a reservation for Maya Chan: Once you have confirmed your date of the Costa Maya port of call, and you decide to visit the Maya Chan all inclusive beach resort, simply go to the link and make a reservation. Bear in mind, that the list will fill quickly so be timely in your reservation as the daily list is limited to about 30-40 people, (check with Mark to be sure). On the cruise, once your ship arrives in port, simply walk down to the end of the pier, look for the Maya Chan representative, and you’ll be placed on a bus/van/ or taxi to take you out to the resort. The fare is covered by your resort admission price, as is the return trip. You will be met by one of the resort’s team when you exit the taxi and begin your beach adventure. If you are not sure you would enjoy Maya Chan, I hope my observations will change your mind. Read on!

2010Cruise039.jpg

The management team’s extended family consists of some of the hardest working, full time “beach bums” that I’ve ever encountered. There is Zach, who is the resort’s athletic director and unofficial “beach clown” who meets and greets everyone as they enter the resort from the taxi or bus. He also sets up the kayak and snorkeling excursions out to the local reef. He will assign you your rest area, be it a palapa, a chaise lounge, etc. and begin to help you “decompress” from your journey. He accomplishes this by means of his timely humor and a concoction delivered to you that he simply calls the “Maya Chan Breakfast”. It is a rum punch that will certainly wet the whistle and makes the promise of better things to come. Be sure to ask him how he acquired his Beer Sunglasses!

Zach is joined by the bartender who goes by the name of Hugo and is the resident “intoxicologist”. He is quick to serve some of the best local brews of the area to include Corona, Model, Montejo and Victoria. His talents also include making some of the best mixed drinks on the Yucatan!

Also part of the team is Preston, who will help you with your shore visits, via either bicycle or on foot. (He was very helpful to me in trying to track down some wildlife to photograph the day we visited, yet the crocs were shy that day!) He also indicated to me a good place to stop for some photos is what I call the Red River, which you cross as you travel down the road to Maya Chan. The red is caused by the tannins in the local trees that leech out into the fresh water basin and ultimately to the sea. Lots of birds and fish co-mingle there.

The pretty lil senorita is Perla, who will help to serve your drinks, food and attend to your general psyche by lighting up the place with her ever present smile. All sorts of kudos MUST go to the cook, Lulu. The aromas that wafted out of the kitchen and grill I’m sure cause mouth-watering from the people for miles around!

There is plenty to offer a cruising vacationer for the price. If you want to lounge around on the beach, there are chaise lounges for that very thing. Some are under sturdily built palapas; others offer a more simplistic rotational beach umbrella. The water is warm, near and safe, with the reef being several yards off the shoreline, allowing the breakers to roll gently onto the beach. With the use of float seats, included in the price of admission, one can sit out in the gentle swells and relax till the cows come home. David, and others of the team I’m sure, are capable of bringing a smile to your face whilst they serve a cold drink to you in the surf.

DavidServingBrewskis.jpg

For the more adventurous there is snorkeling/kayaking out to the reef, using the glass bottom kayaks which are easy to operate and are provided by the resort. If you want to scuba on the reef, simply mention that to Mark and he will set up qualified open water instructors for a nominal extra fee.

The food? What about the food, you ask? The food is authentic Yucatan bill of fare and is both hearty and tasty with lots to dive into! Beef, chicken, tortillas, pico de gallo, rice, sour cream and on and on! And that magnificent lunch comes after David, Zach and Perla provide you with an appetizer about mid-morning consisting of chips, pico de gallo and what my wife calls the BEST guacamole dip she has ever had!

2010Cruise046.jpg

And for those who partake of the spirits a little, I have a story of interest: I had been told before-hand about the best tequilas and local beers to try upon my arrival in Mexico. As it turns out, those opinions from well-meaning folks here were actually out of synch with what I found to be true in the local environment.

