Meet n Mingle for Oasis Viewing on Friday

Kelly,

It was great being able to speak to you this morning out on the 17th ST bridge during that momentous occasion and the absolute GREAT timing that you were able to hear her horn over the phone! It was very cool that I'm now watching my recording of GMA this morning and actually seeing the moment where the reporter has Captain Bill blast the horn that you heard over the phone live, very interesting time warp.

The moment you called Oasis was directly centered in the inlet and it was getting a bit hectic since I was taking photographs and also tending to two timelapses I was trying to record of her arrival and docking.

I was standing next to Scott Wilson who helped design many of the interior locations of the ship including Dazzles and Central Park! He was on the bridge to watch her arrival and then at 1230pm head over to board her and over see the loading of all the new plant life awaiting her on the pier.

Here is a shot of Scott chatting with a group of us attacking him with tons of questions about the ship:

4101160686_1c56b399b1.jpg

You may recognize him from photo's and video's posted on Oasis's actual website and he said he's been interviewed multiple times by Susan from Cruise Critic. He said he also loves chatting with Teo (i hope thats correct) her husband.

Shame Kelly that you didn't get to speak to him, I asked him before you called if he was willing to chat with you, which he was, but I could tell you were making the rounds calling other members hehe.

And here is a quick preview of a small timelapse I took with my smaller point and shoot Canon camera which was set up under my larger DSLR for the HD timelapse I hope to release by next week sometime.

4101161348_5472c97c09.jpg

This is raw straight off the camera with no audio, I will release an edited version later with music. Enjoy and I appreciate if everybody please respects my copyright on the timelapse, I will make the better version public on youtube and other sites. For now this link is exclusive to fellow Cruise Critic members:

http://is.gd/4UmoO

Just chatted (and heard Oasis' horn down the phone!) with member Joe aka thameth.

He is down at the 17th Causeway Bridge and says the atmosphere is amazing! Sounds like the party is happening!

He said: "The ship is taking up the whole of the inlet! There are about 35-40 people on this side of the bridge, and another 35-40 on the other side!"

Joe also tells me he has spoken to another 4/5 CC members! He arrived early - 6:40 a.m. and was about the 8th person there.

He is also standing next to one of the architects who designed Oasis - must be a very proud day for him!

He is hoping to get some photos to us asap!

Kelly,

It was great being able to speak to you this morning out on the 17th ST bridge during that momentous occasion and the absolute GREAT timing that you were able to hear her horn over the phone! It was very cool that I'm now watching my recording of GMA this morning and actually seeing the moment where the reporter has Captain Bill blast the horn that you heard over the phone live, very interesting time warp.

The moment you called Oasis was directly centered in the inlet and it was getting a bit hectic since I was taking photographs and also tending to two timelapses I was trying to record of her arrival and docking.

I was standing next to Scott Wilson who helped design many of the interior locations of the ship including Dazzles and Central Park! He was on the bridge to watch her arrival and then at 1230pm head over to board her and over see the loading of all the new plant life awaiting her on the pier.

Here is a shot of Scott chatting with a group of us attacking him with tons of questions about the ship:

You may recognize him from photo's and video's posted on Oasis's actual website and he said he's been interviewed multiple times by Susan from Cruise Critic. He said he also loves chatting with Teo (i hope thats correct) her husband.

Shame Kelly that you didn't get to speak to him, I asked him before you called if he was willing to chat with you, which he was, but I could tell you were making the rounds calling other members hehe.

And here is a quick preview of a small timelapse I took with my smaller point and shoot Canon camera which was set up under my larger DSLR for the HD timelapse I hope to release by next week sometime.

This is raw straight off the camera with no audio, I will release an edited version later with music. Enjoy and I appreciate if everybody please respects my copyright on the timelapse, I will make the better version public on youtube and other sites. For now this link is exclusive to fellow Cruise Critic members:

Was good to chat to you today! As I said, it sounded like you had a great time. Thanks for posting these extra images, too.

Would have been great to chat with Scott -- you should have just passed the phone his way and I could have bombarded him with questions! Lol! I think he may have chatted with Carolyn Spencer Brown -- she's our editor in chief. Will ask her!

