shasa tour

flyingandcruising

The boat is much smaller than some of the other tours available. I just returned from a cruise to Barbados and did the tour with Shasa. It was great! There were only four of us on the boat and pleanty of room. Jason is great has been sailing since he was 13 and born and raised in Barbados. He chose to go with a smaller boat to keep the number of people on his trips smaller and give more personalized attention which he does. He took us to a spot to snorkel with the turtles that the other tours don't go to, so we had them all to ourselves. There were at least six or seven turtles and they were all around us since there was no one else competing for them. We had a great time and I would highly recommend them. Be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

The boat is much smaller than some of the other tours available. I just returned from a cruise to Barbados and did the tour with Shasa. It was great! There were only four of us on the boat and pleanty of room. Jason is great has been sailing since he was 13 and born and raised in Barbados. He chose to go with a smaller boat to keep the number of people on his trips smaller and give more personalized attention which he does. He took us to a spot to snorkel with the turtles that the other tours don't go to, so we had them all to ourselves. There were at least six or seven turtles and they were all around us since there was no one else competing for them. We had a great time and I would highly recommend them. Be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

How far is it from the pier to where you board with Sasha? Also, once on board, how long does it take to get to where the turtles are? Thanks

How far is it from the pier to where you board with Sasha? Also, once on board, how long does it take to get to where the turtles are? Thanks

They pick you up right at the pier, and then its about a 15-20 minute drive to the beach where they pick you up. They pull the boat right up on the beach where you get on. The time to the turtles is a nice 30-40 minute sail I would guess. I really didn't time it. Once you finish at the turtle stop you will take another short sail to the next stop. Then sail back to where you started. The total trip on the boat was about 3-3.5 hrs.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I do have a couple ?

Because the boat is smaller, was it more rocky in the ocean?

It looks so small that i cant see anywhere that they serve the drinks/lunch? Washrooms? it looks like it goes underneath?

thank you

The boat was not rocky at all. You are sailing around the island so you don't go very far out from shore. I saw several of the other larger tour boats and they don't go far out either. My wife gets a little nervous on small boats especially if it is rough and she was very relaxed the entire way. As far a for the bathrooms, I didn't use them but one of the other people on the boat did. I would have to say it appears very small. You go underneath one of the pantoons and close the lid over you. The other pantoon opens up and that is where Jason will go to make you drinks, (definetly try the rum punch, he wouldn't reveal the receipe but it was great). We didn't do the lunch tour only the three hour tour, but if you do the lunch tour I believe you will go to a secluded beach where they serve you lunch.

We have sailed with Jason several times and always greatly enjoy it. We do the full day/ lunch sail. We had 8 guests on board and there was plenty of room. You can sit in the shade or out in the sun. He plays great music and drinks are as much as you want, until he runs out I guess. Very relaxing. The lunch is served on board; he lines up the dishes on one of the benches in the shade. He takes you to a quiet inlet and anchors there for us to swim, sit on the beach and then have lunch. Can't go wrong with him

Can't wait....just made my reservations w/Jason today. We'll be sailing with them on April 13...all the posts sound like it's a great time - smaller company, but great time. Sooo looking forward to it. What do they typically serve for lunch?

We sailed with Jason on the Shasa two weeks ago. We did the all day/lunch sail and were more than happy with our experience. We had a lovely chat with Tess on the ride to the beach, where you pick up the catamaran. I was wishing that she was coming to spend the day with us. Jason brings the cat right up to the beach and you will need to "jump" onboard. We only had my husband and I, and our two friends from the cruise ship onboard that day. It was heaven.

Jason suggested that we not go to the shipwreck where everyone else would be and took us to another reef where we were all by ourselves. When I jumped into the water and put my snorkel mask down, I thought I had jumped into an aquarium! I have never, ever had such abundance when snorkeling. One of our party was a timid snorkeler and Jason got in the water with her and made sure she was comfortable the whole time we were there. He had food for the fish, but I didn't see where it was needed at all.

The next stop was Jason's "private" turtle stop. No others here, as well. As soon as the boat stopped, three turtles were immediately circling the boat. Unfortunately, I had not planned for this and did not have an underwater camera with me. What a sin! By the time we got in the water and Jason began feeding the turtles the fish he had brought, there were 8-10 of them swimming up, over and around us. Wow!

All aboard and it's time to sail to a beach where Jason will anchor put lunch together. There was flying fish, chicken, several salads and it was all good. The best, however, was the carrot cake that he pulled out for dessert. I've had a lot of carrot cake in my life and this was, by far, the best I have ever eaten. As Rachel Ray would say, "Yum-O!!!"

There was more than an hour at the lunch stop to swim in to the beach, take a walk down it and just relax in those beautiful waters. Our friends didn't want to swim and just stayed on the boat and chatted with Jason.

Unfortunately, the day must come to an end. Tess is waiting on the beach where we were dropped in the morning, and she washes your feet with clean water before you put your sandals back on and get in the van. Very nice touch!

A word to the wise: there is not a lot of shade on the boat. We were fine, as there were only 4 of us, but if you had a larger group it could be an issue. There is a toilet onboard, but it's in the pontoon and looks a bit like a fighter pilot cockpit. Also, you are jumping off the side of the boat to get into the water and climbing up a several rung ladder to board. This is not a large catamaran that has those nice steps up the back! As long as you know that it is going to take some physical exertion to get in and out of the boat, you'll be all set.

We felt that our $80pp snorkel/sail/lunch with the Shasa was a terrific value and will plan to use them again when stopping in Barbados.

• 3 weeks later...