With that in mind, and in the interest of pure research I might add, Mark offered both his establishment AND his in-depth knowledge of the output of the Mexican breweries and agave distilleries for a scientific experiment. This experiment not only introduced me to the local brews, for which one can quickly develop a taste for…but also to the taste, texture and kick butt quality of various tequilas that he had available for sampling. Each was progressively smoother and distinctive in taste until we ultimately settled on the blue agave blanco called Antiguo Origen Tequila Reposado. This is an “especial tequila”, which was kept in the freezer and served via a slender tequila shot glass with a slice of lime for taste and decoration. I was honored that Mark offered his expertise and friendly persuasion to help me decide which tequilas should cross my palate by taking the time to enjoy them with me. (Although I’m sure Jane still thinks he did it to get out of the afternoon’s work!)

themainbuilding.jpg

Regrettably, the time for leaving came all too soon as we packed up to leave for the cruise ship. I complimented Mark, Jane and the incredible crew for their splendiferous service and thanked them for a wonderful afternoon. I had a need to decompress and was very happy that I had found a safe, pleasant and enjoyable place to do so. I can definitely say that on all future cruises to the area, I’ll have Maya Chan on the excursion calendar!

Thanks so much for the pictures!! I have many of the same. In fact, we had the same papala! I took the most magnificent nap on that little bed!!! Wasn't it just amazing? I want to be there NOW!!!

Without repeating what was said so well by previous posters, I wanted to agree that our day at Maya Chan on Thursday, January 6th was wonderful. We were in a group aging from 2 to 78 and everyone had the best day!! Everything that was said is true!! One thing I would like to pass on is that the road is fixed and there are NO problems getting there! Preston told us that we were lucky as it was just fixed recently... so if anyone was discouraged by the tales of the road there, you can forget those worries and book the best day of your cruise!! The staff is amazing and make you feel like you never want to leave!! (well... I did come in last place in the sand wedge golf tournament and Zack threatened to sacrifice me! LOL) Book them early, you will not be disappointed!!

We also spent a day at Maya Chan last week. Our group ranged in age from 18-83 and all had a blast. My only complaint was that there was not enough time to do everything. The ride to Maya Chan was fine, roads have been repaired. It only took about 15-20 minutes. Plenty of shade for those that can't sit in the sun. Went kayaking and snorkeling. Food was great - service fabulous. They even brought drinks to those floating in the water. We had other great shore excursions but this is the only one that we all agreed we would do again.

Without repeating what was said so well by previous posters, I wanted to agree that our day at Maya Chan on Thursday, January 6th was wonderful. We were in a group aging from 2 to 78 and everyone had the best day!! Everything that was said is true!! One thing I would like to pass on is that the road is fixed and there are NO problems getting there! Preston told us that we were lucky as it was just fixed recently... so if anyone was discouraged by the tales of the road there, you can forget those worries and book the best day of your cruise!! The staff is amazing and make you feel like you never want to leave!! (well... I did come in last place in the sand wedge golf tournament and Zack threatened to sacrifice me! LOL) Book them early, you will not be disappointed!!

When did they start the golf? That's something new. I'm glad they finally got the road fixed. How was the Pearl, we'll be on in barely 2 weeks and can't wait.

When did they start the golf? That's something new. I'm glad they finally got the road fixed. How was the Pearl, we'll be on in barely 2 weeks and can't wait.

I think a few weeks ago, that is what the email said that I got just before we sailed. It was a lot of fun!!

The Pearl was in very good shape... loved every minute of our cruise!!! If you have some specific questions, let me know.

I have been to Maya Chan 3X's now....April, just a few months after they opened and again in Nov and Dec and already booked my 4th time for this March . The place is absolutely great...staff is wonderful. These guys can't do enough for you....drinks flow freely...NEVER watered down and Hugo will make you just about anything you want....food is absolutely fantastic....some of the best Guac I have had....Perla is a great cook and will make sure you never go hungry. If you want to be removed from the masses and enjoy a bit more of a rustic beach environment then this is the place to go. You can come and go as you please and taxi fare is included....no need to wait around and go as a group....just get off the ship and grab the first taxi you see and tell them you want to go to Maya Chan....no need to even discuss price....the staff pays the taxi fare when you get there. They have volleyball, bikes to ride, snorkeling, kayaks to use....and all this is included in the price....they will even wait on you and bring you drinks as you float in the water:cool::D They also offer at very reasonable prices, massages and scuba diving....just let them know ahead for the scuba diving.

