This Is Enough To Make You Sick...

footzz

We recently cruised with a couple and one of them experienced a bout of diarrhea. They subsequently went to the ships medical center to obtain anti diarrhea medication, something they have done on other cruises. After dispensing the medication the doctor told them they “both” had to sign a voluntary isolation form and stay confined to their cabin for three days. There was only one person with the one symptom, the diarrhea. There was no nausea, headache or fever. The only alternative to given to them, if they refused to sign the agreement, was to be put off the ship at the next port. The “illness” lasted for perhaps four hours. The doctor came to the cabin a couple of times to follow up and there was never any recurrence of any form of GI problem.

After spending the two days confined to their cabin, they were "released" on the third day for an excursion they purchased through the cruise line. They went to customer service to discuss the matter, but the customer service representative refused to discuss any form of compensation citing Coast Guard and company policies. However, they would not/could not produce any copies of these “policies” that resulted in their being quarantined. They were not charged for any medical services. Needless to say, it put a real damper on their vacation.

They are certainly due some form of compensation for their inconvenience, especially in view of the fact they were not ill. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you think their treatment was unjust? Do you think they deserve get a refund or any form of compensation, and if so, what’s fair?

Diarrhea is one of the most common symptoms of norovirus. You might want to do a search on this site for all of the information regarding this condition and the precautions cruise ships have to take regarding its potential to rapidly spread in confined locations such as cruise ships.

It's a good idea to bring your own anti-diarrheal medication...that way, they could have stopped their own symptoms, and gone about their business. Had it been Noro, they would have suffered more than 4 hours! Probably a food-related reaction.

Yes, it's a bummer, but the ship was trying to prevent the rest of the passengers from some sort of outbreak of a most unpleasant illness!

I had a lovely bout of norovirus three years ago on Mercury. The ship was ABSOLUTELY CORRECT to quarantine you, out of concern for the entire crew and thousands of passengers. The cruise line owes you NOTHING--and you should thank your lucky stars you didn't have the full blown norovirus.

Truly, count your blessings.

Well, it is a bummer, but I do not feel they deserve compensation. The symptoms were bad enough they decided to seek medical attention, and boy did they get attention. If one is indeed ill, one certainly should get the medical attention and accept the precautions. If one has only mild, indulgence-related upset, perhaps take your own medication or tough it out.

I do not think their treatment was unjust or unfair and I hope you don't really think that the cruise line should give them some sort of compensation or refund. The person had diarrhea and got medicine for it, end of story. From now on bring your own medicine in case it happens and avoid going to the ships doctor unless necessary.

You say he was not charged and the doctor came to their cabin to check on them. I certainly think that qualifies as good care and I don't know what you are complaining about.

Sorry, I also don't think they deserve any form of additional compensation. I say "additional" because usually trips to the infirmary result in a very large charge, and having the doctor come to your cabin only increases the bill -- and you say they weren't charged at all. That's customary these days when a cruise line thinks the persom may have the norovirus - -they encourage a passenger to come to the infirmary for meds, and don't charge.

Whenever I travel and know my eating habits are going to be "unusual", or different from home, I always take simple diahhrea meds, constipation meds, stomach upset meds. If I have symptoms of "something" and my own remedies don't work (so far they have!), then I'll go to the infirmary. Otherwise, I treat that sort of thing on my own, maybe hanging out in my cabin for several hours or overnight to be sure I'm OK, then go about my business. Which is what your friends could have done, if they'd planned ahead a bit.

They went to customer service to discuss the matter, but the customer service representative refused to discuss any form of compensation citing Coast Guard and company policies. However, they would not/could not produce any copies of these “policies” that resulted in their being quarantined.

Don't know what cruise line you were on but this is from the Carnival ticket contract. Other cruise lines have similar wording:

"Carnival and the Master each reserves the right to refuse passage, disembark or confine to a stateroom any Guest whose physical or mental condition, or behavior would be considered in the sole opinion of the Captain and/or the ship's physician to constitute a risk to the Guest's own well-being or that of any other Guest"

I do not think their treatment was unjust or unfair and I hope you don't really think that the cruise line should give them some sort of compensation or refund. The person had diarrhea and got medicine for it, end of story. From now on bring your own medicine in case it happens and avoid going to the ships doctor unless necessary.

You say he was not charged and the doctor came to their cabin to check on them. I certainly think that qualifies as good care and I don't know what you are complaining about.

Ditto.

Had they actually been ill and spread the illness, that would have been far worse. Maybe not for your friends, but impacting a much larger percentage of the pax that week so of far larger concern to doc and crew.

It happened to them, so it sucks for them, but Doc was right. They can do this. Nothing owed. Risk of being at sea. Get sick, get shut in.

Same thing happened to some friends of ours on a Carnival cruise, one guy was having the same issue as your friend but due to consuming several dozen extremely spicy wings the night before their cruise. We still give him a hard time about it whenever possible... Immodium Boy.

Yep, no compensation for their quarentined time in their cabin.

