Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

So for a cruiser who is visiting Costa Maya for the first time, would we enjoy going downtown better? Would this provide more of a "flavor" of Costa Maya and then, perhaps, save Maya Chan for another trip?

It was our first time in Costa Maya too..............wouldn't have changed a thing about our decision to go to Maya Chan. It was great day!

As many have said, it all depends what kind of a day you are looking for and perhaps what you have planned in other ports.

Preston shows you how to do it. When we were there a 20-something girl couldn't get back in, I yelled "Preston!" and he quickly swam over a popped her back in. Don't worry, he'll be there to keep you safe. Everyone else was able to do it on their own. You push down on the front point of the kayak and jump forward. We went to Maya Chan twice and loved it.;)

Hahaha....well, my friends make fun of me because I can't get on a float in a pool, so I'm not really sure about this. But I might still give it a try. :D

We just got back from our second visit to Maya Chan and once again had an awesome time. In fact, they have improved the experience by adding more palapas and hammocks. My wife and I were assigned a palapa with two chairs, a beach bed and a hammock (which I used to take a nap after scuba diving while my wife got her one hour massage on the beach). The attached picture is the view from our Palapa.

I heard many people commenting on how wonderful the service, drinks and food was and that they regretting having to go back to the ship at the end of the day. However, one couple did return to the ship early as they found the beach "too sandy.":confused: I guess this proves that there is no pleasing everyone.

I ran into another couple on the ship a few days later that had initially booked Maya Chan but then decided to do a Costa Maya beach day on there own. They told me that people continuously trying to sell them things on the beach nearly drove them crazy and totally spoiled their day. Needless to say, there are no people trying to sell you things at Maya Chan.

I am pretty certain that every time we visit Costa Maya, you will find us at Maya Chan. For us, it really is the perfect way to spend a day at the beach. Dare I say, a little slice of heaven on earth.;)

DSCF2175.jpg.fe1508b4acd4b6c2c4c8771310695b91.jpg

We just got back from our second visit to Maya Chan and once again had an awesome time.

Hey there! I can't believe the trip is over and we never crossed paths! I have to say, I LOVED Maya Chan. I was so surprised to see that group leave early. Oh well, more amazing food and drinks for us, right?

I also had a massage on the beach and that woman has magical hands...well worth the $25 for 30 minutes.

There's really not much else to do there in Costa Maya so if you want to relax and really enjoy the day...this is the place to be!

We were just there too (Hi again Tiff!) We LOVED our day at Maya Chan zack, preston, perla and david were amazing hosts. We were greeted with an allocated area including a palapa, two chairs, a day bed AND a hammock for me and my mom - I lost count of how many times i got offered a drink as i swang happily in my hammock...seriously incredible service. Food was fantastic, from the chips and guacamole (my mother ate two baskets by herself) to the really great authentic lunch (steak & chicken fajitas, sea bass, bean soup, salsa - all delicious) I had three cocktails including a top notch margarita and so decided not to kayak, so Zack taught me how to play beach volleyball instead! Mum was delighted she got to watch Wimbledon on their big screen in the bar whilst we had lunch :) And NO VENDORS. It was a little slice of paradise.

We just got back from our second visit to Maya Chan and once again had an awesome time. In fact, they have improved the experience by adding more palapas and hammocks. My wife and I were assigned a palapa with two chairs, a beach bed and a hammock (which I used to take a nap after scuba diving while my wife got her one hour massage on the beach). The attached picture is the view from our Palapa.

I heard many people commenting on how wonderful the service, drinks and food was and that they regretting having to go back to the ship at the end of the day. However, one couple did return to the ship early as they found the beach "too sandy.":confused: I guess this proves that there is no pleasing everyone.

I ran into another couple on the ship a few days later that had initially booked Maya Chan but then decided to do a Costa Maya beach day on there own. They told me that people continuously trying to sell them things on the beach nearly drove them crazy and totally spoiled their day. Needless to say, there are no people trying to sell you things at Maya Chan.