We are not experienced snorkellers and wonder how deep the water is where you stop to see the turtles - I appreciate that I won't be able to touch the bottom but I wouldn't feel comfortable if it were too deep. Also, regarding the getting in and out of the boat - we are pretty active but not that confident of jumping in from the side of the boat - do you think this would be a problem although I'm sure we'll be able to get back on OK. What do you think?

I'm not really sure how deep the water was its so clear that its really hard to tell. Jason has lifevests if you want one. And really no problem getting in and out of the boat. Kids would have no problem they will just climb right up. As for adults its easy just dont lean back when you climb up.

Jason is great we had a blast on the boat. Lunch was great the flying fish is sooooooooooo good. Our DD and her DF were with us and there veggies my daughter was so thrilled to see that he had 2 diff kinds of salads and a meatless pasta dish. You can't go wrong with Jason.

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...
We are not experienced snorkellers and wonder how deep the water is where you stop to see the turtles - I appreciate that I won't be able to touch the bottom but I wouldn't feel comfortable if it were too deep. Also, regarding the getting in and out of the boat - we are pretty active but not that confident of jumping in from the side of the boat - do you think this would be a problem although I'm sure we'll be able to get back on OK. What do you think?

The place he took us to was very close to shore and not very deep. You could easily see the bottom. The boat is not a very large boat so jumping off the side is nothing. He has a ladder so you could step in if you wish and put your fins on in the water.

I would say this is definitely a good tour with a couple of little kids. Jason is very watchful and patient and willing to teach. The water is certainly too deep to touch the bottom but not deep enough to worry about. We were with him on the 23rd of December. There were 11 of us on the boat plus Jason and it did not feel crowded. It is a small cat, for sure, but comfortable. We were able to stay out of the sun, while another family with us stretched out to sunbathe.

There was an older lady with us who was not a good swimmer. She was able to get on and off the ladder without problems, although she was nervous about it. He kept a close eye on her, and offered to tow her around on a float board at the reef because she didn't want to overexert.

Jason was very relaxed and friendly and gave us a great day. There was no hurrying and feeling left behind for anyone. He was in the water and helpful to anyone that needed it.

We sailed with Jason last March when we ported in Barbados. There were 8 of us on the tour (one couple took the 3 hr tour and got off before the rest of us). Tess and Jason went out of their way to make it a great experience for us all. Jason is always giving great instructions and is concerned that we respect the turtles and not try to touch them or chase them around like some of the other snorkellers were trying to do. He was in the water with us at each stop and kept a close eye on everyone who might need some help. We saw other larger catamarans but they were packed with people and didn't look very relaxing. I give top marks to Shasa! Professional, personal and a delicious catered lunch :)

• 2 weeks later...

When in Barbados last week, we used Shasa for a catamaran sail and snorkel excursion. Jason and his wife Tess were so friendly and great to work with. They were very prompt in responding to emails, gave clear instructions on where and when to meet at the cruise ship port, and provided us with a wonderful sail along the beautiful Barbados coast and a fabulous time snorkeling with the sea turtles. (We did not have lunch, but the others that were with us said the food was plentiful and delicious.) Although the catamaran itself is a bit smaller than some of the others you may see, we preferred the more intimate atmosphere and great personalized service with Shasa. We thoroughly enjoyed our excursion with Shasa and would not hesitate to use them again when we return to Barbados.

I also just returned from the Grand Princess and have only great things to say about Shasa Catamaran. Tess was great to work with before our sail and Jason pampered us all during our 5 hour sail. My priority was turtles and Jason made sure we swam with lots of turtles. There were at least 4 or 5 ships in port the day we were in Barbados and you would never have known that since Jason took us to areas that we were the only catamaran. We had plenty of beverages and a wonderful lunch and ample time to just soak up the sun or swim after lunch. It was an amazing day and I won't forget my trip with Shasa. You won't be disappointed if you choose Shasa:).

Debr

I also just returned from the Grand Princess and have only great things to say about Shasa Catamaran. Tess was great to work with before our sail and Jason pampered us all during our 5 hour sail. My priority was turtles and Jason made sure we swam with lots of turtles. There were at least 4 or 5 ships in port the day we were in Barbados and you would never have known that since Jason took us to areas that we were the only catamaran. We had plenty of beverages and a wonderful lunch and ample time to just soak up the sun or swim after lunch. It was an amazing day and I won't forget my trip with Shasa. You won't be disappointed if you choose Shasa:).

Debr

Debr, thanks for your review. How many people were on your catamaran? Also, how was the bathroom? Thank you for your review!

We took this tour in Nov 2007

Just wish that they had a private turtle snorkel back then

The tour then was good Had a long wait to be picked up at the pier for we were the only ones off a cruise ship that day all the others were from local hotels Both the shipwreck and the turtle snorkels were a mad house tons of people in the water and every shot we took had a body or part of a body in it:rolleyes:, The lunch stop was very peaseful the food good and the water was clear and warm and no one but us was around.

When we got aback to thier dock miss the van going back to the pier and was loaded on a van droping off others at thier hotels. We got dropoff Just about got tossed out of the van at the main gate.

After reading this review we are thinking of trying them again.

Paul

Debr, thanks for your review. How many people were on your catamaran? Also, how was the bathroom? Thank you for your review!

Hi,

We had 12 people (max) on the catamaran. There is not room for everyone to sit on a seat under cover, some have to sit out on the net area. That was fine with us, I loved being out on the net area in the sun (sail blocks the sun a bit). I personally did not use the bathroom, but other did, a marine potty on the side of the catamaran with a dome cover. I didn't want to give that a try!

Debr

Archived