Best place for lunch when you board the ship early?

tbmrt

I seem to remember reading something about a good place or location for lunch (we're taking Dawn and Sky) if one boards early rather than dealing w/buffet crowds. Can't find my notes on this.

We have balconies on both cruises if it matters.

I seem to remember reading something about a good place or location for lunch (we're taking Dawn and Sky) if one boards early rather than dealing w/buffet crowds. Can't find my notes on this.

We have balconies on both cruises if it matters.

Go to the MDR. They will sometimes try to steer you towards the buffet, but go to the MDR for a relaxing sit down lunch.

Go to the MDR. They will sometimes try to steer you towards the buffet, but go to the MDR for a relaxing sit down lunch.

That would be my choice, too. However, the MDR does not open really early, so it might not be open when you first arrive ... it should be open by 12:30 or so, so definitely check it out.

The buffet will probably be the only other option for the day of embarkation.

Weather permitting, the grill out on the pool deck will be open, probably with a band playing. Burgers, chicken, salads, etc if you are just looking at light eating. We like to sit our there, watch everyone board and have a drink maybe, saving some stomach room for an evening meal.

As a recent first time cruiser I will admit that this was, by far, the most confusing point of our cruise. Wandering on the ship...getting champagne and then just not knowing what the heck to do. Others seemed to have a plan but we found many, like ourselves, who were wandering around aimlessly.

The cook out was okay but if the MDR is available I might suggest that...you will have plenty of opportunity to have a burger at some point in the cruise. We didn't realize that the MDR was an option...oh well. We learned quite a bit on our first little cruise and can't wait to get back...hopefully if all goes well on the EPIC! (if I hit my goal!)

Why do you think the crew steers people to the buffet? I know it's faster and easier for them generally since it's not full service and people eat much more quickly, but the buffet is such an overpacked, chaotic zoo at sail-away. You'd think for crowd control reasons they'd advertise the MDR as well.

Why do you think the crew steers people to the buffet? I know it's faster and easier for them generally since it's not full service and people eat much more quickly, but the buffet is such an overpacked, chaotic zoo at sail-away. You'd think for crowd control reasons they'd advertise the MDR as well.

I can't answer why, but it is a fact that they try and herd people to the buffet. It may be nothing more than the crew thinking that is where folks want to be, cause it is outdoors, and there is a party atmosphere on the pool deck. I don't think it is a plot to keep anyone from the dining room.

If you are in a full suite, Cagney's opens for lunch at 12 or 12:30, depending on your ship.

Al

While I don't think it rises up to the nefarious-plot level, I don't think it's just crew members anticipating passengers needs. On my last cruise, which was in January from NYC, I was directed to the buffet and told the MDR was closed, even though I knew the buffet area would be crowded and the outdoor area would be too cold - it was 15 degrees outside. I ate in the MDR instead where waiters were standing around. I know NCL probably shifted a lot of the staff to the buffet area, but there was still a lot of servers for the MDR, who, again, were standing around. I also have read some reviews (albeit not recently so perhaps NCL stepped in) where crew members have told passengers that the MDR was closed. I just don't get it. But I am not buying the "crew is thinking of the passengers best intersts" argument.

It seems to me that the crew members are doing what they have been instructed to do....nothing to do with their own opinions or thoughts.

Now, why management wants this done is another question. If everyone was directed to the MDR, the chaos would be there instead. Table turnover will be faster in the buffet than the MDR, so many more people can be handled in the short two hours or so that is available.

I don't think that this is a problem at all .... just consider the knowledge that the MDR is open as a perk of being here on Cruise Critic and enjoy your time there.

I'm so glad i found this thread! I thought there was something wrong with me. Just a couple of weeks ago on the Star me and DH headed straight to MDR since we were told it was the only place for free cappucinos/espressos. We arrived at 1:20 Pm and the lady on top of the staircase proceeded to ask us if we had eaten already and told us to go to the buffet because they were closing at 1:30. After we convinced her to let us down just for take out coffee the lady at the desk said we could stay, since they didn't close till 2:00 PM. When I questioned the prev. person about it she said. Sorry, we usually close at 1:30! Make of it whatever you want, i still don't really know what to think of it.

It seems to me that the crew members are doing what they have been instructed to do....nothing to do with their own opinions or thoughts.

Now, why management wants this done is another question. If everyone was directed to the MDR, the chaos would be there instead. Table turnover will be faster in the buffet than the MDR, so many more people can be handled in the short two hours or so that is available.

I don't think that this is a problem at all .... just consider the knowledge that the MDR is open as a perk of being here on Cruise Critic and enjoy your time there.

TY

I'm not advocating that everybody be directed to the MDR only. That makes as much sense to me as directing everyone only to the buffet. Both are open and available to all passengers. Why not try to use them both as efficiently as possible?

It's a question in the back of mind for a while and thought someone on the boards might have a good reason for it. I agree with you that it is a decision being made at the management level, I'm just wondering why.

We were on the Dawn in August and had lunch in the MDR. It opened at noon and it was great. The food at the sail away was horrible so don't wait for that. Overdone food and dried out corn , the fruit was ok. Don't worry there are many places to eat during the cruise and the food is good. Have a blast.

On the DAWN--the main dining room is the Venetian.

You will board the ship in the Atrium.

Immediately make a left and continue down the hall to the end and make a right, a few steps to your left are a set of stairs. They will bring you to the Venetian. In JUne, there was a LONG line to be seated, but we were seated in about 10--15 min.

I LOVE THE LUNCH in the Venetian!!!! Especially the goat cheese stuffed portabello appetizer, and the choc mousse dessert!:D

We always try and board very early, and usually head to the Buffet to see what's around. After we eat at the buffet, we head to the MDR for dessert. We have NEVER been told it's closing, or anything else like that. In fact, when we tell them we just want dessert, they seem pleased we thought of them for that.

Archived