What did he have to say about the Central Park? It's going to be an amazing addition to the ship isn't it?

Thanks again!

Was good to chat to you today! As I said, it sounded like you had a great time. Thanks for posting these extra images, too.

Would have been great to chat with Scott -- you should have just passed the phone his way and I could have bombarded him with questions! Lol! I think he may have chatted with Carolyn Spencer Brown -- she's our editor in chief. Will ask her!

What did he have to say about the Central Park? It's going to be an amazing addition to the ship isn't it?

Thanks again!

Hehe, I think it was one of those things that you said goodbye right as I was going to ask you if you wanted to speak to him, he's a busy man working on the Oasis non stop till Nov 24th getting her perfect for her maiden.

He said that Central Park is spectacular and said they've had some changes even just this morning with some of the plants and tree's that will be installed in the next two days due to USDA regulations. But everything is on schedule because the ship was given 4 days of contingency time to get everything done and the weather delay has taken 2 of those days already.

As many people guessed the blue and white smaller crane on the pier is there to load much of the greenery into Central Park. He was able to answer a ton of questions about that ship that I will have to remember and hopefully put into one post that will answer alot of people's questions about the ship.

Joe,

Thanks for the video. It looks Captain Bill (or Port Everglades pilot) had to make serval attempts at docking the Oasis. It is comical to watch it on timelapse.

I've taken a few of those quick timelapses with my smaller camera of ships docking and you'd be surprised that when sped it up they all seem to do that a bit.

We were all actually speaking with Scott about the length of time it was taking for the ship to finally tie up to the pier and finish her docking. By watching the wash of the azipods we could tell that they were probably trying to perfectly position her for that large crane so it could easily lift trees into Central Park.

I even was able to over hear Scott speaking with someone on the ship seeing they had enough clearance because at one point we were all wondering if the crane was tall enough to make it over the side of the towering ship!

Whats funny is that I only first introduced myself to Scott because we were both standing on the bridge next to each other around 7am when I overheard him on the phone clearly speaking to someone that was on the ship. So I asked him if he knew someone on the ship and he said of course because he was one of the architects that helped design many aspects of the ship! Of course from there I bombarded him with questions which he very kindly answered as much as possible along with a few that sadly I can't pass on... :p

But he did give tons of incite on things I can share so ask away I guess. Lots of cool little details.

Hi everyone! I can't wait to watch all the videos and time-lapse photos when I finally get a break from publishing news items about all these fabulous news ships.

Here's Kelly's story from Oasis, featuring our fabulous members!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3547

Hi everyone! I can't wait to watch all the videos and time-lapse photos when I finally get a break from publishing news items about all these fabulous news ships.

Here's Kelly's story from Oasis, featuring our fabulous members!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3547

Not really worthy of a correction, but after I hung up the phone with Kelly, Scott turned to me and said "I think there are more than 35-40 people here". I then looked again and hadn't noticed there must have been 100-200 people lining up down the length of the bridge, so it was just 35-40 people on the small viewing area we stood on, but it was more like 200 on the bridge total. And from some of the video of the local newscasts that were on the North Jetty it looked like another thousand or so people were on that beach too. It was definitely a beautiful day for her arrival, I can only imagine how many people would have showed if she arrived on Wed which was a holiday.

Kelly,

Thanks for posting.

Kelly,

What I found interesting was the visible amount of side to side movement at the top of the ship while docking. I can only imagine what it will be like in heavy seas.

What I found interesting was the visible amount of side to side movement at the top of the ship while docking. I can only imagine what it will be like in heavy seas.

Again, its common on all ships for them to do that. It just looks exaggerated in timelapse.

Scott Wilson mentioned that during Sea Trails they actually couldn't get it to list during hard turns for the US Coast Guard for her certification. They had to try everything they could along with loading its ballast fully to one side and it only made it 2.5 or so degree's of the 3 degree's that the Coast Guard wanted to observe.

Ohhhh, Just remembered...

I was able to confirm that Discovery Channel has been on the Oasis since Turku creating the "Building of...." documentary! A little birdie told me that they have had camera's set up all over the ship for timelapse of the building of the Boardwalk and Central park along with camera crews floating around covering her construction. I can't wait to see it!

