This Is Enough To Make You Sick...

footzz

We recently cruised with a couple and one of them experienced a bout of diarrhea. They subsequently went to the ships medical center to obtain anti diarrhea medication, something they have done on other cruises.

So these people knew before they left that cruising gives them the runs and they didn't bother to plan ahead and bring a little OTC help? And that's now somehow the cruiseline's fault?:confused:

So these people knew before they left that cruising gives them the runs and they didn't bother to plan ahead and bring a little OTC help? And that's now somehow the cruiseline's fault?:confused:

Cruiseline is just protecting itself against lawsuits or massive outbreaks of Noro or even swine flu these days. To be honest, if I were sharing a table with multiple people from the same family who both had this, I could see being a bit nervous.

They are certainly due some form of compensation for their inconvenience, especially in view of the fact they were not ill. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you think their treatment was unjust? Do you think they deserve get a refund or any form of compensation, and if so, what’s fair?

Unfortunately, no compensation or refund is warranted.

It sounds as it your friends have cruised in the past and are well aware that medical services/meds are freely available. However, this can be a double-edged sword. Yes, you get the medication you need, but the cruise line reserves the right to quarantine guests based on the information provided to them (self-admitted illness; albeit it temporary). If I am confident it is a case of an upset stomach, I will not be seeking medical attention for that. :rolleyes:

Looks like the OP doesn't get any supportive votes :p

I have to agree, if it is merely a bout of diarrhea you shouldn't try to stop it anyway. You'd just end up constipated instead. If it a condition where you need medication to stop the diarrhea, it's best you remain quarantined to protect the rest of the pax onboard the ship.

I also find that these stories always seem to be in favor of the story teller and the "bad guy" cruise line is always terribly mean.

So, in the future take your small OTC med kit and only use the medical facilities for serious medical needs.

Been there done that!!! Learned the lesson well - make sure you pack lots of OTC drugs with you AND NEVER EVER tell anyone you have the runs!!!!!!!!!!!

Also as the "well" person that is quarantined, it can make for a very long few days with someone you really don't like right at that moment!!!!!!

To be honest, if I were sharing a table with multiple people from the same family who both had this, I could see being a bit nervous.

And I sure as hell wouldn't be at that table long!!

People talking about such things at the table, YUCK! :eek:

"Good evening! How is everyone?"

"Well, me and Betty here, we got the ****s something awful, wasn't sure we'd make it away from the crapper to get to dinner. Not sure we'll make it all the way to dessert, but we're gonna try!"

well to put a different spin on this

I have had a inflamed and chronic gall bladder off and on for over 18 months

couldnt have surgery as they thought my cancer was back its not thank God

surgery will be Feb 23 but my cruise is Jan 20 so If I enjoy eomething or even one lobstor and my chinese herbs dont do the trick I will be in the biffy for a while I wonder now if I need a note from family dr stating tis a gall bladder problem

I will bring meds to avoidn any problems

surgery will be Feb 23 but my cruise is Jan 20 so If I enjoy eomething or even one lobstor and my chinese herbs dont do the trick I will be in the biffy for a while I wonder now if I need a note from family dr stating tis a gall bladder problem

Bring your meds. When you have to stay in your cabin say you have a headache.

Bring your meds. When you have to stay in your cabin say you have a headache.

You shouldn't have to lie...or offer excuses to anyone. I often just stay in my cabin, order room service, spend time on the balcony or with a good book. No one from the ship's crew has ever asked, and I've not ever been reported. And I use a wheelchair, so they might think that perhaps I've been ill.

Bring your gall bladder meds, stay in your cabin if you wish..and I hope you don't have any problems through your cruise!

I would say, Why Not get that doctor's note?

Sorry for what you have been thru, hope you remain healthy, and have a great cruise with no extra "biffy" time! (thanks for the new "loo" word!)

No, you shouldn't, but you might have to if the steward reports that someone in the cabin is ill to the medical staff.

If I'm going to be in my cabin all day, I make sure to put on the "do not disturb" sign. The steward should not even knock on the door if that sign is in place...and so wouldn't know WHAT I'm doing in the cabin.

If I'm going to be in my cabin all day, I make sure to put on the "do not disturb" sign. The steward should not even knock on the door if that sign is in place...and so wouldn't know WHAT I'm doing in the cabin.

Don't count on it. If thy're unable to access your cabin for an extended period, don't be surprised if a housekeeping supervisor or security officer comes to check on the cabin, for very obvious reasons.

When I had norovirus a few years ago on a ship, no one had to quarantine me because I could not have left my bed and bathroom for 3 days.:(

There is nothing like norovirus memories to make you a compulsive hand washer on a cruise.:)

The same goes for me. I was home fortunately, not on ship, (although I had debarked the day before) but I was so sick and had no control whatsoever over my bowels. (very embarrassing even for my husband to know that-for me) I was sicker than I have ever been in my life, and felt so helpless. Even after I was better, I was afraid to leave the house for 24 hours.

while it stinks (no pun intended) that they were confined to their cabin the cruise line needs to taks the precautionary route to insure the health of all on board. Its great that there were no additional symptoms but the line did the right thing and sadly I need to side with them, that no $ is owed back to them

I could be the person the OP wrote about...but here is my story. I get VERY sick the first night of every cruise!!! I could tell you to the minute when it will occur. So the 3rd time it happened, I still was not anticipating it and did not take meds with me. I ended up getting quarantined by the infirmary, as well as my husband EVEN THOUGH WE TOLD THEM IT HAPPENS TO ME THE FIRST NIGHT OF EVERY CRUISE!

by the next morning I was fine but we still were quarantined for half of the cruise. I complained enough that we did get credit for a future cruise.

Now I'm lots smarter. I would never go to the infirmary. I take meds prophylactically and now I get LESS sick than previously. I would love to know what causes it. I know it is not seasickness...I've been on cruises with 1/2 of the cruisers sick due to a storm and I was not sick. If I could just figure out how to get through the first night without getting sick. I must really love to cruise to put up with this!!!

Archived