First time cruising

ant78

Hi, Im a first time cruiser going on the Thomson Destiny Coral and Gem Island cruise on 28th March '10 with my daughter and 2 grandsons and would appreciate any tips. I have browsed the reviews and have found lots of useful info especially regarding diy port excursions. I would love to hear from anyone that will also be on this specific cruise. Looking forward to hearing from you. Ps this is my first posting on cruise critic. :confused: ant78

Welcome!!! We're doing the same cruise on 17th January!!

We went to the Caribbean last year on P&O and we didn't do one arranged excursion. Most of the places you can walk into - or we got a taxi.

Tortola, St Lucia and St Maarten are beautiful places, We went to Sugar Cane Bay at Tortola - just got in a taxi and asked the driver for a run round the island and then to stop at a beach with a bar. In St Maarten we just walked up the main street, then went to the beach which was absolutely beautiful, it cost 10$ for 2 beds, 1 parasol and 2 red stripes!!! The attendant just kept coming back on the beach with a bucket filled with ice and red strip - blisssssss. Can't wait to go back!!

Ann

Hi ant78:)

Welcome to the Thomson board. You will find us a friendly lot so ask anything you like and there will always be someone who knows the answer, or where to direct you to find out.

We did this same cruise in March this year and have just booked it again for March 2011 because we loved it so much.

We did mostly Thomson excursions, but found that outside almost all the ports there are plenty of organised tours which can be taken.

One thing I can suggest, is that if you want to swim with the dolphins in Tortola, book it online before you go. It is a lot cheaper than the Thomson excursion and there are less of you in a group so you get more time with the dolphins. As previously stated Cane Garden Bay is beautiful and if you don't mind a bit of a hike, then Sage Mountain is a must. The views from the top are spectacular.

Also in Dominican Republic the tour to Altos de Chavron is excellent. It includes a tour around a lovely artists village and you see the church where Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley were married, and then you get a trip on a paddle steamer down the river - it's lovely. We did this at the end of our first week in the middle of the two itineraries.

In St Maarten we did a coach trip to the French part of the island where we walked around the market by the sea and then on our way back we got dropped off in the Dutch part where you can do some serious shopping. There is a ferry across to the ship which goes backwards and forwards as often as you like (for a small charge).

If you go onto the Thomson site you can see the trips they offer and it will give you an insight of what to expect. Mind you with children you may want to go to the beach more often and there will always be taxis to take you where you want to go. But do try to see some more of the islands as well as it would be a shame to go all that way and not see what each of the islands has to offer.

There are some extensive reviews of the islands on this board and I'm sure someone can re-direct you to them - Over to you Kruzseeka!!!!!

Hope this helps a bit.

Janet:)

Hi ant78:)

There are some extensive reviews of the islands on this board and I'm sure someone can re-direct you to them - Over to you Kruzseeka!!!!!

Hope this helps a bit.

Janet:)

Hello ant78 - and welcome! :)

You have already been given some very good advice regarding excursions in the Caribbean. Janet has suggested I add my two penneth - so I'll post these links - although you may have already seen them.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com...d.php?t=929750

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com...caribbean+gems

As you will read, quite a few of us did this cruise early this year - and had a fab time. There is quite a lot of feedback on different posters' experiences and the trips they did so I hope it will help you to get an idea of what you might do. It certainly helps to plan ahead and as has been described, most island excursions can easily be done using local taxis.

If you have any specific queries - just get back I'm sure one of us will be able to help. :)

We cruised the Caribbean twice on "Destiny" when she was Suncruises Sunbird. You have opted for an excellent cruise on a lovely ship. I always think that she is the right size to have good facilities while maintaining a small ship friendlyness. I also think that Thompsons entertainment is superior to many other cruise lines.

As fairly seasoned cruisers we tend to do a mixture of DIY and ship organised tours, depending on the tour and costs. Things to consider are that the ship won't wait for you if you are late back. If you hire a taxi for the day you will get excellent local knowledge and the option to visit places that the coaches can't get to. My advice would be to not overload on tours, that way you get to go back to see the places you missed;) Have a great cruise, but beware it is highly likely you will become addicted.

Hi, everyone and thank you all so much for your replies they are very informative. We do intend to see each island although on some it will be purely beach based. We are definitely going to swim with the dolphins on Tortola and so thanks to your advice we know we will be able to prebook at a much better price than thomsons would charge. My daughter Sarah-Jane and I are also looking forward to the duty-free shopping in St Maarten/St Martin! Thanks once again and I know I will be asking loads more questions.

Archived