I am pretty certain that every time we visit Costa Maya, you will find us at Maya Chan. For us, it really is the perfect way to spend a day at the beach. Dare I say, a little slice of heaven on earth.;)

I believe we actually met (although no formal introduction) as you were the only diver that day. If you are who I think you are I talked you into a shot of Tequila when you were sitting at the bar. I'll try to post a picture of the Lion Fish your divemaster caught.

It was a very nice day. Even the rain couldn't dampen the relaxing atmosphere (although I would have liked to do the bike tour). We will be back in November.

DW plans to dive when we return. A very nice, relaxing place. The staff couldn't do enough for you. Pleasant but not overbearing.

For anyone going there over the next month or so, Mark (the owner) will be on-site as David (his son) is vacationing in Europe.

Hi Mike,

That was me. The tequila was pretty good. I am not a big drinker but I should also have pointed out in my "review" that the drinks are truely free flowing. Tell them what you want, including shots, and your wish is there command. On the two times I have visited, people have enjoyed the open bar without overenjoying it, if you know what I mean.

I have not been able to do the bike tour either as it is offered in the am and has conflicted with my diving but David says it is a nice tour out to a mangrove area to look at nature and search for waterlife.

I am glad that you and your wife had a nice day. I actually missed the rain (must have been under water at the time).

John

Hi Mike,

That was me. The tequila was pretty good. I am not a big drinker but I should also have pointed out in my "review" that the drinks are truely free flowing. Tell them what you want, including shots, and your wish is there command. On the two times I have visited, people have enjoyed the open bar without overenjoying it, if you know what I mean.

I have not been able to do the bike tour either as it is offered in the am and has conflicted with my diving but David says it is a nice tour out to a mangrove area to look at nature and search for waterlife.

I am glad that you and your wife had a nice day. I actually missed the rain (must have been under water at the time).

John

John,

Nice to meet you. Yes, it rained while you were down under. I'm not a big drinker either (at least not anymore). And, as I told you, it had been more than 30 years since I drank straight Tequila but the first one I had was very good. The second (the one we shared) was also good but I preferred the first a little more. The rum punch was also good (not too strong but good).

All in all a very nice, quite, relaxing place to hang out for the day. Looking forward to going back.

I believe we actually met (although no formal introduction) as you were the only diver that day. If you are who I think you are I talked you into a shot of Tequila when you were sitting at the bar. I'll try to post a picture of the Lion Fish your divemaster caught.

It was a very nice day. Even the rain couldn't dampen the relaxing atmosphere (although I would have liked to do the bike tour). We will be back in November.

DW plans to dive when we return. A very nice, relaxing place. The staff couldn't do enough for you. Pleasant but not overbearing.

For anyone going there over the next month or so, Mark (the owner) will be on-site as David (his son) is vacationing in Europe.

You talked someone into a shot SHOCKING :eek::D:D

I see your heading out on the Oasis looks like fun we have a group thing going in Oct on the Radiance that is getting out of contol LOL what started out as Jayne and I and her cousin and husband turned into a wedding cruise for my nephew about 6 - 8 cabins and now some of our POPO friends have jumped on board another 2-3 cabins. You should come join us.

I now return to your previous post.

You talked someone into a shot SHOCKING :eek::D:D

I see your heading out on the Oasis looks like fun we have a group thing going in Oct on the Radiance that is getting out of contol LOL what started out as Jayne and I and her cousin and husband turned into a wedding cruise for my nephew about 6 - 8 cabins and now some of our POPO friends have jumped on board another 2-3 cabins. You should come join us.

I now return to your previous post.

You have no idea how hard it is talking someone into taking a shot. The bartender even asked me twice (oh the harrassment). Just to get him off my back I obilged:D.

Maybe I'll take a look at it (might be hard to swing both but you never know). I got a great price on Oasis so it was hard to pass up.

If you ever get to Costa Maya you need to go to Maya Chan (there back on topic). Think of the time we spent at the beach in St Martin without all the hassle, better food, drinks, and much quieter. Think you and Jayne would enjoy it.

You have no idea how hard it is talking someone into taking a shot. The bartender even asked me twice (oh the harrassment). Just to get him off my back I obilged:D.

Maybe I'll take a look at it (might be hard to swing both but you never know). I got a great price on Oasis so it was hard to pass up.

