Azamara Journey TA in December of 2009

Fredr

Hello,

I saw great prices for the Azamara Journey's transatlantic cruise in December of 2009, and I wanted to bring to the attention of Azamara's fans. You cannot possibly find a better cruise value...an outstanding ship, interesting ports, a great port of departure and so on.

Hello,

I saw great prices for the Azamara Journey's transatlantic cruise in December of 2009, and I wanted to bring to the attention of Azamara's fans. You cannot possibly find a better cruise value...an outstanding ship, interesting ports, a great port of departure and so on.

We think so, too!

Hello,

Unfortunately my DW and I cannot go on this sailing. Please let me know if you want any help with Barcelona, Alicante, Gibraltar, or Funchal as we have visited these ports.

Thank you so much for your offer! I'd love to hear your suggestions for any of the ports (especially what NOT to miss), particularly Alicante. :)

Hello,

The following is provided , with the understanding that many of you have visited the ports talked abpout herein. And as such, you are free to agree or disagree what I write. or add what you would like to.

Barcelona:

To me this in one of the world's most interesting and vibrant cities. Do not miss the Sagrada Familia church, even if you can only walk around the outside of Gaudi's masterpiece. Across a busy street from the church is a McDonald's where you can sit outside and look at the church. See the Park Guell for the views of Barcelona. If you are a soccer fan, do not miss seeing the FC Barcelona Soccer Stadium. See the Gothic Quarter as you walk up or down Las Ramblas (the Gothic Quarter is one or two blocks off Las Ramblas). There is a hop on hop off tourist bus system called Bus Touristic that will show you all of Barcelona for a reasonable price. Sit upstairs where you are in the open air, on these buses. While there are wonderful restaurants in Barcelona, if you want some American food there is a Hard Rock Cafe on the Plaza Catalunya (the main square in Barcelona). As a major international city, English is spoken throughout most of Barcelona.

Alicante: Another poster is correct in that the best way to see this beautiful seaside city is by walking around. The ship will probably dock near downtown and it is an easy walk to the city's center.

Gibraltar: We took a tour here and I thought that it was worth the money. You can go on your own as it is a nice walk from the ship's dock to the city's center. The town itself looks like an English village but then the people come from all over to live and work in this prosperous city/island.

I would take the cable car (or go on a tour that includes a cable car ride up to the top of the Rock of Gilbraltar). There are some truly great views from the top of the Rock, but do not miss the Barbary apes (some are pretty big but most are the size of big monkees). They are fascinating to look at because of their beauty as they are golden in color. They are probably some of the best taken care of animals in the world. They are frisky and playful but you are warned to watch your hats and other clothing. They live at the top of of the Rock, where they frolic on the observation platforms. From these platforms you can see Spain, the African Continent, the Med, and the Atlantic ocean. Tours will take into the tunnels and an interesting amphitheater that have been built in the Rock.

Funchal: You can see Funchal by walking around this upscale friendly place whch is a part of Portugal. My DW and our friends took the cable high into the hills above the city. As I do not like cable cars except San Francisco's I stayed on terra firma in the small park by the base of the cable cars. I kicked a soccer ball around with a father and his young son who was about 8 years old...a delightful little guy who was a real showman bouncing the ball off his head in between perfect passes to his father and me. When their bus showed up, both waved good by to me. This was a priceless travel experience.

My wife and friends had a great time riding the cable car and kept telling me how much I missed.

La Palma: I have not visited this port.

Redtravel,

You are missing the point.

Those of us who enjoy Azamara understand that the ships are small, and that yes it can get bumpy on transatlantic cruises. As a group there are probably very few travelers as knowledgeable about travel and ships, as those who choose to go on Azamara cruises.

My point is simply this...I saw an excellent price on an Azamara cruise and wanted to tell others what I found.

Carnival has big ships, waiting for your business.

I appreciate that you were pointing out a good deal. TA cruises are usually less expensive because they don't appeal to a lot of people. I was just sharing my experience on the TA cruise. Don't insult me and tell me to go to Carnival. I do Seabourn,Oceania, Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, HAL, Princess, Crystal, etc. when the price is good. However, I have never done Carnival....and have no desire to sail it.

I appreciate that you were pointing out a good deal. TA cruises are usually less expensive because they don't appeal to a lot of people. I was just sharing my experience on the TA cruise. Don't insult me and tell me to go to Carnival. I do Seabourn,Oceania, Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, HAL, Princess, Crystal, etc. when the price is good. However, I have never done Carnival....and have no desire to sail it.

Well, they say there's a lid for every pot! Transatlantics appeal very much to us, and maybe it's a good thing they don't appeal to everyone or they would cost more and be harder to book.

And for us, the small ship is plus. You can find rough seas almost anywhere - they're not restricted to the middle of the Atlantic.

Lisa

Archived