I will try and speak to some of the contacts at Discovery Channel to double check this information.

florida-arrival3.jpg

Member Michelle (aka Olingirl) sent me this photo of Oasis docking into its

berth. She was down at the park around 7 a.m. EST and said it's been fantastic! Funny, you can't see anyone else in the photo!

She says the sun was shining and temperatures were in the low sixties.

"She is big -- bigger than I thought! There are a lot of crowds here, but Royal Caribbean has laid on hospitality tents. It's been great."

Michelle is set to board Oasis for the pre-inaugural cruise next week!

I was taking the photo through the Coast Guard fence after she berthed. Hence, the no people! Everyone was dispersing or behind me!

What a great morning!

I think they might be lol

I think that someone needs to visit: www.oasisoftheseas.com. Just spend the whole day there and when done, goto www.youtube.com and search for oasis of the seas and again watch the videos there. When finished goto www.stxeurope.com and look for the video link and in there is all three logbooks.

I think that someone needs to visit: www.oasisoftheseas.com. Just spend the whole day there and when done, goto www.youtube.com and search for oasis of the seas and again watch the videos there. When finished goto www.stxeurope.com and look for the video link and in there is all three logbooks.

Lol I think your right! :D Oasis 101 but its ok some people aren't obsessed like us! :rolleyes: ;)

Hi,

we won't be sailing the Oasis untill next winter, but we will be on other RCCL ships in a couple of weeks. After the 1st cruise we will have some time in Miami and we will be going to Ft Lauderdale to see the Oasis in port. I guess you need cruise tickets to get into the port, so I would like to know which would be the best point to see her from outside. We will probably take a Ft Lauderdale harbour cruise as well, but this will only give us a close-up view, I was hoping there would be a bridge or some other place we could stand and see her.

Instead of being a smart alek, ill just give a response. The opening in the back of the ship is the Aquatheater. An amphitheater used for diving shows, and fountain shows. I recommend going to www.oasisoftheseas.com and checking everything out. It'll make alot more sense ;)

It appears as though some people perceived my comments as being a smart alek when I was trying to help the person out with the websites that would show every aspect of the ship. In no way was I trying to be rude, yesterday was a busy day for everyone trying to get caught up on the events and trying to see everything. I may not have all the answers, but just like everyone else I'm on here day in and day out learning something new and if I can help another person out with information than I will do that.

I was at the Oasis event at the park in Dania. It was a beautiful day and a lot of fun. I took a few short videos, but the first video is of the "Main Event". This video ends abrubtly when I fell off the "sand cliff". I quickly recovered. The continuation is currently being uploaded to YouTube now. I will add the link when it is available.

Hi,

we won't be sailing the Oasis untill next winter, but we will be on other RCCL ships in a couple of weeks. After the 1st cruise we will have some time in Miami and we will be going to Ft Lauderdale to see the Oasis in port. I guess you need cruise tickets to get into the port, so I would like to know which would be the best point to see her from outside. We will probably take a Ft Lauderdale harbour cruise as well, but this will only give us a close-up view, I was hoping there would be a bridge or some other place we could stand and see her.

We disembarked the Majesty on Friday and drove over to Ft Lauderdale hoping to watch her come in ( the rumor on our ship was 9:30AM)...but we arrived at 9:15 and she was already docked. We walked over to the 17th street bridge after parking in Publix.There were still a few people there and it was amazing to see even from that distance.

Heres one of our shots

196093669_MAJESTY11.09199.jpg.3227ae04463f5a42db1c7652bab4d35e.jpg

837722400_MAJESTY11.09200.jpg.f1a4c47bf7cc1b3ed52d0d44ca99ad73.jpg

I was at the Oasis event at the park in Dania. It was a beautiful day and a lot of fun. I took a few short videos, but the first video is of the "Main Event". This video ends abrubtly when I fell off the "sand cliff". I quickly recovered. The continuation is currently being uploaded to YouTube now. I will add the link when it is available.

So that was you!!! Yes I saw the video this morning. It was good. I wasn't sure if you fell or what happend but I figure you had dropped the camera on the ground as that's what you see. I wil watch the remainder of your video. Thanks for doing it.

Archived