If you ever get to Costa Maya you need to go to Maya Chan (there back on topic). Think of the time we spent at the beach in St Martin without all the hassle, better food, drinks, and much quieter. Think you and Jayne would enjoy it.

Actually we will be there in Oct. is that on of the bars or is that a hotel? How far down the beach is it. We were there last year stopped part of the way down when the guy offered us free Tequlia shooters and beer 5 for $10 . :D:D

Actually we will be there in Oct. is that on of the bars or is that a hotel? How far down the beach is it. We were there last year stopped part of the way down when the guy offered us free Tequlia shooters and beer 5 for $10 . :D:D

It is about a 15 minute ride to the resort. Not a place you can show up. You will need reservations (go to their website: http://costamayabeachresort.com/) as they limit attendees to around 40 people. That is what makes it nice too! If you get a group or are added to a group the cost is as low as $49/person (ALL INCLUSIVE-Food, Drinks and Activities, including free internet, etc).

It is about a 15 minute ride to the resort. Not a place you can show up. You will need reservations (go to their website: http://costamayabeachresort.com/) as they limit attendees to around 40 people. That is what makes it nice too! If you get a group or are added to a group the cost is as low as $49/person (ALL INCLUSIVE-Food, Drinks and Activities, including free internet, etc).

They have added quite a few pictures to their photo album which I think will help those people considering a day at Maya Chan to get a sense of the resort and all it has to offer:

http://costamayabeachresort.com/costa-maya-resort-information/costa-maya-photo-gallery.html

we will be at maya chan in about 3 weeks. wondering if anyone has had lobster there? my husband absolutely loves it. when i spoke to mark, he said he would make sure lobster was available (i'm sure at an extra cost-which is fine). if anyone has had it on the menu, how was it prepared? so excited!!!

When we were there in January, the food served was limited, but absolutely delicious. There were flour tortillas in which you could put sea bass, a shredded BBQ beef of some sort, or shredded chicken. There was also beans and rice and the typical accompaniments for the tortillas. I believe there was also a soup. Maybe more - I just remember everything being so fresh and delicious, and you could eat as much as you wanted. There was a post a ways back on this thread that gave a good listing of the food available.

If Marc said he'd have lobster, then I imagine he will, but it will probably cost you. One thing that may affect you.... several years ago (OK, 15) I was in Akumal, and we had lobster - that had been frozen! They said August was out out of season for lobster and this was the only way to provide it. Perhaps things have changed, or maybe they were just yanking my chain, but you may want to inquire.

I went to Maya Chan July 8th from the Celebrity Solstice cruise and had a nice time. First, there's not much to do in Costa Maya. But Maya Chan is a great option to get off the ship and enjoy a relaxing day at a private beach. Mark and Jane are great hosts and make you feel like you're visiting at a friend's place at the beach. The food and drinks are great and the optional (but included) activities like ocean kayaks and sand golf were quaint but fun. The food was great (guacamole appetizer served at the beach, fajita buffet including an excellent sea bass in white wine sauce) as were the drinks (mango margaritas in particular). The bartender even knocked open some fresh coconuts from one of the trees on the property with just a straw added made for a great Gilligan's Island-like drink (the rum and pineapple juice added later made it even better!). Turtle grass on the beach is the only negative I can say, but there's nothing to be done except rake it away. But I give Maya Chan 9/10 rating as a great relaxing beach getaway that's fun and well run.

I went to Maya Chan July 8th from the Celebrity Solstice cruise and had a nice time. First, there's not much to do in Costa Maya. But Maya Chan is a great option to get off the ship and enjoy a relaxing day at a private beach. Mark and Jane are great hosts and make you feel like you're visiting at a friend's place at the beach. The food and drinks are great and the optional (but included) activities like ocean kayaks and sand golf were quaint but fun. The food was great (guacamole appetizer served at the beach, fajita buffet including an excellent sea bass in white wine sauce) as were the drinks (mango margaritas in particular). The bartender even knocked open some fresh coconuts from one of the trees on the property with just a straw added made for a great Gilligan's Island-like drink (the rum and pineapple juice added later made it even better!). Turtle grass on the beach is the only negative I can say, but there's nothing to be done except rake it away. But I give Maya Chan 9/10 rating as a great relaxing beach getaway that's fun and well run.