Before my first cruise, a number of years ago, my Dr. recommended I begin taking a few doses of Pepto Bismal before I left home, every day during my cruise, and even a few days after I got back home. Never had a problem with Montezuma's Revenge; knock wood.

Now I "don't leave home without it".

Immodium comes with me whenever I travel!

It must have been very frustrating to be confined to quarters when not sick, but cruise lines have to be very careful about contagious diseases, and, in this case, I don't think compensation should be expected.

On the other hand, if you self-medicate with Immodium or whatever and it is in fact norovirus or some other highly contageous gastro problem there's the risk you will spread it throughout the whole ship if you don't confine yourself to your cabin. I used to wonder if the cruiselines' policies on D&V type illnesses were too stringent but I now know they need to be. Yes, it's disappointing and inconvenient to miss tours or rely on room service for a couple of days but it's the only way. And no, you don't get compensation. It comes under the category of Bad Luck unfortunately.

Yeah, staying in the room goes without saying. Catching noro and speading it isn't acceptable. Eating too many hot wings and having THAT GI problem is another. The sawbones will lock you down for the runs. It isn't always noro. Think bad clams.

Sorry, I also don't think they deserve any form of additional compensation. I say "additional" because usually trips to the infirmary result in a very large charge, and having the doctor come to your cabin only increases the bill -- and you say they weren't charged at all. That's customary these days when a cruise line thinks the persom may have the norovirus - -they encourage a passenger to come to the infirmary for meds, and don't charge.

Whenever I travel and know my eating habits are going to be "unusual", or different from home, I always take simple diahhrea meds, constipation meds, stomach upset meds. If I have symptoms of "something" and my own remedies don't work (so far they have!), then I'll go to the infirmary. Otherwise, I treat that sort of thing on my own, maybe hanging out in my cabin for several hours or overnight to be sure I'm OK, then go about my business. Which is what your friends could have done, if they'd planned ahead a bit.

I SO agree! My stomach does not like being away from home :(, on a cruise or elsewhere! I also know the difference between "traveler's" problems and being really ill.

As an FYI, if you buy anti-diahhreal meds in the shops on some ships it will be reported and the doctor will give you a call :eek: ! Bring some from home, just in case! I would like to think that most of us know when we're really ill and would check with the doctor if needed.

I appreciate the policies of making people be "isolated" when sick. It does help prevent the spread of a nasty virus. That being said, I always bring every OTC medicine I can think of because, unless I am very very sick, I do not want to take the chance of that happening to me. I guess they will learn to do the same next time... should they choose to cruise again.

They are certainly due some form of compensation for their inconvenience, especially in view of the fact they were not ill. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you think their treatment was unjust? Do you think they deserve get a refund or any form of compensation, and if so, what’s fair?

I have heard of similar stories here on CC. It sounds over the top, but the Dr. has his obligations. I really don't know if their treatment was unjust. I would sure be upset if I missed all that time on my precious vacation. I don't think calling and calling to argue for a day or two of refund would do anything for me except raise my blood pressure. It's too bad what happened to your friends, but they should put it behind them, and if they are upset enough, choose a different line next time.

Folks here can call me any name they want. But I would never go to the ships Dr. with those symptoms unless I was unbearably sick. We carry over the counter medications for cases like this. I don't want to be quarantined.

Folks here can call me any name they want. But I would never go to the ships Dr. with those symptoms unless I was unbearably sick. We carry over the counter medications for cases like this. I don't want to be quarantined.

Actually, most of us agree with you. I take the over-the-counter meds for "normal" stomach upsets -- no fever, no violent vomiting, just the general "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!!" kinds of upsets. It's generally gone by morning. If not, THEN I might head to the infirmary.

Seems to me most everyone else on the thread would do approximately the same thng...treat it first, and hope it goes away.

I just finished packing and remembered I didnt pack my "medicine cabinet." I usually take a homemade firstaid kit with all the essentials, including a couple of Imodium. It's nothing like going somewhere and having to pay $3-$5 bucks for one pill when I could have bought a whole bottle. I have a pack of Bonine, and I'll pop one on friday night and Saturday. I should be good after that.

It's good to know they can quarantine you for the runs. Could be as simple of an upset stomache or something more serious. If it lasted more than a couple hours, I would go to see the doctor. I think most people know when something is not right or something funky is going on their bodies.

When I had norovirus a few years ago on a ship, no one had to quarantine me because I could not have left my bed and bathroom for 3 days.:(

There is nothing like norovirus memories to make you a compulsive hand washer on a cruise.:)

Well OP did say they were only "sick" for 4 hours. I personally would have just stayed in the room,, I would never rush to the doctor for the trots,,especially if they only had just started,, and lasted only a few hours.

I do think it would be upsetting though to be quarantined,, I mean , cabins are SMALL, and if one didn't have a balcony,, well, I would go nuts in an Interior cabin for 3 days,, I think I would RATHER be put off ship.. LOL

Archived