Now the realistic points to know. Cost Maya doesn't have stretches of sugar white beaches....while the beach is very nice at Maya Chan it's more of a natural rustic beach that may at times have some seaweed....staff does do a very good job of raking it....but if you are looking for flawless pristine Disney-like beaches, you wouldn't find them anywhere in Costa Maya. As for the water...I have been there when it's crystal clear and I have been there when it was all murky and stirred up.....this is something that only mother nature can control......Costa Maya can get very windy at times and stir the water up pretty much making a murky mess.....Maya Chan is not the only place this happens at....it will happen at just about any beach in Costs Maya....you can have good weather days and bad weather days...just like any other port you visit. BUT the one thing that never changes at Maya Chan is it's wonderful staff and service:) As far as where you get to sit....Mark is very fare at this and books seating on a first come first DEPOSIT basis. In all honesty, there isn't a bad spot but if you want one of the Palapas, then the earlier you book the better the chances....but like I said....there isn't a bad spot and if want shade you can have it or sun if you want.

Enjoy whatever you decide:)

My husband and I were just at Maya Chan last week. There was only a group of about 20 of us there so it felt extremely private. The staff is incredible: very friendly, always seeing if people are comfortable, needed anything: food or drinks. The palapas are unlike anything we have experienced before!!!! They are huge with plenty of shade, and contain chairs, a bed, and a hammock. It feels like paradise. Too bad the weather wasn't all that great, and the ocean was murky, but that's mother nature. This is a great excursion for Costa Maya, and if we ever are at this port again, we would definitely choose to come to Maya Chan again!

• 2 weeks later...
I just realized that I am going to be at Maya Chan for St Patty's Day:cool:....can't think of a better place to spend it:DExtra GREEN guacamole that day.....they make the BEST!!! :)

Wow, that does sound like the perfect place to celebrate St. Patrick's Day (or any other day for that matter)... we were there on Jan 6th... I keep sending my brother (who was with me) links to the web cam to rub in how great the place is while we are buried in snow!! Enjoy!!!!

Wow, that does sound like the perfect place to celebrate St. Patrick's Day (or any other day for that matter)... we were there on Jan 6th... I keep sending my brother (who was with me) links to the web cam to rub in how great the place is while we are buried in snow!! Enjoy!!!!

THANKS!!!!

Isn't the web cam great:)....I always post the link to it on Facebook when I am there:D....oh yea.....and they have free WiFi and even a laptop at the bar to use....how great is that:cool:

Saw this nice Maya Chan review over in the NCL section written byy CCer "megalodon":

"Costa Maya: Best beach day EVER! Based on CC recommendations we booked the day at Maya Chan. Although it came highly recommended, none of the descriptions I’ve read truly described what Maya Chan is so here goes: Maya Chan consists of a bar and a small buffet with snacks (chips and guacamole and salsa) and lunch (tacos – fish, chicken, beef). It is not a resort where people spend the night as far as I could tell. It is more like a beach club for the day. The main building with the bar and the food also has beautiful, clean bathrooms for people who care about such things. But what sets Maya Chan apart is that it is located on about 2 blocks of beachfront property – they set you up with your own thatched grass umbrella, beach chairs, a bed if you want it, kayaks, floaty chairs, a “golf course” – all inclusive. Don’t make plans to snorkel here. While they can lead you on a tour (maybe if they remember – Jimmy kept “forgetting” to take me and I didn’t have much luck on my own) to see some coral, there is mostly clear water and sea grass at Maya Chan. However, as important as snorkeling is to me, I counted this day as my favorite Caribbean stop – EVER. Something about these guys and their hospitality made it the most pleasant, relaxing day – kind of out of my dreams. Something about good food, tequila shots, clear water, floaty chairs, drinking tequila shots in floaty chairs, guys wading out to you with fruit smoothies and MORE tequila…you get the picture… they’re easy to find if you just google Maya Chan you’ll get a link to their facility. Go. There were 10 of us at the busiest time of the day. I think the whole day – tequila shots and all – cost $60 including transport to and from the ship. I did not want to leave this place."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1347014

For me personally, it is still probably my all time favorite Caribbean excursion.

Archived