Hi tx_cruising,

We have a reservation at Maya Chan, when we go on the Allure of the Seas inaugural in December and I have a couple of questions please. We have read such great reviews and the response time to reservations and e-mails have been great. On their website it states that the kayaks are included?:confused: How much did they charge you for the kayaks and sand golf?

Can't wait to be on the Allure, as the Oasis inaugural was a blast. We also tried Celebrity for the first time this year and totally enjoyed the service, can't wait to try Celebrity again.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering these questions.;)

Everything at Maya Chan is included in the up front price, including the kayaks, with the only exception being the beach massages.

Thank you, that is what I thought. However, I am paying extra to have a "private palapa"...couldn't resist.:) Have a nice afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Would this be a good place for kids ages 10, 17 & 21? Would it keep them occupied? Otherwise I just don't know what to do at this port with them.

Also do they pick you up and take you back to the ship or do you need to find transportation?

Thanks !

Would this be a good place for kids ages 10, 17 & 21? Would it keep them occupied? Otherwise I just don't know what to do at this port with them.

Also do they pick you up and take you back to the ship or do you need to find transportation?

Thanks !

Kiraryker,

The price includes a ride back and forth to the pier, that is what the additional $10/person if for. Here is the link to their web site, it may help you decide about the kids. http://http://www.costamayabeachresort.com/

Hope this helps you out, have fun planning and happy sailing. ;)

Would this be a good place for kids ages 10, 17 & 21? Would it keep them occupied? .....

Thanks !

I don't know what your kids interests are but kayaks, snorkeling, bike tour and beach volleyball court are all available for no additional charge. Assuming your kids enjoy the beach, I would think your family will have a great time there. As previous poster stated, round trip transportation is included.

We just went to Maya Chan this past Wed so I have a few comments. The service is great, food was good and the beach is very peaceful. :D

That being said...I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned these few things that we didn't like about it:

The van ride takes about 1/2 hr from the pier and it is a VERY BUMPY ride. Most of the ride is on unpaved roads, so be prepared. :rolleyes:

The chairs they have are wooden lounge chairs and wooden Adirondack chairs. They are very uncomfortable :eek: They also have sunbeds which my son fell asleep on and said it was very comfortable, but if you are looking for comfy lounge chairs, forget it.

My son got a massage on the beach and loved it. $25 for a half hr. Well worth it.

Although we had a nice day there (well actually 1/2 day because Oasis doesn't get there till 12), we wouldn't go back. We would have preferred to use the free pool right at the port. Lots of free lounge chairs, live music, shopping, Mexican dancers, pool volleyball in a separate pool...very lively place.

Again this is just my family's opinion. Let me know if you have any questions.

We just went to Maya Chan this past Wed so I have a few comments. The service is great, food was good and the beach is very peaceful. :D

That being said...I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned these few things that we didn't like about it:

The van ride takes about 1/2 hr from the pier and it is a VERY BUMPY ride. Most of the ride is on unpaved roads, so be prepared. :rolleyes:

The chairs they have are wooden lounge chairs and wooden Adirondack chairs. They are very uncomfortable :eek: They also have sunbeds which my son fell asleep on and said it was very comfortable, but if you are looking for comfy lounge chairs, forget it....

I do recall mentioning this in my March 3 "review" back on page 8:

The drive to the resort is about 20-25 minutes on a fairly rudimentary road (lots of potholes force the cabs to go slow)....

I guess perhaps I underestimated the taxi ride time by five to ten minutes or so. It is definitely an unpaved rode with potholes but our taxi drivers on both visits there went slow to avoid the big ones. Although the ride is bumpy, we did not find it to be a signifant negative.

My wife and I did not find the beach chairs uncomfortable but my favorite spot is actually in one of the hammocks that they have there. Others can look at the chairs available on the picture page of the Maya Chan web site or the pictures I posted on page eight of this thread to get an idea what the chairs are like.

Different strokes for different strokes but for us the Costa Maya pier area is not a nice place to be: artificial, loud and crowded.

Archived